Carjacking advice

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP was concerned at being carjacked. The only defence, other than the US, SA and Brazilian defence which aren't legal in the UK, is to develop great situational awareness.
Who's around, are they dodgy? That sort of thing.

Good point, i think i misunderstood the OP.

In that case just try to be very aware of your surroundings without acting paranoid and strange. Just hope they didn't intercept his key fob with their signal scanner tool they use to then come back another day and basically have a key to your car!

Reactions: LouG and Legojon

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I was in Glasgow yesterday for the football and after the game I dropped off a mate at their flat. I was in their place for 20 mins or so having parked less than a minute away. As I walked back to the car, I approached the junction where the car was parked, it was parked second car around a corner, I stupidly hit the open the door button literally a millisecond before I could actually see the car. The car then came into sight and it had been blocked in by a blue Audi S3 with two dodgy looking 'gentlemen' looking inside/closely at it. Their attention was drawn to me, I locked the door and stopped, one of the shouted something along the lines of "oi", I basically went into flight mode and backtracked to the flat rather hurriedly. Regrouped with my mate and returned to the car (initially leaving the keys in his flat) and they were gone.

It's got me thinking, I've extra security on the house doors etc but is there realistically anything that can be done when in the situation above?
That's scary stuff, a bit too close to home tbh. I've had a similar experience in Edinburgh (Balgreen Rd) I seen two guys hovering about the car and looking inside.

I was hoping they were just admiring/being nosey. They went away quickly enough but it was still un-settling as you never know what could happen.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I used to be aware of young guys eyeing up my Audi S4 when I first bought it, I was never convinced that it was just innocent interest, nowadays it sleeps locked up in its garage unless we are travelling long distance, a shame really but that is the way things have evolved into.

Reactions: Peller

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
I found my car missing all 4 wheels two times in the span of a couple of weeks some years ago when I had a beemer. Damage on the car too. Original 19" BBS wheels with new tyres. Since then it was kept in a locked garage.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Walked past someones Audi S3 today on their driveway and it had a wheel clamp on it! Which I assume they did themselves as it was clearly a driveway. Not a bad idea me thinks. I'd have taken a pic, but I didn't want to make them more paranoid.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Didn't think I was in a particular high risk area, cars parked at the end of a curved drive and not visble from the street and theres a gate.

I've ocaisionally had people come up the drive. Very out of place in my little village, but could easily be a kids parent from the neighbouring housing estate asking for their football back. Keys get locked in a shielded safe when the fare is here.

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
Autowatch Ghost all day long. Not only would it stop the getting away with the vehicle in this situation, but it also has anti hijack for other situations, such as being dragged from the car while its running etc. even if they demanded the keys from you they wouldnt get it started.

OOOOOR if in your particular scenario, leg it, or chuck the keys away into the night somewhere!

Reactions: Legojon

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
As an Audi S4 owner, but a normal person and not an Audi driver, I'd think that the two dodgy guys with that Audi S3 had just got their hands on it and probably required your number plates for it prior to "using" it.

Other than fitting Autowatch Ghost, which I believe has some other enhanced features to allow you to part with your running car and still be able to get it to stop a few 100 meters later - but who has the coolness etc needed to trigger the "disable in a few 100 meters" feature just as they are being car jacked - I've never worked that one out , though maybe you would get it right after the 10th car jacking in a week!

I tend to use DiskLok, it is a pain in the neck to use, but if it helps me hold onto my car, I can live with that, I can see that your error was to unlock the car before you were beside it, not a good plan, especially as you then spotted some nasties blocking your car in, I'm sure that your default action when someone blocking your car in - especially nasty looking ones in an Audi S3, would be to walk on, better to live another day than prove that you are no match for hardened nasties.

You dont actually have to trigger anything manually as the driver. While driving your car if it has a ghost installed, the opening of the drivers door is all it would take while the car is running to activate the anti-hijack feature. the car will cut out after a short period when it next comes to a stop and require re-entry of your code. Anti hijack feature is optional on the Ghost

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
OOOOOR if in your particular scenario, leg it, or chuck the keys away into the night somewhere!

I have my different sets of keys all on detachable hooks on one ring. So I can take off eg my car key quickly and still keep my house keys. Or lob the keys to work over the fence and whilst they are distracted leg it with the good ones.

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
I have my different sets of keys all on detachable hooks on one ring. So I can take off eg my car key quickly and still keep my house keys. Or lob the keys to work over the fence and whilst they are distracted leg it with the good ones.

a cheap and simple yet affective measure - I like it

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
As an Audi S4 owner, but a normal person and not an Audi driver, I'd think that the two dodgy guys with that Audi S3 had just got their hands on it and probably required your number plates for it prior to "using" it.

Other than fitting Autowatch Ghost, which I believe has some other enhanced features to allow you to part with your running car and still be able to get it to stop a few 100 meters later - but who has the coolness etc needed to trigger the "disable in a few 100 meters" feature just as they are being car jacked - I've never worked that one out , though maybe you would get it right after the 10th car jacking in a week!

I tend to use DiskLok, it is a pain in the neck to use, but if it helps me hold onto my car, I can live with that, I can see that your error was to unlock the car before you were beside it, not a good plan, especially as you then spotted some nasties blocking your car in, I'm sure that your default action when someone blocking your car in - especially nasty looking ones in an Audi S3, would be to walk on, better to live another day than prove that you are no match for hardened nasties.

I like how you manage to highlight in both your posts in this thread that you are in fact an S4 owner and not a lowly Seat owner haha.

Reactions: LouG

Pferdestarke

Jun 9, 2019
Autowatch Ghost all day long. Not only would it stop the getting away with the vehicle in this situation, but it also has anti hijack for other situations, such as being dragged from the car while its running etc. even if they demanded the keys from you they wouldnt get it started.

The ghost’s anti hijack doesn’t work on the Cupra unfortunately. So I’m told by my installer. I’d like to be proved wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pferdestarke

Jun 9, 2019
This is what it says on the web site

NOTE: Anti-hijack is not designed for the UK market, this is a feature designed for the global market. Activating this feature in the UK is not authorised by Autowatch UK Ltd.

It is car dependent rather than domicile market, contrary to what their disclaimer suggests. To have the anti hijack on the Cupra would involve another bit of kit called the “Shadow”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I thought this thread was about how to find the secret jacking points on the leon chassis. Disappointed.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I thought this thread was about how to find the secret jacking points on the leon chassis. Disappointed.

I've not needed to discover that yet, but as I'll be fitting winter wheels/tyres to my daughter's new Leon Cupra soon, I'm planning to use the reinforced areas at the 4 sill jacking points - I have Jackpoint jack stands, not to be flash but because as soon as I bought my slightly used Audi S4 back in 2013, I thought "how the f--- do I safely jack this car up?"

Now, with my wife's previous and current VW Polos, I have fitted Audi TT jacking point protectors and that, before I bought the 2 pairs of Jackpoint jack stands, worked well enough for me, some VW Golf people also use these Audi TT jacking point protectors, or similar items, but I don't know if that is relevant to current VW Golf and so current SEAT Leon.

I adapted the standard tops/tables of the Jackpoint jack stands to spread the load a bit more and to make sure that the load is mainly on the inner reinforced area and less on the outer reinforced areas, the folded/welded area is just used for location/stability and the groove in the adaptors is deep enough to allow for that, also these adaptors are lined with 5mm rubber sheeting, so 've done as much as I can to keep things safe for me and the cars. Due to the newer Polo having greater ground clearance, I have had to make up another set of adaptors as using the ones made for the S4 did not give enough lift to keep the front wheels clear of the ground.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've not needed to discover that yet, but as I'll be fitting winter wheels/tyres to my daughter's new Leon Cupra soon, I'm planning to use the reinforced areas at the 4 sill jacking points...

The problem comes when you need to put the car on axle stands as those sill points are the only ones given for the car. It actually has four other jacking points but Seat don't tell you where they are. Two are under removable covers just behind the front arches and the other two are on the chassis rails just in front of the back arches.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
The problem comes when you need to put the car on axle stands as those sill points are the only ones given for the car. It actually has four other jacking points but Seat don't tell you where they are. Two are under removable covers just behind the front arches and the other two are on the chassis rails just in front of the back arches.
Successful thread conversion, well done... :duck:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.