Does the factory fitted Navigon work with an aftermarket head unit?

GeorgeBT

Nov 27, 2017
Morning all,

A few months ago I swapped out the factory fitted head unit for a touch display one in my 2014 Ibiza FR. At the time this was because my Navigon broke and a replacement was a minimum of £80 for a second hand eBay part so thought why not spend a couple of hundred and make it look good.

The other day though I spotted a bargain on eBay - An Ibiza head unit, centre console switches, and Navigon for £70! With a £10 eBay voucher it only ended up costing me £65 with postage and have since sold the head unit and switches for £60 so I'm only down £5.

However, I'm having some trouble with the Navigon. It works fine on a power lead and the map functionality is perfect with no lag. When I put it in the car though, nothing! No power! :(

I've tried with the cradle that was sent with the Navigon and my own cradle and still nothing. However, I decided to put my original Navigon on the cradle to test because that device only had a motherboard issue but it used to still power onto a blank backlit screen. So I tried this one but still no power.

So now that's got me wondering if upgrading the head unit has impacted the power going to the cradle and maybe the Navigon will never work for as long as it doesn't have a factory head unit in place.

Before I decide to stand on the side of the road flagging down fellow Ibiza drivers asking if I can test my Navigon in their vehicles, I was wondering if anybody knew if this is a known issue or if anyones got any advice.

Cheers,
George

Arnout84

Mar 5, 2019
The Navigon (or Garmin) is an “extension” for your factory radio. The cradle is connected to the “PID” port on the back of the radio. And that’s how the Navigon reads your car trough the radio. There was never an aftermarket solution for this and there never will be.

Driver

Oct 9, 2016
UK
How did you get over relocating the “start-stop” button? I haven’t been able to find a centre console multi-switch panel with both the hazard warning AND the start-stop buttons. I’m assuming you replaced the factory-fitted headunit with a 2-din one.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.