stephen

Dec 4, 2018
Worth a go. If the door is 8pin no reason it won’t be worth a go

I could only get euro ones and they have different number of pins

Used uk ones, problem is the same as your own, can go any time
Even if you open it and change the motors

jammygit

Sep 23, 2019
I had the door card off earlier, I wish I counted the pins now lol is that the only difference just 8 or 9 pins?

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
I had the door card off earlier, I wish I counted the pins now lol is that the only difference just 8 or 9 pins?

It’s been a long time from I have did it
Yea everything is the same from memory.
The pins on that plastic panel

Pop the card of to be the sure. All yo need to do is pop the plug off and check

jammygit

Sep 23, 2019
Is there a guide on how to remove the unit from the rear door? Youtube videos have similar models (Bora, Golf etc) but they say you have to remove the glass and all sorts. On the Leon, once you remove the door card, the lock is mostly exposed, is it easy enough to remove?

Jay sx

Oct 9, 2016
I changed my rear one when I first got the car. From memory I'm sure you can get to the mechanism by just removing the material part of the door ( not the whole panel ) Its fiddly but doable.

Reactions: stephen

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
Is there a guide on how to remove the unit from the rear door? Youtube videos have similar models (Bora, Golf etc) but they say you have to remove the glass and all sorts. On the Leon, once you remove the door card, the lock is mostly exposed, is it easy enough to remove?

I was just going to say the above
You can but it is fiddle as, you will lose skin doing it that way

If you end up removing the door card
Just watch the two lowest bolts, they connect to the window runners and are a pain to get lined up,
I wouldn’t take them fully out

From memory
Three bolts for the lock
And the handles are both on cables

jammygit

Sep 23, 2019
Made a bit of a boo boo. I didn't have a big star type screwdriver bit to remove the lock so I just put it back together and closed the door. Woops, must have knocked the inside cable out and now I can't unlock or open the door from the inside or the outside. I can't get the door card off either because of the bottom bolt holding it on. Any options to open the door?

Edit: Can anyone confirm whether those large bolts that hold the lock in place are torx (although it has too many "points") or a double-hex bolt (which I didn't know existed until now)? I'm going to try the WD-40 trick tomorrow and if I get the door open I'm going to have to just go for broke with the lock so I can reattach the inner cable. Do you HAVE to remove the outer door handle to release the cable or can you do it from the inside?

Last edited:
Reactions: stephen

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
I had to buy a tool to remove the the tool bolts
Crv-m8

I don’t know how your going to get in the back door to tell the truth
You need to get the top fabric panel off and that’s it really to open the door
You can do that with the door closed no problem
Remove the plastic strip in the middle first and then remove the fabric section
Just take a bit of force and trim removal tools

jammygit

Sep 23, 2019
I had to buy a tool to remove the the tool bolts
Crv-m8

I don’t know how your going to get in the back door to tell the truth
You need to get the top fabric panel off and that’s it really to open the door
You can do that with the door closed no problem
Remove the plastic strip in the middle first and then remove the fabric section
Just take a bit of force and trim removal tools
I've got the fabric piece off and I have access to the top of the actuator. If I can find a long rod with a tiny hook on the end, I can open the door. The cable has come off on the actuator end but it's impossible to get it back on because the hook is a rubber thing that has to go in sideways so it can only be reattached with the door actuator removed. Tomorrow my mission will be to find a long wire or stick with a small hook, so I can pull on the inside door unlocker thingy. Come to think of it, the other end of the cable has a hook, I'll see if that fits in the hole.

EDIT: I couldn't wait until the morning I've ******* done it LOL that was some microsurgery **** using my camera to see inside the door while operating the hook with my other hand. Gonna leave the car unlocl tonight me thinks lol

Last edited:

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
I've got the fabric piece off and I have access to the top of the actuator. If I can find a long rod with a tiny hook on the end, I can open the door. The cable has come off on the actuator end but it's impossible to get it back on because the hook is a rubber thing that has to go in sideways so it can only be reattached with the door actuator removed. Tomorrow my mission will be to find a long wire or stick with a small hook, so I can pull on the inside door unlocker thingy. Come to think of it, the other end of the cable has a hook, I'll see if that fits in the hole
Just get creative with a wire coathanger perhaps

jammygit

Sep 23, 2019
Just get creative with a wire coathanger perhaps

Done it mate, used the hook from the door handle side of the cable. In the dark with fricking phone LED for light lol

P. S. The tool required to undo those star bolts is called a spline bit, which has more teeth than a regular torx bit. Ordered one on Amazon, should get it tomorrow. Then I will be having a second attempt at changing the lock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bedlam and stephen

jammygit

Sep 23, 2019
Done it. Took 20 minutes. Out with the old, in with the new. Works perfectly!

All you need is a T30 Torx bit, a flathead to wedge off the speaker cover, and a M8 spline bit do undo the spline bolts which hold on the actuator to the door. Job done.

Old dirty one:
IMG-20191005-114211.jpg

Reactions: Bedlam and stephen

stephen

Dec 4, 2018
Great you got it out
Better than the oil spray
As the door locks will be getting hit soon with winter

Jun 27, 2019
Done it mate, used the hook from the door handle side of the cable. In the dark with fricking phone LED for light lol

P. S. The tool required to undo those star bolts is called a spline bit, which has more teeth than a regular torx bit. Ordered one on Amazon, should get it tomorrow. Then I will be having a second attempt at changing the lock.
How ?? I’m having this issue can’t get door open both my cables still attached though ?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.