CarPlay iOS 13

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
iOS 13 update brought a much needed new interface to CarPlay, but apart from the speed of connectivity and a hugely improved Apple Music layout, I can’t get it to look how I want.

Coming back of holiday yesterday and plugging my phone in from Heathrow was perfect, if anything loaded far quicker and snappier etc.

but using Waze and then remembering about the split screen is where it got tricky. It appears you can only have Apple Maps as the larger split, and not any app?

has anyone played with it and found otherwise?

Generic image attached of the new screen layout from google.

(Oh and as a nicety as I know I found an issue before uploading direct from iPhone, you can select image size in terms of MB, saves faffing)

Attachments

• 56158127-BFF9-4945-B05B-C7386F504E74.jpeg
    56158127-BFF9-4945-B05B-C7386F504E74.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 185

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
yea the general interface is more appealing now which is nice!
Does Spotify work with Siri now?
I understand it was in a beta version but not sure if it made it into live yet.
I would check but can’t update iPhone at moment. Too full!

Reactions: bgb

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Does Spotify work with Siri now?
I understand it was in a beta version but not sure if it made it into live yet.
I would check but can’t update iPhone at moment. Too full!

I don’t know about Spotify sorry! As I use Apple Music it defaults to finding my guilty pleasures within there! :oops:

Reactions: seatgraham

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Wasn't this variable layout only available on cars that have wider ratio screens?
At least with Android Auto that is the case.
I have both Android Auto and Carplay - need to take that iPhone down and try the new interface.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Wasn't this variable layout only available on cars that have wider ratio screens?
At least with Android Auto that is the case.
I have both Android Auto and Carplay - need to take that iPhone down and try the new interface.

The new iOS allows this on all units as I understand. It shows up as the picture i posted, but i was under the impression you could run say Waze, with music etc shown in the other spaces. But in reality its only apple apps that can have this layout thus far.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
The new iOS allows this on all units as I understand. It shows up as the picture i posted, but i was under the impression you could run say Waze, with music etc shown in the other spaces. But in reality its only apple apps that can have this layout thus far.

If using Waze, I run Spotify in the background and don’t bother with the artwork and track being detailed. You can still control tracks with the steering wheel buttons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
If using Waze, I run Spotify in the background and don’t bother with the artwork and track being detailed. You can still control tracks with the steering wheel buttons.

The issue of other apps running etc isn't the query, its having another app but Apple Maps in the larger side window, while showing whats currently playing etc in the smaller ones, as the image below shows.

It seems the map display as per the new layout is only for apple maps so far, so cannot have everything on one page if using Waze, TomTom etc.

ios13-carplay-dash-100799517-large.jpg

Reactions: Maypack

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
CarPlay has crashed a few times in the last few days for me. Not sure if this is linked to upgrading to ios13.
Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting iPhone works. but then CarPlay disconnects again soon after.
I've tried a hard reboot of the infotainment unit and that worked - along with disconnecting and reconnecting the iPhone.
But even that doesn't always work. Rebooting a second time worked, but obviously not a great experience.
Anyone else having issues with CarPlay dropping out on ios13? Current software is ios13.1.2 on iPhone 6s.
Edit - also had issues with Spotify through CarPlay. Sometimes a blank screen.

heliophile

May 1, 2016
Manchester
I’ve had occasional issues with CarPlay not connecting (the head unit cycling between connecting/could not connect/connecting) which were always solved by rebooting the head unit. I’ve not seen it since ios13. Ditto Spotify sometimes saying it can’t connect, solved by force closing Spotify on the phone. The only other issues I’ve had have been cable related and specifically fluff in the phone port causing an imperfect connection. This caused issues In the car despite not causing issues with other cables used for charging. So clean your lightning port out with the sim tool as a first step is my advice.

Last edited:

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
CarPlay has crashed a few times in the last few days for me. Not sure if this is linked to upgrading to ios13.
Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting iPhone works. but then CarPlay disconnects again soon after.
I've tried a hard reboot of the infotainment unit and that worked - along with disconnecting and reconnecting the iPhone.
But even that doesn't always work. Rebooting a second time worked, but obviously not a great experience.
Anyone else having issues with CarPlay dropping out on ios13? Current software is ios13.1.2 on iPhone 6s.
Edit - also had issues with Spotify through CarPlay. Sometimes a blank screen.

Could be your cable? Or even, hate to say it, the age of the iphone! Mine used to flake out but since iOS13 there has only really been one drop out?

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
I’ve had occasional issues with CarPlay not connecting (the head unit cycling between connecting/could not connect/connecting) which were always solved by rebooting the head unit. I’ve not seen it since ios13. Ditto Spotify sometimes saying it can’t connect, solved by force closing Spotify on the phone. The only other issues I’ve had have been cable related and specifically fluff in the phone port causing an imperfect connection. This caused issues In the car despite not causing issues with other cables used for charging. So clean your lightning port out with the sim tool as a first step is my advice.
I don't think it's fluff. It seems like a solid connection. I cleaned it out the phone port not that long ago, when it wasn't connecting properly to dock in previous car. But good call.
CarPlay connected first time today and stayed connected. Good tip about closing spotify. Again, spotify worked flawlessly today. Started up quick too.
I'll just monitor it. Unlikely to be cable, it's almost new SEAT official cable - although you never know.
Edit - and yes, age of phone might be a factor. Overdue for a change.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I think the firmware on the infotainment unit can cause issues too.

I use an official apple cable with my iPhone XR and iOS 13 is quite stable. I do get occasion’s where I have to tell apple car play to connect to my phone again but I haven’t had it crash for ages.

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
I have only had my Leon since Sunday. CarPlay was great then I updated to iOS 13.1.2 yesterday. Pretty unstable since. Taking a while to connect, dropping out etc.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.