everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Hey Guys

Can anyone tell me if this forum provides a 'How to section' regarding specific jobs?

If not has anyone have any sources of information where I can find information about this job i.e Youtube, Own write up, another vehicle that shares same engine and info on that one? etc.

I have a Seat Ibiza mk5 2009 1.4 SC and wanted to know if there is a how to on how to replace a timing belt on the model ibiza?

Thanks

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Register with Erwin and download the workshop manual if you are competent enough to carry out this work on an engine. You will also need or should buy an engine locking kit to keep everything in the correct position, engine mounting will need to be removed and then fitted with new bolts, also remember that it is not just the belt that should be changed, other components in that drive system will need to be assessed and replaced either as part of the correct kit or as extras.

For me, I do all my own repairs as far as I can on all my cars, timing belts I leave to others who have the correct kit.

Reactions: everson38

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I had a mate do mine recently, he was doing most of the job apart from “hold this, turn that, etc” the locking tools are a must, as is changing the water pump and pulleys/tensioner, yes I could have done, it but probably twice the time and, getting it on a lift in the workshop makes a huge difference.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
I had a mate do mine recently, he was doing most of the job apart from “hold this, turn that, etc” the locking tools are a must, as is changing the water pump and pulleys/tensioner, yes I could have done, it but probably twice the time and, getting it on a lift in the workshop makes a huge difference.

Thats something I wish I had, some mechanically minded friends, all mine are 21st century - we dont get our hands dirty types lol. So all by my tod as a abit of a piston head . I agree if you can get a friend to do it for you but you watch, next time round you will do it probably be able to do it on your own if

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Register with Erwin and download the workshop manual if you are competent enough to carry out this work on an engine. You will also need or should buy an engine locking kit to keep everything in the correct position, engine mounting will need to be removed and then fitted with new bolts, also remember that it is not just the belt that should be changed, other components in that drive system will need to be assessed and replaced either as part of the correct kit or as extras.

For me, I do all my own repairs as far as I can on all my cars, timing belts I leave to others who have the correct kit.
Hey rum,

thanks for that,i registered with erwin. I assume it is a pay for service (which is fine) My online concern I have, is there anyway to see a preview of what you getting? a little try b4 you buy if you will, would hate to spend my money, get access and then its all vague and non specific. Im usually a fan of let the garages handle timing belts etc too, but i got a story to follow soon (so eyes peeled for that) and also I have aspirations in my many years to come of diy fixing cars, to be come that guy that can do these types of jobs,when i see people who who rebuild engines, tmiming belts, the upper echelon i call it. I find it impressive and would like to give it a go, but only if its not out of my skill set mind, im no fool lol.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
This is the "old" engine with the little belt that runs between the two cam sprockets behind the main, much longer belt, that brings the drive up from the crank sprocket? If so there are loads of you tube etc sources but i notice it's also covered in the "new" Haynes publication 6451 for the Ibiza May 2008 to June 2017. I've just bought a copy to assist with maintenance on my 2016 Ibiza 1.0 litre.

Reactions: RUM4MO

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
This is the "old" engine with the little belt that runs between the two cam sprockets behind the main, much longer belt, that brings the drive up from the crank sprocket? If so there are loads of you tube etc sources but i notice it's also covered in the "new" Haynes publication 6451 for the Ibiza May 2008 to June 2017. I've just bought a copy to assist with maintenance on my 2016 Ibiza 1.0 litre.
Hey cross,

thanks for this info, i dont believe tis engine has the two belts, im pretty sure it is just one, but i would need to double check. I did buy the haynes manual and im pretty sure why i posted this was because it showed it with two belts and im sure i remember thinking ???? So was hoping there is a specific specificfor my engine, but doubting myself now lol.

Oct 22, 2019
Thanks for this oriel, i will give these a read when I get a chance. Did you use these to do your own timing belt?
Yes. It is very easy. I suggest you to give it a try if you have a free day. I can help you but it still rquire a technical sense. if you have the right feeling for it and also it rquire a lot of patience for the first time. you can do this at your home whitout all the special tools mentioned.
Here a video of the engine type in the links I sent above: (also timing replacement)
Tell if you have the same one

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hey cross,

thanks for this info, i dont believe tis engine has the two belts, im pretty sure it is just one, but i would need to double check. I did buy the haynes manual and im pretty sure why i posted this was because it showed it with two belts and im sure i remember thinking ???? So was hoping there is a specific specificfor my engine, but doubting myself now lol.

It will have, unless you have worked an alternative way that the second camshaft gets turned.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hey rum,

thanks for that,i registered with erwin. I assume it is a pay for service (which is fine) My online concern I have, is there anyway to see a preview of what you getting? a little try b4 you buy if you will, would hate to spend my money, get access and then its all vague and non specific. Im usually a fan of let the garages handle timing belts etc too, but i got a story to follow soon (so eyes peeled for that) and also I have aspirations in my many years to come of diy fixing cars, to be come that guy that can do these types of jobs,when i see people who who rebuild engines, tmiming belts, the upper echelon i call it. I find it impressive and would like to give it a go, but only if its not out of my skill set mind, im no fool lol.

No you either have to trust that you have the ability to follow/use these workshop instructions or you have not. These official workshop manuals are written for trained mechanics with the necessary equipment available, they are not written like Haynes DIYer guides.

Just remember, making any silly errors when changing a cambelt can have serious outcomes - and they all can be expensive.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.