Golf r estate or cupra st advice pls

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
I've just done this. I previously had an fr st 184 dsg which was quite nice but felt I should try either the golf r or the cupra.
Test drove a current cupra 290 dsg hatchback initially to see if I'd be happy with the concept - I.e. would it be fun and engaging (also because the st/estate, is essentially just longer at the back).
From a golf perspective the vast majority i can see were/are generally fitted with a winter pack, but with fabric seats, 18" alloys, and the older head unit for the age of car you are talking about. Two things otherwise put me off - 1 every post suggested the older cars which are mk7's are nowhere near as good as the mk7.5 (I.e. the facelift) which would have been far too much money (take it your budget sounds similar to mine) and 2 the shape is odd and not very well resolved - like most golf estates, stick a decent front design to a rear that looks like it was afterthought.
For the cupra initially I was looking at a 17 plate from a dealer but this sold. I was keen on the idea that it would be lighter and potentially more involving as it was 2 wheel drive and manual.
However I then spotted a private seller with an 18 plate, which is the car I've bought (dsg awd) (there were other cars but all older). The main differences between the 17 and 18 are that its fitted with the digital dash and high nav infotainment which come together (there is a load of spec otherwise but that would be going off on an even longer post). This looks like it was standard from 18 plates on. If you can find one in your budget for this I would say they are a great car and I'm very happy. The wet weather we have been having as well has made me happy with the choice of awd as well and so far my concerns of it not being involving enough vs the manual haven't turned out to be true in the slightest, so all good. :)

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I've just done this. I previously had an fr st 184 dsg which was quite nice but felt I should try either the golf r or the cupra.
Test drove a current cupra 290 dsg hatchback initially to see if I'd be happy with the concept - I.e. would it be fun and engaging (also because the st/estate, is essentially just longer at the back).
From a golf perspective the vast majority i can see were/are generally fitted with a winter pack, but with fabric seats, 18" alloys, and the older head unit for the age of car you are talking about. Two things otherwise put me off - 1 every post suggested the older cars which are mk7's are nowhere near as good as the mk7.5 (I.e. the facelift) which would have been far too much money (take it your budget sounds similar to mine) and 2 the shape is odd and not very well resolved - like most golf estates, stick a decent front design to a rear that looks like it was afterthought.
For the cupra initially I was looking at a 17 plate from a dealer but this sold. I was keen on the idea that it would be lighter and potentially more involving as it was 2 wheel drive and manual.
However I then spotted a private seller with an 18 plate, which is the car I've bought (dsg awd) (there were other cars but all older). The main differences between the 17 and 18 are that its fitted with the digital dash and high nav infotainment which come together (there is a load of spec otherwise but that would be going off on an even longer post). This looks like it was standard from 18 plates on. If you can find one in your budget for this I would say they are a great car and I'm very happy. The wet weather we have been having as well has made me happy with the choice of awd as well and so far my concerns of it not being involving enough vs the manual haven't turned out to be true in the slightest, so all good. :)

2018 only bets High Nav if spec’d.

Golf R and S3 as 3 door? Not in Sweden any way.

We had the Golf 3 door but that’s now discontinued along with the 3 door Leon to save VW money. Same for the 3 door A3 body. Although I’m sure I’ve seen a 3 door Golf GTi TCR...

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Well that's good news, but I understood you could only get the Digital dash with high nav, is that right?

No the Digital Dash/Virtual Cockpit is available on all. I have it without High Nav.

However, without HIgh Nav you can not have the Map view in BOTH Virtual Cockpit and the main screen, you have the same setup as none virtual cockpit owners, map on 8" screen, and directions on virtual cockpit, or vice versa, map on virtual cockpit and directions on 8" screen.

However depending on how you setup your virtual cockpit, you can have map AND directions on it at once regardless of what version you have.

As for proper map view on both, that is as I've said before supposed to be High Nav only. BUT I have had a glitch probably 3 times now, where I've had the map view in both. The first time it disappeared as soon as I put the destination in. The second time I didn't need to put a destination in so I thought I would see how it coped. Honestly it was slow or laggy. It worked perfectly fine. Engine off stopped it again though. THird time again disappeared soon as I put my destination in. Not seen it happen now for 6 months.

So I very much suspect 'High Nav' is more software than hardware. However I can't confirm if it could cope with giving directions, calculating new routes etc and display both at the same time, but I suspect it would be fine.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Better quality / finish to the golf

leon looks more sporty.

so do you want quality or sportier look?

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
I'm not sure on the quality front. My previous experience of a mk5 golf gti was that it had far more rattles and noises than any of the Leon's I've had since. I expect it's a case of a mild improvement in perceived quality I.e. a few more soft touch plastics although not much otherwise this would encroach on the Audi s3.

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
Maybe time to avoid vw group cars. Stereo screen replaced less than 8moths crap again.
Last time was 1 month massive argument so this time no chance to fix again.
Turbo noise not normal confirmed from germany dealership however seat uk refuse to talk about any more.
99 or 100 not make any different.seat or vw same thing.

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I'm not sure on the quality front. My previous experience of a mk5 golf gti was that it had far more rattles and noises than any of the Leon's I've had since. I expect it's a case of a mild improvement in perceived quality I.e. a few more soft touch plastics although not much otherwise this would encroach on the Audi s3.

VW’s get things like nicer quality carpets, the ones in the leon are cheap quality

also golf has subtle things like bonnet pull on drivers side where as leon bonnet pull is on the passengers,

leon no bonnet struts, golf has gas struts. Basically just that little extra

Sep 20, 2019
You're basically paying more money for a VW badge at the end of the day.
VW in turn always reminds me of the Beastie Boys craze so it's a no from me.
Round here VWs are usually stupidly slammed, knackered or driven by pensioners.
Audis driven by knobs akin to BMW drivers.
Skodas driven by taxi cab drivers.
Seats by more discerning punters who don't car it's the same as all the others underneath, we paid less and got a better car.

Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
We have a Golf and a Leon. Not as high spec as you're looking at, an SE and a GT, but here's my take.

What does a VW have over a Seat? Nothing you are going to miss. Yes, the door bins are a bit nicer and wow, you get a special place to put your Raybans but once on the move none of this matters. The cars are built on the same chassis and you can tell. They are more alike than different. On our cars, I think that Seat have actually done a better job of sorting the ride and handling of the car. The Golf is better in some ways but as a package I'd take the Leon.

I'm not saying it's the same result with the higher performance cars but just take care not to be swayed by things that you really aren't going to notice much.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
On the sun glasses holder front. There is not much that I'm to snobbish about really. I like my Pumas, Superdry stuff is nice. But I'm happy in George and F&F T shirts and Tesco shoes for work.

But when it comes to sunglasses it HAS to be Oakley. And if you think I'm putting those in any of the sunglasses holders I've seen, you must be kidding. My Seat's door bin, holds 2 Oakley cases nicely (one for the wife too).

So VW can stick its sunglasses holder haha

Reactions: Peller and womble68

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
On the sun glasses holder front. There is not much that I'm to snobbish about really. I like my Pumas, Superdry stuff is nice. But I'm happy in George and F&F T shirts and Tesco shoes for work.

But when it comes to sunglasses it HAS to be Oakley. And if you think I'm putting those in any of the sunglasses holders I've seen, you must be kidding. My Seat's door bin, holds 2 Oakley cases nicely (one for the wife too).

So VW can stick its sunglasses holder haha
Damo, my old Ateca had the fabbled sun glasses holder upon yon 'mythical region! Wouldn't worry about! Are you guys coming up our way soon? I need to hand somebody the dirty car award!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Damo, my old Ateca had the fabbled sun glasses holder upon yon 'mythical region! Wouldn't worry about! Are you guys coming up our way soon? I need to hand somebody the dirty car award!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Can’t give an award to someone who has had it the last 3 times. Having said that the next one in Glasgow I may attend :)

Reactions: Peller

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
Yes all but the 265 got DCC.

300 ST DSG’s are all 4drives.

And if you like the exhaust of the Golf R, a few people of fitted them anyway and they came as part of the Carbon Edition too as well as the ST R...

View attachment 10188
Like the 370 badge!
Anyone see "Traffic Cops" this week?
If so you may have noticed that Derbyshire Police were using an unmarked dark grey Cupra 300 ST.
My Police informant tells me that some of their drivers prefer it to a Golf R!

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
Like the 370 badge!
Anyone see "Traffic Cops" this week?
If so you may have noticed that Derbyshire Police were using an unmarked dark grey Cupra 300 ST.
My Police informant tells me that some of their drivers prefer it to a Golf R!
I seen in tv 2 days ago the police used a cupra.Exhaust was proper loud inside the car.:cop:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise