Turbo Cool Down.

RYANBRZ

Sep 10, 2019
Hi Guys,

I have been told by someone that after hard driving a Cupra or any other car of similar caliber, you should either drive calmly for a couple of miles or wait in your car when it has stopped with the engine still running for 2-5 mins? is this necessary to protect the turbo or car?

Thanks

Ryan.

Deleted member 103408

I personally agree with driving calmly when I get near to home and if I am on the track I always try and do a cool down lap.

Many on here disagree and say there is an oil pump that does the cooling after the engine is off.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
I dont think its necessary on the Cupra because of an electric water pump that keeps cooling the turbo after switch off.

The need for a cool down on some cars is because the turbo gets super hot and oil left in it burns if not flowing, but modern synthetic oils are more resistant and the water pumps prevents the need.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Just my 2p. I see both sides of it... having an older Cupra, I don't think I've got the tech to cool the turbo after the ignition is turned off. So I follow a couple of simple guidelines. After I ragged it for 180 miles around Wales, I parked it up and let it idle for 5 mins with the bonnet open. Extreme I know! But day to day ... I have stuff to do in the car when I get home. So eg, when I pull up on the driveway I leave the engine running whilst I remove my dashcam, 2 bar electric fire, disconnect my phone, put my sunglasses away. Then when I'm ready to get out, I turn the engine off. So I'm not really wasting time waiting for it.

Reactions: Seastormer

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
I personally let the engine cool down for 2-3 minutes before turning it off. The water pumps keeps working with the engine off but the oil pump doesn't. On my older car I had an EGT gauge and waited until the temperature dropped to 350C before turning it off.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Ever since owning cars with a turbo I tend to chill out with the driving before I get home. As already stated it's a debatable topic. Sometimes I used to forget to calm down before getting home and switched the engine off straight away on previous cars, but never had an issue.

There isn't any harm in not hitting the redline just before your pulling up though.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Just because there is a pump working after you switch the engine off, doesn't mean you shouldn't be kind to the car. If you put it under high stress yet expect longevity, you give it a cool down lap or calm drive home.

Reactions: Seastormer

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Waste of time

does anybody live directly off an autobahn and parks their car up after doing 180mph instantly?

In reality most live in residential areas so generally last couple of minutes or so will be at 30mph limit which is more than ample to let the car cool down

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
But you could stop for gas or to buy something.
Same applies, if you know you are stopping soon, take it easy. Unless you've got a case of explosive diarrhoea you should know to give it a little rest before pulling into the fuel station or car park. You're not exactly going to be Ken Block'ing it around the fuel pumps/parked cars are you?

You don't HAVE to do it? But in that same theory you don't have to change your oil? Its just good practice to keep everything running well and for longer. I suppose if you're on a lease who cares how long it lasts, but I'm not for one to do that. I like to think my car will be strong for the new owner too.

Reactions: billman

Deleted member 103408

Well as always when this topic comes up we cant all agree which is fine.

I will continue to cool it down, as I have a modified car and been advised by the mechanic who built it to do so along with all the guys on the race track that I listen to.

But if you are happy not to that is also fine.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I had a few mates with Evos/Scoobies who had turbo timers fitted, it would allow the engines to run for a set time after stopping to allow cool down if required, club runs could mean high speed running with sudden stops for P/photo/coffee etc, it’s not all about the top speed but constant high revs.?

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
Same applies, if you know you are stopping soon, take it easy. Unless you've got a case of explosive diarrhoea you should know to give it a little rest before pulling into the fuel station or car park. You're not exactly going to be Ken Block'ing it around the fuel pumps/parked cars are you?

I know, as I said above I always let the car cool down for a couple of minutes before I turn it off. There have been times that I did a run right before refueling.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Can you even stress a car like this on public roads? Maybe in Germany, but hardly in the UK

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Can you even stress a car like this on public roads? Maybe in Germany, but hardly in the UK

I guess more so brakes n tyres. Dunno about the MK3, but even driving steady my engines so hot I could fry an egg on it when I get home. I realise it's probably in tolerance, but doesn't make me worry any less.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Well, it gets warm pretty quick as I leave my road with my foot to the floor....

Leaving work is a fine balance between warming the oil up gently and...
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Lozzy15 and Bedlam