Powder coating, how many times.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I have a set of wheels that needed a refurb(wife and kerbs:no:) were done maybe 4 years ago and now starting blister slightly, so can I do them again or does the process affect the wheels and it’s not something to repeat?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Mine have been powder coated at least twice. As I was also concerned, this time round I just had them professionally sprayed. And so far the finish has held up really well. And cost me 1/3 of the price of powder coating.

Reactions: DaveysFR

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
Just me experience, I have had 2 sets of wheels powdercoated over the years on my MK2 Cupra. I find that powdercoat is durable yes but when hit with stones from chipping it will shatter more than a painted wheel and lose more fragments of the powdercoat than of paint. The last time I had wheels professionally rubbed down painted in anthracite and lacquered 3 coats and it is definitely more day to day use friendly than powdercoating was.

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
I’ve had a full set powder coated then had to get 1 wheel done after a couple of years cause I scuffed it.
The whole wheel was blasted and re done again. They didn’t say anything about only being able to do it so many times.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
In theory refinishing the coating can be done as many times as you like, the issue is why you needed to. If the wheel was corroded, buckled, heavily kerbed etc then there are limits to how many times it can be repaired, then coated.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Oh, just one more thing to add. The place that sprayed my wheels sent me to their paint supplier to pick my own colour. They barely used half the can and gave me the other half back. So theoretically if I kerbed one alloy, I could have it resprayed in the same original batch of paint. So that's another plus!

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
I think the issue of how many times is related to the diamond cut surfaces. If you are powder coating them or re-powder coating you can do it as many times as you like.
The reason the diamond cut can't be repeated more than a couple of times is because they have to shave a bit of the surface away which as you can imagine there is a only so much alloy to work with.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.