what have you done to your car today ?

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Just checked the nappies - it's gone from swamp to bone dry overnight! They must have soaked up at least two litres. Get 6+ size - the biggest and most absorbant.

Im about to give this a go! My driver floor is a small puddle after all the rain here in Germany and my windows have literally water on the inside all over them!

So I will check the door seals... and the cabin filter seals... anything specific I’m looking for? Ripped rubbers or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
So I bought my mk1 last week. It’s a PD150 FR on 169k miles.

Gave it an oil and filter change, air filter, pollen filter and rear discs & pads yesterday.

Seems to have an intermittent fault with the drivers door. Sometimes it opens remotely and sometimes it doesn’t. Always works with turning the key in the door though. So I’ll have a look into that.

Over the years I’ve owned 3 mk2s as well as a mk3, but this my first mk1!

59eea70c3eecc9adbee0c2f69e2eed11.jpg

lightup

May 27, 2019
Im about to give this a go! My driver floor is a small puddle after all the rain here in Germany and my windows have literally water on the inside all over them!

So I will check the door seals... and the cabin filter seals... anything specific I’m looking for? Ripped rubbers or what?

no just the seal on top of the polenfilter should be fitted right. you can feel the underside of handglove cabin if its wet. otherwise bigger chance it coming in through the door. should just check if the doorcards behind the panel are kitted or orginal.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex

Check underneath scuttle panel either side of car
Where the filter housing for pollen filter is, it can clog up with debris and decomposing leaves behind and to sides of housing. This blocks drainage holes that drain to the front wings.
Mine were full of crap on both sides.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Check underneath scuttle panel either side of car
Where the filter housing for pollen filter is, it can clog up with debris and decomposing leaves behind and to sides of housing. This blocks drainage holes that drain to the front wings.
Mine were full of crap on both sides.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Ah yea for sure I know these will be clogged to hell! Thanks for the reminder

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
no just the seal on top of the polenfilter should be fitted right. you can feel the underside of handglove cabin if its wet. otherwise bigger chance it coming in through the door. should just check if the doorcards behind the panel are kitted or orginal.

What do you mean with the doorcards?

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
nice how long did it take you ?
I spent about 3 hours prepping the area, jacking it up, assessing everything, draining fluids and removing the bumper on Thursday afternoon then approx 8 hours carefully removing everything on the Friday.
I could have done it quicker but I was been super careful, labelling plugs and bagging & tagging all bolts etc.

I wont be so meticulous when I pull the donor engine out though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Installed new 120amp alternator today. As the old one wasn’t supplying enough Volts under high load.

Took lots of photos to do a nice write up

Only took about 40min to do the full job.

db6b9eb07c540faca087fb6f21425229.jpg

f97d9ca8f8cc2f6d1c3529ed8cfa9e90.jpg

Reactions: Andrewwright

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I started the car up today and the throttle was surging up and down and it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders ... turned it off and back on did it again.

Then I turned it off ... wiggled and hard tapped all 4 coil packs ... started right up and drove fine!

Want to order 4 coil packs and 4 spark plugs to have on reserve if anything happens on the road. Brand recommendations? Ill be going with copper plugs but need help with coil experiences

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I started the car up today and the throttle was surging up and down and it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders ... turned it off and back on did it again.

Then I turned it off ... wiggled and hard tapped all 4 coil packs ... started right up and drove fine!

Want to order 4 coil packs and 4 spark plugs to have on reserve if anything happens on the road. Brand recommendations? Ill be going with copper plugs but need help with coil experiences

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong with bosch coils.

Reactions: Andrewwright

lightup

May 27, 2019
i

i got the redtop coils. seems to run a little smoother. but thats about it.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.