Eco Mode

Ger

Sep 6, 2019
South Wales
Hi all
Any idea why I have to keep selecting eco mode every time I use the car. Or is it a "feature". Seems a bit of a pain to press the mode button then select eco in the infotainment system everytime I start the car. Or is there a menu setting some where I've missed?
Mk3 2019 Leon FR ST 2.0 DSG

Ger

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
It seems later cars (mine included) don’t remember Eco mode anymore. Same with Cupra mode.

But for me Eco mode on the DSG uses more fuel. As in the motorway, lifting off disengages they gear so it coasts. But off throttle the car doesn’t use any fuel but engine brakes. Where as in Eco it may reduce engine braking but uses fuel idling.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I think they all start in standard engine mode regardless of it being left it sport/cupra/eco. It will say cupra or whatever but I need to switch to comfort then back again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I think they all start in standard engine mode regardless of it being left it sport/cupra/eco. It will say cupra or whatever but I need to switch to comfort then back again.

In my old 280 that was certainly the case for Cupra. But for Eco it always showed the E for gearbox and it did the disengage thing. In this it doesn’t.

Reactions: ray

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
They revert to standard comfort mode, you need to select anything different every time you get in the car.

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
Weird my old fr stayed in eco mode (2016 car for ref). The cupra seems to stay in individual but picks standard engine rather than eco. If I want eco I have to press individual again.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Weird my old fr stayed in eco mode (2016 car for ref). The cupra seems to stay in individual but picks standard engine rather than eco. If I want eco I have to press individual again.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Its definitely a change in later cars. Not sure if its all face-lifts as mines a MY2018 and the face-lift was MY2017 I think.

JonnyG

Mar 18, 2019
Best option I've found (for me anyway - MY19 Cupra) is to get into the habit of turning the engine on, choosing my mode for the journey ahead and (usually) then disabling Stop Start.

Reason : the later cars do not save the full last settings of certain modes.

Last edited:

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
There is a setting in Carista to remember Eco mode.

I haven’t tried to change it myself in Carista so don’t know if the setting works or not however

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
Apparently it’s an EU directive... my parents asked when their golf was in, their car remains in the same mode but the courtesy at they got didn’t. They asked and were told they now had to revert to a “normal driving mode” which for VAG cars in drive or similar.

Not sure if you can change it in OBD settings, I’ll have to try on out Ateca.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Mine (MY19) stays in ECO after selected via dash button/infotainment every time I restart.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Mine (MY19) stays in ECO after selected via dash button/infotainment every time I restart.
Driver profile stays as if in Eco, but the engine isn't. If yours is a DSG you will see the gearbox as D not E. If its manual you'd never know.

Deleted member 103408

If anybody wants a car that stays in ECO The 280 is a great car :)

And cant recommend the Stop Start Memory module enough no more faffing around turning it off each time you start the car

Reactions: Maypack and Norbert

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Driver profile stays as if in Eco, but the engine isn't. If yours is a DSG you will see the gearbox as D not E. If its manual you'd never know.
Its manual, the only difference I can see (never checked MPG comparisons) is that ACT is effective more often in ECO than in Normal for the same journey/drive style...unless I'm just imagining it.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Its manual, the only difference I can see (never checked MPG comparisons) is that ACT is effective more often in ECO than in Normal for the same journey/drive style...unless I'm just imagining it.
Yeah thats part of ACT not Eco. it was same on my 280, if you went into individual you coudl set ACT to Eco, but that didn't mean engine was in Eco.

Deleted member 103408

Just because I am getting confused is ACT the Active Cylinder Technology

Deleted member 103408

Me two, just making sure I was not being stupid.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.