Mk3 Seat Leon 184 Starting Problem

MaximusDoom

Oct 2, 2014
Nottingham, UK
Hi Guys,

This is my first thread so please be gentle!

I have a 2013 Mk3 Seat Leon 184ps. I have had this since September 20014 and previous owner was the dealer as a demo model.

I have had some issues with the car taking a while to start (turning over but not kicking in) in all sorts of weathers and temperatures, no real pattern. I started a couple of years ago when it would take 5 - 6 seconds to start. I don't know about you, but to me that’s ages when you're sat waiting for it to kick in while turning over.

Eventually it would not start at all. It went into Seat who changed the primary fuel pump and the sender unit on the petrol tank. After that it seemed fine but after a few weeks it started to take a while to start and then one day I did a 50 mile run, filled up with fuel and it turned over really quickly/rapidly, like it was really trying to start but just wouldn't kick in. I sat, like a Muppet, on the phone to seat and told them about the issue and while on the phone I turned the key and it turned over once and kicked in straight away! I took it to Seat who said there was an ECU update due to some issues with starting, so they updated it which appeared to solve all my problems. About one month after they did this the start up problem of taking 5-6 seconds was back. I told Seat who said that the next thing they would need to change would be the ECU or the high pressure fuel pump. Either of which is £1500+ and they also said that this may still not solve the issue!!!

So, I decided to put up with it with no real clue as to what to do. And then today, I've been out this morning, kicked in on first turn of key, no issues. Got home, left it for around 3 hours, got back in and it was turning over rapidly again like it was really trying and wouldn't start!! I did this 3 or 4 times with the same result. Got on phone to green flag and on hold for 5 minutes so I thought I'd try one last time and, hey presto, started in the first turn of the engine?

I am absolutely clueless what the issue may be and extremely frustrated, never knowing if I’m gonna have the issue or not! Seat appear to just want to use me as a cash cow and its such a lovely car if not for this starting issue.

Has or is anyone else experiencing long starting/turn over time or random none starts with these circumstances?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and the car is completely standard, no remaps, nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I have a 184 TDI aswell. I would say at least 2-3 times a week, it does turn over for a few seconds before starting. So far it has never not started at all though. There is quite a few threads on this topic and it seems to be quite common with the 184 TDI engine.

Reactions: MaximusDoom

MaximusDoom

Oct 2, 2014
Nottingham, UK
I have a 184 TDI aswell. I would say at least 2-3 times a week, it does turn over for a few seconds before starting. So far it has never not started at all though. There is quite a few threads on this topic and it seems to be quite common with the 184 TDI engine.
I have struggled to find any threads, I'm pretty new to the forum scene. Basically a bit slow! Lol Any chance of some pointers to find these other threads.
Thanks for the reply btw

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Try leaving ign on for a couple of seconds before you turn it over. See if that makes a difference

This.

I do this now, turn ignition, pop on seat belt, wait a couple of seconds and then start.

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Youtube has the answer. Seach vw ea288 long crank diagnose. It is due to a bad solonoide in the vvt drive.
Good info and great video guide buy the mech.

Thank you for the link.

From watching that video it seems its particles of crap in the oil that blocks the valve making it stick. That's another reason to add to my list of long interval servicing hates.

I dont have this problem yet but if i did id certainly be doing an oil flush and change before replacing the VVT valve to see if the valve can be unstuck.