How do you replace powered wing mirrors?

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
Well small update, I sourced a(nother) set of mirors complete with motors. The motors have the part numbers I thought they should have so looked promising. I installed the motors, swapped over the mirrors and also the caps. The folding mirror switch was already installed at an earlier date.

It worked! Finally I have folding mirors working as they should do.

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping to do this mod an I'm a little confused

There seem to be 2 types of folding mirrors. Tear drop and the rectangle type. Do both types require motors to be fitted to the door as well?

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping to do this mod an I'm a little confused

There seem to be 2 types of folding mirrors. Tear drop and the rectangle type. Do both types require motors to be fitted to the door as well?

Yes because the motors give power to the folding motors inside the mirror. The non-folding motors will not give this output.

The square are pre facelift and the teardrop are facelift

Oct 4, 2019
Big thread revival!

I've retrofitted these mirrors to a 04 Leon.

Followed the part numbers as instructed on this thread.
Drivers side mirror folds no problem.

However passenger side mirror won't operate. I've tested it as working by transferring it over to driver's side, and it's fine.
Just won't work when plugged in on the passenger side.
The motor fitted is a 1J0959801G, thought it could be a faulty part so it was returned to seller and replaced but still the same problem.
One thing though, with the 1J0959801G motor fitted, the passenger door won't lock. Window winds down fine though.

Any ideas? Could it be possible that both motors are both faulty or is this unlikely?

At the moment only got 1 working driver's side folding mirror.

rich1888

Jun 8, 2018
Big thread revival!

I've retrofitted these mirrors to a 04 Leon.

Followed the part numbers as instructed on this thread.
Drivers side mirror folds no problem.

However passenger side mirror won't operate. I've tested it as working by transferring it over to driver's side, and it's fine.
Just won't work when plugged in on the passenger side.
The motor fitted is a 1J0959801G, thought it could be a faulty part so it was returned to seller and replaced but still the same problem.
One thing though, with the 1J0959801G motor fitted, the passenger door won't lock. Window winds down fine though.

Any ideas? Could it be possible that both motors are both faulty or is this unlikely?

At the moment only got 1 working driver's side folding mirror.

I'm really keen to have a go at this. Maybe once you're all sorted could you update the thread with a quick guide / summary please?

Oct 4, 2019
That part number matches with etka catalog http://www.oemepc.com/seat/part_sin...hg_ug/959/subcategory/959010/part_id/0/lang/e

Maybe the mirror is faulty. Is the plug identical on the drivers side? If so can you plug the passenger mirror into the drivers socket and test the mirror motor that way?

Already ahead of you, plug is identical. Plugged it into driver's side when I wasn't having any luck and it works perfectly.

Can't think what else it can be.
Can't be 2 faulty window motor units.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Already ahead of you, plug is identical. Plugged it into driver's side when I wasn't having any luck and it works perfectly.

Can't think what else it can be.
Can't be 2 faulty window motor units.

Ah right mate, no i'd think the likelyhood of having two faulty motors is highly unlikely. In that case i can only imagine the fault is in the wiring in the passenger door loom. The connector for it is at the bottom of the A-pilliar, so it could be worth getting a door loom of ebay and switching it over, can't really see it can be anything else.

Oct 4, 2019
Ah right mate, no i'd think the likelyhood of having two faulty motors is highly unlikely. In that case i can only imagine the fault is in the wiring in the passenger door loom. The connector for it is at the bottom of the A-pilliar, so it could be worth getting a door loom of ebay and switching it over, can't really see it can be anything else.

It's too much of a faff to do that, that's if I found a loom too.

I'm thinking whether it's possible to run a wire across from the driver's side plug through the dash and into the socket of the passenger mirror so that both fold at the same time.
Would need to find out which pin operates the mirror though.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Upto you, but by the time you run it down through both doors, across the dash, and then sort the wiring out (with no certainty that one window motor can provide enough current for 2 mirrors) then i'd just try swapping the door loom myself. They are easy enough to get hold of as these cars get broken all the time now.

Oct 4, 2019
Upto you, but by the time you run it down through both doors, across the dash, and then sort the wiring out (with no certainty that one window motor can provide enough current for 2 mirrors) then i'd just try swapping the door loom myself. They are easy enough to get hold of as these cars get broken all the time now.

Unfortunately I rarely see these cars at the scrap yard, plenty being broken on Ebay but sellers unwilling to remove the loom and even then it would need to be the correct loom.

I'll try running a wire across for testing purposes before fitting it through the dash.

Oct 4, 2019
Having a look through ETKA, older models were fitted with that part number. The date stamp on the parts seems t be circa 2000MY. Have a look at 1C0959801C. Possibly pre-facelift/facelift numbers

Thank you for that.

Yeah this one is a facelift model, 04/05 with teardrop mirror etc.

Are you able to do a check from the reg number?

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
Thank you for that.

Yeah this one is a facelift model, 04/05 with teardrop mirror etc.

Are you able to do a check from the reg number?

I can't do it from REG, sorry but I looked by putting in my details (04 facelift) and it showed the numbers I posted. Have a look on ebay, it seems to be correct and certainly worked for me.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members