Carjacking advice

Chlub Hibernian

Mar 7, 2017
I was in Glasgow yesterday for the football and after the game I dropped off a mate at their flat. I was in their place for 20 mins or so having parked less than a minute away. As I walked back to the car, I approached the junction where the car was parked, it was parked second car around a corner, I stupidly hit the open the door button literally a millisecond before I could actually see the car. The car then came into sight and it had been blocked in by a blue Audi S3 with two dodgy looking 'gentlemen' looking inside/closely at it. Their attention was drawn to me, I locked the door and stopped, one of the shouted something along the lines of "oi", I basically went into flight mode and backtracked to the flat rather hurriedly. Regrouped with my mate and returned to the car (initially leaving the keys in his flat) and they were gone.

It's got me thinking, I've extra security on the house doors etc but is there realistically anything that can be done when in the situation above?

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Apologies if i've misunderstood your post but you could put a tracking device in your car and/or a wheel lock if you're concerned about people steeling your car.
I've seen tracking devices on amazon for around £100 for what looks like a semi decent one.

Chlub Hibernian

Mar 7, 2017
Apologies if i've misunderstood your post but you could put a tracking device in your car and/or a wheel lock if you're concerned about people steeling your car.
I've seen tracking devices on amazon for around £100 for what looks like a semi decent one.

I had a look at trackers this morning on Amazon. So many options. Head is spinning.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
I had a look at trackers this morning on Amazon. So many options. Head is spinning.

I also looked at them a while back, was having mixed reviews from people on Amazon. There is a page i've seen on YouTube called 'Automatrics' who recover stolen vehicles with trackers. Maybe they're worth having a look at and see what they use exactly.

Automatrics Mtrack i think is their proper name.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Depends if you get it back early enough before it's stripped, which isn't too unusual to happen.

Reactions: Legojon

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Depends if you get it back early enough before it's stripped, which isn't too unusual to happen.

Still wouldn’t want it back. I drive it the way I do because it’s mine. Anyone else driving it will not exactly look after it so you never know how it’s been handled. In that respect I wouldn’t want it back again as it would be tainted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015

Quite a few cars that have disappeared from round here, they've taken quietly and parked a couple of streets away from the owners house (to wait n see if it has a tracker). Which has amazed me every time it's so close yet the owners still not found it. But anyways, I think rolled off the drive and parked a couple of streets away I'd be unhappy, but still pleased to see it.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Probably better to prevent it being stolen in the first place :)

Aren't there some third party devices that will require a passcode or similar to be entered else the car won't start?

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Probably better to prevent it being stolen in the first place :)

Aren't there some third party devices that will require a passcode or similar to be entered else the car won't start?

Autowatch Ghost requires a series of buttons or key presses before the car can be started. This needs to be coupled with other deterrent in my opinion as the people wanting your car may hold your wife/child and threaten to hurt them if you don’t give them the start code.

@paddy6789 has this and LOTS of other deterrent in place. Good help anyone even trying to steal his car mmm foggy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As an Audi S4 owner, but a normal person and not an Audi driver, I'd think that the two dodgy guys with that Audi S3 had just got their hands on it and probably required your number plates for it prior to "using" it.

Other than fitting Autowatch Ghost, which I believe has some other enhanced features to allow you to part with your running car and still be able to get it to stop a few 100 meters later - but who has the coolness etc needed to trigger the "disable in a few 100 meters" feature just as they are being car jacked - I've never worked that one out , though maybe you would get it right after the 10th car jacking in a week!

I tend to use DiskLok, it is a pain in the neck to use, but if it helps me hold onto my car, I can live with that, I can see that your error was to unlock the car before you were beside it, not a good plan, especially as you then spotted some nasties blocking your car in, I'm sure that your default action when someone blocking your car in - especially nasty looking ones in an Audi S3, would be to walk on, better to live another day than prove that you are no match for hardened nasties.

Reactions: Legojon

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP was concerned at being carjacked. The only defence, other than the US, SA and Brazilian defence which aren't legal in the UK, is to develop great situational awareness.
Who's around, are they dodgy? That sort of thing.

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP was concerned at being carjacked. The only defence, other than the US, SA and Brazilian defence which aren't legal in the UK, is to develop great situational awareness.
Who's around, are they dodgy? That sort of thing.
So cant get in your car if they waiting the opportunity in the corner?
Uk bit funny with crime now.some people easily kill you for no reason after come the reason.

Chlub Hibernian

Mar 7, 2017
So cant get in your car if they waiting the opportunity in the corner?
Uk bit funny with crime now.some people easily kill you for no reason after come the reason.

That basically summarises my original post...walk round a corner, car blocked in, two vs one, in a city you're not from, known Somali cocaine gang acting the goat in the area running about in similar cars. There is literally nothing you can do it would seem.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Carjacking is extremely rare in NZ. But it's one of the easiest ways to steal a car. Unless, as in an Australian vid, the driver accelerates and bowls the scumbag over.
I'm always very cautious if approached while in the car, especially if they look, as we used to say in court, "of a criminal type - your honour".
The trouble is that the Cupra does attract interest down here.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.