Aftermarket headlamps?

James_FRwagon

Oct 18, 2018
Are there any for the pre FL? My LED's are worse than halogens for light throw so I want something with projector lenses to fit some HID's?

Even considering to buy some of the halogen ones a getting someone to retrofit some lenses and an led strip.

When I got the car I was happy with them cause they looked nice, now I'm just like wow I can't see, and when cars overtake me or what not my car casts a shadow from their lights in my own light beam awful.

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Are there any for the pre FL? My LED's are worse than halogens for light throw so I want something with projector lenses to fit some HID's?

Even considering to buy some of the halogen ones a getting someone to retrofit some lenses and an led strip.

When I got the car I was happy with them cause they looked nice, now I'm just like wow I can't see, and when cars overtake me or what not my car casts a shadow from their lights in my own light beam awful.
There's a thread somewhere about manually adjusting the height of the beams, there's 2 screws on top of the units that do horizontal and vertical positioning, maybe you could give that a try. As for aftermarket options or a retrofit I don't think there are any. The LED lights are connected to a sensor in the car that levels them from what I remember and I'm sure the ECU configuration and wiring will be totally different between the LED and halogen units.

Scottrick

Oct 1, 2018
Northern Ireland
There's a thread somewhere about manually adjusting the height of the beams, there's 2 screws on top of the units that do horizontal and vertical positioning, maybe you could give that a try. As for aftermarket options or a retrofit I don't think there are any. The LED lights are connected to a sensor in the car that levels them from what I remember and I'm sure the ECU configuration and wiring will be totally different between the LED and halogen units.

That's what I had to do. I found mine seemed to be pretty bad at night and others had said about adjusting them. I moved them up a good bit and it made them so much better, lights up so much more of the road, give that a go before changing anything. (There are 2 screws on each headlight, one for up/down, one for left/right so get the right one).

James_FRwagon

Oct 18, 2018
That's what I had to do. I found mine seemed to be pretty bad at night and others had said about adjusting them. I moved them up a good bit and it made them so much better, lights up so much more of the road, give that a go before changing anything. (There are 2 screws on each headlight, one for up/down, one for left/right so get the right one).

Yeah man i did adjust them.

Do you find now you've raised the beam angle that your high beams are now too high?

James_FRwagon

Oct 18, 2018

Do you find now you've raised the beam angle that your high beams are now too high?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
How old is your pre-FL mk3 Leon again? Some on the forum has issue with micro dust particles or micro cracks in the plastic lens that lowered the brightness as well as the light throw of the headlights.
Is your worse than these:

James_FRwagon

Oct 18, 2018
it's 2014 mate. i could try and recondition the covers

I'd say that mine are worse than that video

Scottrick

Oct 1, 2018
Northern Ireland

Yeah I did but they don't go too high, rightly lights up the surrounding trees :eek:

Did wonder when I first did it why everyone was flashing me, went too high and was blinding everyone, had to lower them a wee bit :clown:

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
High beam got special screw for adjustment under outside cover (number 2 on picture)

Attachments

• led.png
    led.png
    209 KB · Views: 76

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
Wound mine up a full turn they were still rubbish border line dangerous when raining the beam pattern is so narrow and short.
Took them to MOT station he said they were to high and wound them back so now I just drive at night on main beam not been flashed once yet that's how bad these lights are.
2017 pre facelift car

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Definitely worth adjusting them and trying to sort them mate. I've got a pre FL (65 plate) and after some height adjustment, I'm really happy with them. I regularly drive a Ford Focus with normal Halogen bulbs and the difference is night and day (pardon the pun!).

If you could upgrade the pre FL to FL LED's then that would be interesting, as the general consensus is that they are better.

James_FRwagon

Oct 18, 2018
Definitely worth adjusting them and trying to sort them mate. I've got a pre FL (65 plate) and after some height adjustment, I'm really happy with them. I regularly drive a Ford Focus with normal Halogen bulbs and the difference is night and day (pardon the pun!).

If you could upgrade the pre FL to FL LED's then that would be interesting, as the general consensus is that they are better.

Much better throw on the new ones and just general spread. But yeah dude I'll deffo do that! I knew about adjusting the main beams but I thought the high beams were set to a fixed height to raise from the mains, but I'll do this Wednesday probably now so busy!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.