Cupra 290 - first impressions

Jackson

Sep 30, 2019
Hi all

I finally picked up my 2019 290 on the weekend after weeks of deciding between an S3 or the Leon. I definitely made the right choice!

The last SEAT I owned was a 2010 Bocanegra and can see just how much SEAT have upped their game in terms of interior build quality and materials.

I have a 110 mile round trip commute, and managed 41mpg in the morning and 39mpg on the way home. I use 2 motorways, lots of A roads and some B roads. I was hugely impressed with the returns.

Parking up at home, I noticed one of the headlights had some condensation build up. The weather has been horrendous of late but has anyone experienced any problems with this? I know condensation can build up but I’m hoping it’s nothing that needs checking.

The car is effortless to drive and surprisingly smooth even in Sport/Cupra mode. I have Conti’s on all 4 corners which are doing a decent job.

Exhaust isn’t as loud as the S3 which isn’t a bad thing for my neighbours at 6.30am!

Using V-Power at the mo, Has anyone tried both 98/99 and 95? Have you noticed any real difference?

Thanks
J

Reactions: Blaptastic

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Congratulations on becoming a proud owner of a Cupra.

I looked at the spec sheet for an S3 of equivelent spec to a cupra. You are looking at atleast another £10k just for an audi badge. They both use the same build platform anyway so why not save some money.

As for the exhaust noise, the exhaust will get throatier after 3-4,000 miles. I myself have a 100 mile round trip commute and I'm laughing at my brother with his M140i and his 30mpg. The engine efficiency is truly impressive.

Fuel wise, Shell V-power is a premium fuel based on the fact it has an advanced engine cleaning additive pack mixed in to it. The fuel quality itself isn't that much greater than their standard fuel. BP Ultimate on the other hand is a higher octane fuel compared to their standard fuel. I've read that if you want more pops and bangs, tesco's premium fuel is supposed to make your car pop more often.

EDIT: have you got any pictures?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Condensation is normal (for a Seat), I've had plenty of that in both Leon Mk3 LED headlights, Ibiza Bi-Xenon. My Volvo v40 however, never once had any condensation in their LED headlights.
Most people use Vpower 99 and Momentum 99. I believe the flap shows 98 (95) RON. Putting 95 Ron fuel may give slight loss of power and efficiency, but if you have a Cupra, put 97 or higher, and in emergencies or if unavalible, 95 RON ok too.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Exhaust isn’t as loud as the S3 which isn’t a bad thing for my neighbours at 6.30am!

There is always a res delete from our site sponsors to sort that out :idea:...

https://progressiveparts.com/vagsport-seat-leon-cupra-290-resonator-delete-pipe-kit-vagsp10005

Using V-Power at the mo, Has anyone tried both 98/99 and 95? Have you noticed any real difference?

Thanks
J

The car will run on 95, as that's all that is available in ROI. However the car will not be a 290 then. It'll be more a 265-275.

The ECU will pull the timing and potentially dump more fuel in the engine when its hot to stop pre-detonation. (more fuel sounds wrong but it helps cool it and there is only so much oxygen to burn the fuel anyway). So your fuel economy may in fact get worse (not my experience when my car arrived filled with 95).

People think higher RON fuel is bigger bang. Its not, its more stable fuel, so doesn't go bang at the wrong time.

That's my simple understanding of it anyway.

Reactions: Blaptastic

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Fuel wise, Shell V-power is a premium fuel based on the fact it has an advanced engine cleaning additive pack mixed in to it. The fuel quality itself isn't that much greater than their standard fuel. BP Ultimate on the other hand is a higher octane fuel compared to their standard fuel. I've read that if you want more pops and bangs, tesco's premium fuel is supposed to make your car pop more often.

Not 100% sure I agree with that on V-Power. Its rated at 99 minimum octane in the UK (north anyway), BP only 97 minimum octane.

Not seen any evidence to suggest the base fuel for V-Power is of lower quality. BP's own site say its got additives to clean the engine.

Happy to see anything that proves otherwise though.

Edit: @AndrewJB had some thoughts initially on Tesco Momentum 99 running badly on his car. I do find i get better MPG on V Power over Momentum.

But in France I only ever ran on 98 V power or Total (Excellium?) 98. Car ran great and lots of pops and bangs too (which may suggest otherwise lol).

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
my 290 has had Condensation come and go since day 1 with delivery miles, nothing to be worried about unless its your full headlight.

As for fuel i do find Momentum 99 to be good but i think it doesn't last as long because you expect more power so you drive harder = less mpg. I use V power the odd time but mostly use BP standard fuel as its close to my house and its a Lease vehicle with 1 year left (cant believe I have had the car for a year already)

I have found a Res delete to be beneficial for the 290, extra growl with no drone is a Win Win

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
my 290 has had Condensation come and go since day 1 with delivery miles, nothing to be worried about unless its your full headlight.

As for fuel i do find Momentum 99 to be good but i think it doesn't last as long because you expect more power so you drive harder = less mpg. I use V power the odd time but mostly use BP standard fuel as its close to my house and its a Lease vehicle with 1 year left (cant believe I have had the car for a year already)

I have found a Res delete to be beneficial for the 290, extra growl with no drone is a Win Win
yours is MY19? So no GPF?

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
yes mine is MY19 so it does have a GPF (unfortunately) the only benefit i can find with the GPF, apart form saving the planet, is the fact that with the Res delete you get no drone, nothing worse than aboomy exhaust on the motorway

Jackson

Sep 30, 2019
Thanks for the replies. I’ll be sticking to V-Power but may try momentum. I was just curious about running 95 grade fuel!

I’ll not worry about the condensation, this is my 3rd SEAT and not had condensation problems on my previous ones, nor other cars owned since... maybe I just got lucky!

Only have the one pic for now, weather has been terrible since collection day!

D8B83814-B22A-4C0A-9024-F9B6761687AD.jpeg

The Daily Meme

Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Thanks for the replies. I’ll be sticking to V-Power but may try momentum. I was just curious about running 95 grade fuel!

I’ll not worry about the condensation, this is my 3rd SEAT and not had condensation problems on my previous ones, nor other cars owned since... maybe I just got lucky!

Only have the one pic for now, weather has been terrible since collection day!

View attachment 10285
:thumbup:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.