Oil Leak - Where from possibilities?

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Hey Guys

My younger sister has a 1.2 Seat Ibiza TSI 62 plate. I believe she has a oil leak as oil level is low. She is currently away at Uni at the moment and has the car.

I'm aware of your usual.places to check but wondering if there are any common places these leak that I may mot know about?

I'm going to check:
1) Sump, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing. Any other places common or specific to Seat?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
When was the oil last topped up? I've got an older Leon with 70k on the clock and I'm having to top it up every 6 or so weeks just to keep it to the max. I don't believe it has a leak, just being an older engine it's using oil.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
When was the oil last topped up? I've got an older Leon with 70k on the clock and I'm having to top it up every 6 or so weeks just to keep it to the max. I don't believe it has a leak, just being an older engine it's using oil.
It hasn't been topped up for awhile. I serviced it about 6 months ago. She sent a picture of the dipstick and "if" She has measured correctly is quite low (see pic) . Car has about 40k on it on an 62 plate. But info believe it's a leak
af215b65a9ec13d6242ade63acd22296.jpg

inbetweener

Jan 19, 2016
Hey Guys

My younger sister has a 1.2 Seat Ibiza TSI 62 plate. I believe she has a oil leak as oil level is low. She is currently away at Uni at the moment and has the car.

I'm aware of your usual.places to check but wondering if there are any common places these leak that I may mot know about?

I'm going to check:
1) Sump, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing. Any other places common or specific to Seat?

It is possible to use half a litre of oil every 500 miles in SEAT car. Your dipstick looks like it could be half a litre short. So if you haven't topped up the oil in 500 miles I wouldn't waste time looking for an oil leak if you don't see signs of an oil leak on the road under the car. Turbo petrol engines especially use oil.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd never say that an engine "has" to use oil, my older daughter had an Ibiza 1.4 16V SC from late 2009 until August this year with 55K miles and it never used oil, well by that I mean that it never needed topping up with engine oil, my 2011 Audi S4 never needs topping up with oil and my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 16V has never, yet needed topping up with oil.

So, maybe get your sister to pull out the dip stick, wipe it clean and then re-fit it, then 5 minutes later pull it out and take a picture of it - or is that what she has done.

One point where oil mist and maybe a small amount of oil could escape on that 1.2TSI 8V engine is if the crankcase purging limiter valve breaks off where it passes into the cam cover - if she takes a video of the top of the engine you would see if there was any evidence of oil or oil mist getting dumped out any where - I think if that plastic valve stub was broken there would be a smell of oil etc when the engine was running. Also a video taken from the top of the engine might show if the oil filter area had a leak, if she looked under the car she could spot if it leaves oil on the ground after sitting for a while.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
I'd never say that an engine "has" to use oil, my older daughter had an Ibiza 1.4 16V SC from late 2009 until August this year with 55K miles and it never used oil, well by that I mean that it never needed topping up with engine oil, my 2011 Audi S4 never needs topping up with oil and my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 16V has never, yet needed topping up with oil.

So, maybe get your sister to pull out the dip stick, wipe it clean and then re-fit it, then 5 minutes later pull it out and take a picture of it - or is that what she has done.

One point where oil mist and maybe a small amount of oil could escape on that 1.2TSI 8V engine is if the crankcase purging limiter valve breaks off where it passes into the cam cover - if she takes a video of the top of the engine you would see if there was any evidence of oil or oil mist getting dumped out any where - I think if that plastic valve stub was broken there would be a smell of oil etc when the engine was running. Also a video taken from the top of the engine might show if the oil filter area had a leak, if she looked under the car she could spot if it leaves oil on the ground after sitting for a while.
Thanks rum. After running around trying to order her some oil. It turns out she.may have read it wrong. She checked it a couple times after and now it is a couple of millimetres below.max. So could do w9th a top up.of about 100ml - 200ml
But you never know with her so told her I want her check level every day. For next week to be safe.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall

Go to still inspect. As I.agree.with you that I don't like cars.losing.oil and.just topping it up. My.mom has an 2009 1.4 Sport coupe and it doesn't lose oil.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.