HELP! - 64 Ibiza TSI ACT FR - (POTENTIAL TURBO ISSUE)

Sep 26, 2019
So I can't seem to find any versions of this issue anywhere on the forum, but i'm just looking for a bit of advice before taking the car for a diagnostic.

The car is a 64 plate Ibiza 6J - TSI ACT FR. On Saturday the car just felt like it had lost power. Previous owner had a Forge Motorsports dump valve fitted, the noise when the air from the turbo is usually released seems to be missing, instead it has now become a sort of hissing noise that builds up until I let off the accelerator. It's not a major problem for daily driving, but i'm worrisome to taking any sort of motorway journey as i'll constantly be up in the higher revs. There is also a noticeable loss in power, the car currently feels like its naturally aspirated, also currently on 43k.

I usually use 95 RON if that makes any difference.

Any help is massively appreciated!

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
So I can't seem to find any versions of this issue anywhere on the forum, but i'm just looking for a bit of advice before taking the car for a diagnostic.

The car is a 64 plate Ibiza 6J - TSI ACT FR. On Saturday the car just felt like it had lost power. Previous owner had a Forge Motorsports dump valve fitted, the noise when the air from the turbo is usually released seems to be missing, instead it has now become a sort of hissing noise that builds up until I let off the accelerator. It's not a major problem for daily driving, but i'm worrisome to taking any sort of motorway journey as i'll constantly be up in the higher revs. There is also a noticeable loss in power, the car currently feels like its naturally aspirated, also currently on 43k.

I usually use 95 RON if that makes any difference.

Any help is massively appreciated!
Sound a little like what happened to my 2016 Ibiza 1.0 3 cylinder 95HP. Have you any dashboard lights on (wondering if any DTC's might be posted which could be helpful.) Mine suddenly, with absolutely no warning, lost power and lit a dash light whilst I was pulling away from our road end. I was on the way to pick up my young granddaughter from school so, against all my instincts, I carried on to the school. The car drove quite well but just had no "go" in it. Once the girl was safely collected I got my wife to come with our other car and pick her up and I rang SEAT Assist (the car was still under warranty) and waited for them to come. The fellow who attended was terrific. He scanned the car and put his hand down the back of the engine. I asked what was wrong, explaining that I'd worked as a mechanic for a lot of my life. "It's the turbo - jump in and we'll drop it at the dealer. It'll probably drive normally but it's not fixed". He then waited whilst the car was booked in and gave me a run back home. As we drove I quizzed him about what had gone wrong. I learned that the earlier turbos sometimes seize up the wastegate actuator rod. where it pivots on the wastegate lever on the turbo itself.

The dealership were unable to sort the old turbo so fitted a new one - all FOC under warranty - Thank you SEAT! I asked them to keep the old turbo so I could see what had gone wrong which they did. The problem, which they told me they'd seen before, is the connection on the end of the actuating rod where it swivels on the wastegate pivot. It simply seizes up! Mine was absolutely solid. You could see how they'd mangled it trying to remove it. I believe the link is available separately - I'm actually quite glad mine couldn't be removed as I "won" a whole new turbo! I've had a close look at the new turbo's linkage and the end is quite different to the original. The original is a substantial very "squared off" block with a hole through the middle where the pivot fits. The new one is almost spherical, much more in the style of a rose joint. The old linkage was of "shiny" metal (chromed or nickel plated?) whereas the new one is black and not at all shiny. I had to hang around for a while when I went to pick up the car and, whilst no salesmen were looking I stuck my hand down the back of a 1.0 litre 3 cyl Arona engine (same engine) and could plainly feel that it had the new setup. Maybe it's something like this with yours - then again maybe not.

Of course hissing noises are not unusual when a pipe has come loose somewhere? maybe that's all that's happened?

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members