Turbo Cool Down.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Can you even stress a car like this on public roads? Maybe in Germany, but hardly in the UK
I'd say so especially if tuned. It not all about high speeds.

I turn my car on

Pedal to the metal

then turn it off

it still works

Followed by cryptic videos going 'my car is making a funny noise, can anyone please diagnose it from this 15 second clip of me holding my phone next to the steering wheel as I do 40mph down the road...'

I suspect your's is a lease...

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
There is a lot of talk in FB regarding Cupra’s in leases and owners not really giving any thought to who may own it after them.

It makes buying a pre owned CUPRA a minefield in my opinion. Who knows how it has been treated?

Personally I wait till the oil is up to temperature before allowing the revs go past 3000rpm. Then when warm I allow myself to have a little fun.

When I’m a few miles from home I adjust my driving so that again I don’t allow revs to go above 3000rpm. When I get home I turn the engine off with the knowledge it has had a little cool down. And to be honest I don’t always drive it hard so most times it’s running at lowing revs anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Turbo issues are really about carbonisation, and VW 507.00 oil shouldn't do it under normal road conditions. Water cooled turbos generally shouldn't do it.

Im all for treating the car well, but really there isnt a need to cool for minutes, seconds will do it.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
There isn't but mechanical sympathy, I ran the "weak" revision N turbo for nearly 4 years at Stage 2 without issue and it was still a solid turbo, others (who I presume have just ragged their cars) have had theirs blow running OEM power.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
That could well be down to poor quality or insufficient oil, or stretching the service interval too far.

Generally the issue is specific to certain models of car and brands of turbo. AFAIK the Leon isnt one of them.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
You said yourself it was a weak version of the turbo. Thats likely the reason, its often pot luck with known weak parts, some last forever, others go quickly.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I'd say so especially if tuned. It not all about high speeds.

Followed by cryptic videos going 'my car is making a funny noise, can anyone please diagnose it from this 15 second clip of me holding my phone next to the steering wheel as I do 40mph down the road...'

I suspect your's is a lease...

my car is a lease yes. It is actually my first lease car and i treat it as per all my previous owned cars

I’m not a dummy when it comes to cars. But people sitting idling their engines for 2 to 3 minutes after a journey? Really? That is just bonkers

I have better things to spend 2 minutes of my life doing.

Reactions: ChrisM75

Deleted member 103408

I personally agree with driving calmly when I get near to home and if I am on the track I always try and do a cool down lap.

Many on here disagree and say there is an oil pump that does the cooling after the engine is off.

So as I said at the very start we all have different views on this matter.

I and a few others on this thread have heavily modified cars, we change our oil much more frequently and use higher quality oil, we look after our cars because they are modified outside of standard range. However even in stock mode I would and did still protect the turbo and engine.

You don't have to agree but in our current lease environment people just pass the car on and in years to come we will see the problems these cause. I will keep my motor and like the map I chose I want it to last as long as possible hence the way I drive at the end of a run.

Reactions: JCB360 and Damo H

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
People will never agree, in this case its because it definitely used to be a thing, cars did carbonise and sludge up, but these days its really not. People just dont want to forget old wisdom, even if it no longer applies.

In all honesty, if you are driving in a way that needs a protracted cool down period, on public roads, regularly, you probably shouldn't be driving at all. Coming from me that really says something, im not a slow driver.

Deleted member 103408

Well this old boy with up to date tuners has a different point of view.

Lets agree these cars are great and close this down and as i said to the OP its a subject that causes different views.

End of conversation for me. :wave:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Seastormer

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
I personally agree with driving calmly when I get near to home and if I am on the track I always try and do a cool down lap.

Many on here disagree and say there is an oil pump that does the cooling after the engine is off.

I do as you do.

It must be an oil pump!

Why do I suspect that? – The oil level on the dipstick increase directly a couple of mm every time it stops (no more sound).

But i don't know if it circulate oil via the turbo unit...likely it does..

/Peter

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I dont think its necessary on the Cupra because of an electric water pump that keeps cooling the turbo after switch off.

The need for a cool down on some cars is because the turbo gets super hot and oil left in it burns if not flowing, but modern synthetic oils are more resistant and the water pumps prevents the need.
Does actually say in my handbook, that if driving hard for a while to allow a cooling wait, belts and braces is my approach.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Waste of time

does anybody live directly off an autobahn and parks their car up after doing 180mph instantly?

In reality most live in residential areas so generally last couple of minutes or so will be at 30mph limit which is more than ample to let the car cool down
Can still do high revs, in the 30 bit before I reach home which is very short, straight off a country road so will still be well hot.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
I have mine on PCP and I take very good care of it. I don’t go over 3k rpm until the oil is at least 90c, I try not to redline it but it does happen time to time especially in 2nd/ 3rd. It gets cleaned at least once a week without fail and any problems with it get sorted as soon as possible. Oil is checked every two weeks... I guess it depends on the person but me personally, if I’m paying £££ a month for a car and plan to keep it when the contract is up, then why would you not keep it nice? It’s just common sense is it not?

EDIT; and to answer the topic question I don’t let the engine cool when parked, I do however drive it the same as when it’s not warmed up for the last part of the journey; not going over 3k rpm to allow it to cool a little. I live off 60mph country roads and it’s still possible to stay under 3k so I don’t know why people are banging on about 30mph when it’s revs not speed. You can go 30mph in 1st/ 2nd lol

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
After blasting about in mine I usually park up and wait for all the fans and whirring noises to calm down instead of turning off straight away rather than letting the battery do the work, it's usually after a minute or so.

I'm not sure if these noises/fans are related to the GPF cooling but if the start/stop cuts the engine out I usually think it's fine. It's just my 2p into the convo.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk