Spare wheel advice please

AmyB

Jan 24, 2017
Norfolk
Hi,

First of all I'd like to apologise for posting something that has probably been posted before but searching the forum has left me a little confused!

My Mum has a Leon 1.4 EcoTSI 150 FR 5dr with the 17" alloys. She bought the car used a year ago and it came with the foam kit but for peace of mind she would like to get a space saver. I've been looking at eBay and there seems to be a lot of different ones and I'm ending up going round in circles. Would any of these be suitable?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-LEO...012831?hash=item56bf520c5f:g:k9YAAOSwxFVcSLVU

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-MK7-G...199651?hash=item3b3a4d1123:g:bHQAAOSw8MtdmjFm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-LEO...l:Leon&hash=item25c1d451d1:g:xI4AAOSwYIxX9ATf

Many thanks in advance

Amy

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
In response the 2 part numbers for the Mk3 spare wheel kits are as follows:

ZGBBOM006SE - 16” steel wheel
ZGBBOM005SE - 18” steel wheel

Both of the part numbers listed above come with the foam inserts, jack and tools.

The 16” version will be ok for the vehicle - whilst all of the wheels will fit from your links, the second link is from Mk2 Leon as it has a different foam insert. In the Mk3 the foam inset fits around the outside of the wheel.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
As with many things there is the correct solution to the problem and there's the 'yeah that'll do' approach.

The correct kit from the SEAT dealer, as mentioned above will come with the correct fixtures and fittings. The foam, the correct way of securing the wheel, etc

Another thing to consider is the age of the tyre. 6 years is widely considered the 'use by' date for a tyre. If buying from Ebay check this.

The correct solution from a SEAT dealer is approx £200, the Ebay solution is under half that,

You pays your money and you take your chances

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
I think the 6-year idea applies with tyres thoroughly exposed to the environment (especially, fitted to the car). Tyres in the boot are probably OK for much longer - anyone seen a figure?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I remember that tyre suppliers will only stock a new unused tyre for 5 years, also I've read that 10 years is the normal limit for a tyre in use, though obviously if it starts to show small cracks it is time to change them, a spare tyre will normally be inside away from solar radiation so should be safe for use for 10 years in my world.

Don't assume that a car that came with 17" wheels from factory would come with a 17" steel spare - if supplied at factory, I'd think they would only come with a 16" spare, the exception being where larger front brakes dictate that 18" is needed as a minimum. Remember the tyre fitted to the 16" spare will still have near enough the same rolling radius as the 17" ones on the car.

Edit:- ah, all these tyres that you are looking at are space savers, ie "skinnies" - why don't you find the "correct full size but in 16" " as that will give you more time/miles to get the duff one replaced/fixed?

If you look in a proper VW Group online parts listing, you will find the p/n for the correct 16" steel option for this version of Leon - then add in the all the rest of the bits, or check to see what SEAT sell as a spare wheel kit, if the spare wheel well can accommodate a full sized 16" equivalent steel wheel, in my world, that is the way to go.

Last edited:

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
A spare wheel kit from an Audi A3 should fit and a MK7 Golf will definately fit as i fitted 1 to my Leon (18" space saver)

Tyre dealers should only sell new tyres up to 5 years old as this is the shelf life, 10 years is classed as the tyre life when used - i did see that manufacturers are trying to get the 10 year life put into force so in future a car will fail MOT if they tyres are older

AmyB

Jan 24, 2017
Norfolk
Thanks for all your help everyone. There isn't room for a full size as that is what id thought, so its a space saver or the foam. I'll have to talk to mum and see what her opinion is on whether she wants to go to SEAT and get a genuine one or save some money and go with an Ebay one. I'll try and find any scrap yards round near me that might have something going.

Thanks again, Amy

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise