2001 cupra 180, superchip

Redworminator

Sep 4, 2019
Been on superchips website and seen that a chip for my LC will cost £260 all in and bring it up to 218bhp. I'm very tempted but seems a bit good to be true, anyone got any experience of this?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I've not got any experience of the superchips map, but most stage one maps ( i have a revo one) will give about 210bhp and more importantly a lot more torque. That is the bonus of having a turbocharged car, big performance increases compared to N/A cars when it comes to remaps. It makes a huge difference to the feel and performance of the 180 models and is pretty much a no brainer.

The only downsides are you will need to tell your insurer to keep things legal, and obviously it puts a bit more strain on the (almost 20 yr old) turbo and engine. That being said, the engines are able to handle roughly 300bhp without needing rods and the turbos are also pretty reliable if you use a good quality fully synthetic oil and let the engine warm up and cool down properly before and after booting it.

I have had my stage 1 map for a few years now without any issues.

Last edited:

Redworminator

Sep 4, 2019
Great, thanks for the reply. I've only had the car for 3 weeks, it's done 167k but has the most extensive service history I've ever seen
3 cambelt changes and the turbo was replaced 60000 miles ago. I changed the oil and filter when I bought it (Mobil 1) along with all the pads and discs (brembo) along with 4 new tyres (pirelli)
I think I'll have to go for it.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Yes mate i would, even more so seeing as you have a newer turbo. You won't regret it in terms of performance,it really improves the driveabilty.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.