Cupra Mode DSG

Cupra101

Aug 22, 2018
Hey all.

Does anybody know if you can programme the cupra mode to the DSG gear stick. Currently if I pull back in auto on the stick it puts it into sport but would be handy to programme to cupra mode instead, rather than having to go into the menu and manually select it

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Hey all.

Does anybody know if you can programme the cupra mode to the DSG gear stick. Currently if I pull back in auto on the stick it puts it into sport but would be handy to programme to cupra mode instead, rather than having to go into the menu and manually select it

Select CUPRA mode as standard and leave the gearbox in Drive. That way when you pull back on the DSG stick you get full CUPRA mode. (For CUPRA mode, DSG will read sport) That’s how I have it, Car is just a little tweak from full CUPRA but allows me to take it easy when I want to.

Other than that look at Individual mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rocket3

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
Select CUPRA mode as standard and leave the gearbox in Drive. That way when you pull back on the DSG stick you get full CUPRA mode. (For CUPRA mode, DSG will read sport) That’s how I have it, Car is just a little tweak from full CUPRA but allows me to take it easy when I want to.

Other than that look at Individual mode.

If you leave it in Cupra and restart, the engine will be in comfort. Even if you then pull back on the gearstick, it puts the gearbox into 'sport' but the engine is still in comfort - you can tell as there's no pops and bangs on overrun.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
When I select Cupra mode my DSG always shows as Sport (S1,2,3 etc). Should this display C1,2,3 etc? Am I doing something wrong?

Jib

May 22, 2007
Doncaster, South Yorks
When I select Cupra mode my DSG always shows as Sport (S1,2,3 etc). Should this display C1,2,3 etc? Am I doing something wrong?

"S" is correct for Cupra mode. You can flick between S and D by pulling down on the selector.

I tend to use "individual" which i have set everything to Cupra apart from the suspension (comfort). Cupra suspension mode is just too firm for every day driving.

Reactions: Kirky

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
If you leave it in Cupra and restart, the engine will be in comfort. Even if you then pull back on the gearstick, it puts the gearbox into 'sport' but the engine is still in comfort - you can tell as there's no pops and bangs on overrun.

I’m aware that the Engine always starts in Comfort. I tend to do most of my driving with CUPRA mode selected and the engine in Comfort until I decide I need a little more power, then I go to Manual or pull back on the DSG stick to put the engine in Sport mode.

Never really been bothered about pops and bangs on overrun, however I do like the DSG farts when putting my foot down.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
No always displays as either E, D or S.

But as @CupraRobX says If your engine mode is in comfort (which it will be on restart regardless of driver profile), knocking the gearbox to S alternates between sport and comfort. On the pre-facelift it would remember economy mode, but not it appears on the facelift.

After a restart, for your engine mode to be put into Cupra mode, you have to tap on Cupra profile, or setup in individual, tap Individual again.

Once engine is properly in Cupra mode, knocking the gearbox leaver will alternate between Comfort and Cupra.

So Eco - gearbox/engine alternates between eco and sport.
Comfort - gearbox/engine alternates between comfort and sport.
Sport - gearbox/engine alternates between sport and comfort.
Cupra - gearbox/engine alternates between cupra and comfort.

But on the facelift, regardless after an engine start your engine mode is in comfort, and knocking into sport only gives sport. This is more obvious with my res delete, as it pops for fun in Cupra mode.

Last edited:

Cupra101

Aug 22, 2018
Cheers guys.

So overall are we saying, if I put into cupra mode when I first start up and knock back the stick, it will put me into comfort? Do I have to do this each time? Is thee only difference between sport and cupra mode suspension? Cos when I go into sport I get the pops and bangs still.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
This has been said before, but I get farts, pops and bangs anytime I'm in S mode regardless of engine setting (I don't use eco). Even get farts in D if I wind it out enough.
Currently I'm using individual mode, DCC - comfort, Engine - Sport or Cupra, Steering - Cupra.

Deleted member 103408

Apart from throttle response, cupra makes no difference to the engine bar the sound actuator

According to the SEAT manual

Engine
Depending on the profile selected, the engine responds more spontaneously or more in harmony with the movements of the accelerator.

Additionally, when Eco mode is selected, the Start-stop function is automatically activated.

In vehicles with automatic transmission, the gear change points are modified to position them in lower or higher engine speed ranges.
Additionally, the Eco1) mode activates the Inertia function, enabling consumption to be further reduced.

In manual gearbox vehicles, Eco1) mode causes the gear change recommendation indications that appear on the instrument panel to
vary, facilitating more efficient driving.

Dynamic chassis control (DCC)
DCC continuously adapts the shock absorbers to the condition of the road and current driving conditions, according to the pre-set
programme.

Power Steering
Becomes more robust in Sport mode to enable a sportier driving style. In the Leon Cupra the power steering becomes
more robust in Cupra mode.

Air conditioning
In vehicles with Climatronic, this can operate
in eco1) mode, especially restricting fuel consumption.

So yes it does only change the the throttle response but in turn for most users this means the car feels more powerful / responsive / aggressive etc. And lets face it most users turn off the structure-borne noise actuator:

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
According to the SEAT manual

Engine
Depending on the profile selected, the engine responds more spontaneously or more in harmony with the movements of the accelerator.

Additionally, when Eco mode is selected, the Start-stop function is automatically activated.

In vehicles with automatic transmission, the gear change points are modified to position them in lower or higher engine speed ranges.
Additionally, the Eco1) mode activates the Inertia function, enabling consumption to be further reduced.

In manual gearbox vehicles, Eco1) mode causes the gear change recommendation indications that appear on the instrument panel to
vary, facilitating more efficient driving.

Dynamic chassis control (DCC)
DCC continuously adapts the shock absorbers to the condition of the road and current driving conditions, according to the pre-set
programme.

Power Steering
Becomes more robust in Sport mode to enable a sportier driving style. In the Leon Cupra the power steering becomes
more robust in Cupra mode.

Air conditioning
In vehicles with Climatronic, this can operate
in eco1) mode, especially restricting fuel consumption.

So yes it does only change the the throttle response but in turn for most users this means the car feels more powerful / responsive / aggressive etc. And lets face it most users turn off the structure-borne noise actuator:
Yep like I said throttle response for engine

Deleted member 103408

Just adding to your point with more information for others who do not read this forum.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Apart from throttle response, cupra makes no difference to the engine bar the sound actuator
Changing throttle response can require quite a lot of changes to engine management. Fuel mapping, throttle mapping, ignition mapping for a start. Probably more than putting a tuning box on.
It not just a matter of opening the throttle body/s earlier and wider.

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Changing throttle response can require quite a lot of changes to engine management. Fuel mapping, throttle mapping, ignition mapping for a start. Probably more than putting a tuning box on.
It not just a matter of opening the throttle body/s earlier and wider.
Agreed but when data logs have been posted before of people changing modes, hardly any of these come into play as the data just doesn't change at all in the logs

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.