Carwow comparison - Cupra R estate vs Audi RS3

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
For me the test did not reflect how much quicker the RS3 would be , I have seen countless videos on YouTube showing 3.7 from 0-60 On the RS3 and it would just keep pulling from there, the Audi has a much better interior IMO and if you where just to put a Revo map for £500 your then in super car territory, even though the Cupra R felt better in corners it dosnt mean it's slower , the Cupra R is a great car but to say it's better than an RS3 ......

Reactions: Moh

silky16v

#VagDoctor
Jan 26, 2017
Having owned a 8V RS3 (for 2 yrs) and now a Cupra ST Carbon Edition (abet slight modified now :whistle:if you know me you know)

The Cupra is nicer place to be 100% better laid out nicer driving position handles better more comfortable & quieter road noise

But the Sound Track you just can't beat the 2.5 5pot that engine is a master piece, the DQ500 can handle alot more abuse but isn't as smooth as the DQ250 or DQ381

If it wasn't so expensive i'd engine swap the Carbon with a 2.5 just for the noise alone

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Nah they wont be chasing ring records with it as they would of already done that! Focus is really on the E-Racer and Cupra Hybrid/Electric stuff now.

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
I agree about the S4 Avant being a more natural rival. I personally think the R ST looks miles better but as everyone else has mentioned that 5 cylinder is glorious. I still don't think it as glorious as the 5 pot from Volvo that featured in the Mk2 Focus RS. The Audi interior is better quality however it is less practical. i had an A3 S Line as a courtesy car a few months ago and the the controls for the screen were horrible to use. it also felt extremely cramped compared to the Leon

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
Hasn't the S4 Avant been discontinued for some time now,pending a new model next year?...hence no comparison to one.

A quick bit of price research shows an ST R,with Abt and sunroof, can be got for £33k,whereas there seems to be little discount on a new RS3,so price with a few options is north of £50k.

So you can compare how they drive if you want to,but in reality I can't see anyone pondering over which of the two to actually buy with such a wide price differential.As already said an S3 dsg 5 door would be more relevant.

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
Hasn't the S4 Avant been discontinued for some time now,pending a new model next year?...hence no comparison to one.

A quick bit of price research shows an ST R,with Abt and sunroof, can be got for £33k,whereas there seems to be little discount on a new RS3,so price with a few options is north of £50k.

So you can compare how they drive if you want to,but in reality I can't see anyone pondering over which of the two to actually buy with such a wide price differential.As already said an S3 dsg 5 door would be more relevant.

dont think so as the S4 now has a V6 Diesel in place of the V6 Petrol still putting out around 350bhp. would of been interesting, Petrol vs Diesel etc

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
dont think so as the S4 now has a V6 Diesel in place of the V6 Petrol still putting out around 350bhp. would of been interesting, Petrol vs Diesel etc
Should be able to tell you soon, I don't have long left with my current s4 petrol, and will be having the diesel version next, although mine is the saloon

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch

41.5k for a standard rs3 on drive the deal

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
For me the test did not reflect how much quicker the RS3 would be , I have seen countless videos on YouTube showing 3.7 from 0-60 On the RS3 and it would just keep pulling from there, the Audi has a much better interior IMO and if you where just to put a Revo map for £500 your then in super car territory, even though the Cupra R felt better in corners it dosnt mean it's slower , the Cupra R is a great car but to say it's better than an RS3 ......

I'm sure there is a video somewhere where the Golf R (300 version) and the RS3 are on track, and the Golf R sets a quicker lap time as the RS3 under steers like a cross channel ferry. So not all about 0-60.

Appreciate that may be sorted with the updated version as it got more power and I think a lighter block, and by the looks of things much wider tyres at the front going off of someone else's post.

So yeah quicker in a straight line for sure.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Found it...

...so 66bhp more and 63lbft more its half a second slower round the track. Even with the 4 pot brakes it had over the sliding calipers of the Golf R its cooked its brakes.

Now factor in the Cupra R has the better chassis setup, 50hp more over the Golf R (in this video), although its an estate the Golf R 5 door is still chunky at 1525kg vs the ST at 1545kg. Must be all that sound deadening and 'quality plastic' lol.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
For me the test did not reflect how much quicker the RS3 would be , I have seen countless videos on YouTube showing 3.7 from 0-60
Have you seen this on a 2019 GPF RS3 ?

I presume Matt tested both cars on the same day, at the same place, with the same temperature in the same conditions with the same equipment.
Under these conditions the RS3 did 4.2 and the R ST 4.4 secs.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Have you seen this on a 2019 GPF RS3 ?

I presume Matt tested both cars on the same day, at the same place, with the same temperature in the same conditions with the same equipment.
Under these conditions the RS3 did 4.2 and the R ST 4.4 secs.

That's a good point and not 100% but I'm still sure the RS3 would just keep pulling away and with a remap it would be a know contest IMO

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Saw that today, enjoyed it :)

Shame they didn’t put the Cupra R ST in that race also (although I’m sure it would have finished neck and neck with the standard Golf)

Reactions: bgb
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members