What intercooler are people running and why

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
Looking in to intercoolers. At the moment it's a toss up between 2. Either the airtech air pro alloy
airtec_leon_pd150_lcr_core__37944.1449614192.jpg
PRODTHM-633-1.jpg

So not really sure. Have messaged both company's for core sizes and thickness. And even flow rate if they tested it. But if people have any other recommendations please tell.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
An intercooler is what it is...the bigger the better but not to big depending of your hp goals. Them ones you talk of are great in a way but it's just an intercooler at the end of the day. Pipework can be had from basically anywhere on the net for a lot cheaper.
With the name brands your paying for "fit and forget" easy installation high priced but as they say R&D cost money.

Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Manic172

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I think you would be better off getting a quality vertical flow core, and then have the piping done custom to your car. You’re having everything done so top notch you should do the same for your Intercooler as well do yourself a Favor and research vertical Flow versus normal horizontal Flow intercooler efficiency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Mines a Toyo Sport. Good for 500 ponies.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.
Exactly this. £600 V's £200 and big number can be had from both.

Before fitting you could if you really wanted to...spray a name on it to stand out. I thought (Cupra) would look good

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Airtec here as well.

Just a thought though , this is a race car right ? - You do not want to be fitting exotic parts that you cannot carry spares of.If I can pass on one thing of 30 years motorsports involvement use stuff that is available off the shelf or can be easily repaired in the mud out the back of the pit area..

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Airtec here as well.

Just a thought though , this is a race car right ? - You do not want to be fitting exotic parts that you cannot carry spares of.If I can pass on one thing of 30 years motorsports involvement use stuff that is available off the shelf or can be easily repaired in the mud out the back of the pit area..

Although I agree with you on wanting to be able to fix things easily. If you make something custom ... you can always make 2 of them for example. But what on an intercooler is going to break? The core? If you have solid Aluminium piping. The only weak spots are the couplers, or if something puts a hole in the core.

Airtec and Toyo are both good quality. Something like forge and apr are also great but harder to get a hold of. I personally would want hard piping not silicon but to each is their own

You really can’t go wrong as long as you just don’t go with an cheap Chinese eBay unit those are only good for 300hp area and drop off after that for efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
What ca wrong ? - Race cars crash - quite a lot , whether your fault or not , the number of front end impacts is quite high especially in a front wheel drive car.

And no I dont recommend the £100 ebay specials either.

Fozzy84

Apr 23, 2012
I’ve done an eBay ‘cooler in the past and the drama making it fit plus the cost of parts etc I was in over £300.
Plus kept having issues with boost pipes blowing off.
This time I spent more and got an Airtec. Even with big silicon pipes I’m happy with it

Attachments

• CCEF9774-8084-4339-9237-8ECA5D45645C.jpeg
    CCEF9774-8084-4339-9237-8ECA5D45645C.jpeg
    667.2 KB · Views: 71

Damien Wood

Aug 28, 2018
I went with an airtec, I got stupid quotes from places to fit and supply an intercooler so went with the airtec. I fitted in 2.5 hours with no issues at all. Getting the bumper back on was the worst part lol. I also cut the front bumper and put a custom grill in. Looks good