Modding on new 290 with GPF fitted

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
I’ve just managed to get a response from DTUK - apparently my box is not compatible after all, as the new modules do not have a 12v supply and ground like my current one. The new ones are powered by the sensors? Not entirely sure how this works but that’s what I’ve been told by their support guy - however app control isn’t required and is still an optional extra...

Bit frustrating that I will need to replace the module as the new boxes have been out 6 months and I asked the question in October and was told it would be fine :banghead:

I suppose getting two cars for the price of one was a little too good to be true haha
Yeah the one fitted on my 68 s4 gets its power from the sensors, just the 3 plugs that go into the original sensors and the unit itself with the selectable maps

Reactions: Mystery290

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
I’ve just managed to get a response from DTUK - apparently my box is not compatible after all, as the new modules do not have a 12v supply and ground like my current one. The new ones are powered by the sensors? Not entirely sure how this works but that’s what I’ve been told by their support guy - however app control isn’t required and is still an optional extra...

Bit frustrating that I will need to replace the module as the new boxes have been out 6 months and I asked the question in October and was told it would be fine :banghead:

I suppose getting two cars for the price of one was a little too good to be true haha
Well, at least we're getting the same information now. That seems to have been a rarity over the last few months haha.

I think the guy I spoke to meant it has to be capable of app control, did the old models need a Bluetooth adaptor or something? I did ask if it was incorrect it being an optional extra but he said no.

Just debating over whether £413 is worth it...

Mystery290

Nov 13, 2018
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yeah the one fitted on my 68 s4 gets its power from the sensors, just the 3 plugs that go into the original sensors and the unit itself with the selectable maps

Ahh okay well looks like that’s what I need - my current module has 2 extra connections for 12v live and ground so the new one should be quicker and easier again to install and remove!

Well, at least we're getting the same information now. That seems to have been a rarity over the last few months haha.

I think the guy I spoke to meant it has to be capable of app control, did the old models need a Bluetooth adaptor or something? I did ask if it was incorrect it being an optional extra but he said no.

Just debating over whether £413 is worth it...

Hahaha very true! Yeah possibly to do with the power supply on the newer boxes as opposed to the app control feature itself. I mean to be fair, I’ve had no issues whatsoever with my unit on the GTI and the difference is night and day...I will be purchasing another for the Cupra, as I fail to see how an extra £300 for a proper map gets you any more bang for your buck on an otherwise standard vehicle - plus you can install and remove the DTUK yourself, at home with ease as and when you wish. The added bonus is with your change you could get other mods like a res delete or splitters/skirts etc.

Deleted member 103408

Just as a matter of interest anybody got a picture of the new exhaust system on the GPF Cars as the ST has changed and want to see if the same is true on the 5 door.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Craig Elliott

Ben Snape

Oct 17, 2018
This thread has been a interesting read for me as I currently have a 68 plate copra and feel the need to give it that bit more my only worry aswell is because it’s a lease will it show up if I ever needed warranty work done cheers Ben

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
This thread has been a interesting read for me as I currently have a 68 plate copra and feel the need to give it that bit more my only worry aswell is because it’s a lease will it show up if I ever needed warranty work done cheers Ben
So long as the tuning box is fitted and removed correctly it won't be detected, I've been in for warrenty 3 times and one was engine related and its been fine every time

Ben Snape

Oct 17, 2018
Sounds good to me then as you say aslong as it’s removed correctly basically remove it to the instructions your given obviously

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
My 290 with GPF sounds great as standard.

I have the MY19 Cupra before the Copper updates. It's definitely louder with pops and bangs compared to my older 280.

My car seems to be a bit weird as it has all the usual Cupra 300 trim but I have the new version of the digital dash and silver/coloured badges outside with the red callipers along with interior badging and the illuminated Cupra flag on the sill.

My car pops/farts on demand in Cupra/sport mode when warm. It's doesn't seem as noisy compared to some videos on YouTube but it's definitely not a quiet car.

My car has been described as a " FrankenCupra" due to the crossover to the copper builds.

It was a pain to insure at the time as there was no record of this model but the underwriter insured it as a 300.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mar 27, 2020
I'm only looking at getting a stage 1 Revo map so no modifications needed and the car will be going back before it needs it's first MOT Anyway lol
Hi Craig, if you go Revo stage 1 please tell me what you think etc, will be doing mine but waiting till I’ve done 5k miles, cheers ....

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise