Running

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
Do we have any runners on here?

I started running in January this year initially to get fit to get back playing football after 3 bad knee injuries in 3 years (2x MCL, 1x ACL) but after a few weeks I started to really enjoy it. It’s now become pretty much an obsession.

Since January I have ran 1300km, ran road races, trail races, up hills, down hills and will be running my first ultramarathon in 2 weeks time. I feel great but running has really helped with my mental health as well. I didn’t have a problem but I’m a much better person to be around now. Can’t recommend it enough.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Nice one, good hear it’s made you feel better.
I do a mix of running and cycling but nothing competitive, just a casual fitness for myself. I’ve ran the Great North Run a couple of times for charity and loved it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
Nice one, good hear it’s made you feel better.
I do a mix of running and cycling but nothing competitive, just a casual fitness for myself. I’ve ran the Great North Run a couple of times for charity and loved it

Thanks! I love the racing. My best result so far was 18th from nearly 500 runners in the Wirral 10k.

GNR is on my list of races to try and run next year. Already missed out in the London ballot. Already signed up for the Chester 50 miler in February.

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
I was the same as you for around 10 years mate after stopping smoking, did a 10k distance Monday and Wednesday and Half Marathon distance Saturday morning every single week in all weather, it was like a drug. On top of that i was doing weights in the gym Tuesday and Thursday. I was then hit with a knee problem cue physio didn't do anything so i went for Keyhole on the knee my cartilage was shot they trimmed 2/3 of it away and i was advised to pack in running totally.

I was gutted, like you fiscally and mentally while doing all the above i was buzzing and never looked as good. Now i walk with a limp and the stiffness in that knee is terrible. Still do the weights but little cardio now.

Moral of this story dont over do it or it may stop you all together .

Reactions: hilly81

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I just got old. Used to do loads of stuff... ran at least 5k a week, swim a mile a week, kickboxing, boxing, snowboarding, weights. But slowly through injury and wear n tear I mostly sit on the sofa eating doritos.

Used to love running though :(.

Although... I was out running once... had done about 1/2 mile and I was plodding along listening to Eminem. It was dark n cold n late so I kept a look out around me. I noticed another runner. An elderly woman maybe in her 80s about 500m behind me. Meh... carried on running, looked back and she was about 250m behind me. So I picked up the pace. Looked back again and she was about 50m behind me. I picked up the pace more, feeling my arms and legs starting to burn. Looked back and she was about 20m behind me... So I pretended my shoelace had come undone in an overacted Eastenders drama style to show that I could have taken her... if it wasn't for the lace. So I let her go past and waited 2 minutes till she'd disappeared.

Reactions: hilly81 and Compo1

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Worst thing that happened to me while running was a great dane running after me down the side of a canal. Bloody thing took a liking to me and mounted me :help: knocking me into the canal. While i was bobbing around in there looking up at the dog all i could think was if that thing jumps in here it will drowned me.

Funny as hell now and the wife loves telling that tale but very scary for me at the time :blink:

Reactions: Legojon and hilly81

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
I was the same as you for around 10 years mate after stopping smoking, did a 10k distance Monday and Wednesday and Half Marathon distance Saturday morning every single week in all weather, it was like a drug. On top of that i was doing weights in the gym Tuesday and Thursday. I was then hit with a knee problem cue physio didn't do anything so i went for Keyhole on the knee my cartilage was shot they trimmed 2/3 of it away and i was advised to pack in running totally.

I was gutted, like you fiscally and mentally while doing all the above i was buzzing and never looked as good. Now i walk with a limp and the stiffness in that knee is terrible. Still do the weights but little cardio now.

Moral of this story dont over do it or it may stop you all together .
It’s a good point. I think I’m of the attitude that I may as well enjoy it as much as I can now while I’m still relatively fit, especially while my kids are still young. They like coming to the races and seeing me suffer! But they have also taken an interest and we all do junior parkrun together as often as we can.

Reactions: Compo1 and Legojon

perelaar

Jan 18, 2019
Sugartown Belgium
I did a lot of running in the past, but had to give it up due to recurring injuries to knees. Unfortunately, only hard tarmac or concrete roads to run on here...

Reactions: Compo1

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Thanks! I love the racing. My best result so far was 18th from nearly 500 runners in the Wirral 10k.

GNR is on my list of races to try and run next year. Already missed out in the London ballot. Already signed up for the Chester 50 miler in February.

The ballot for GNR opens around February but if you don’t make it through that then there are loads of places through a charity

Reactions: hilly81

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Ive had a serious of crappy injuries, most recently a dislocated shoulder. How did you overcome the getting in from work at 1930 and finding the energy to put your running shoes on?
I get up at 6 to leave for work at 6:30 and dont usually get home until gone 7. By which point im knackered. Luckily there is a gym at work which i make use of but there isn't a lot I can do besides cycling and running machines until my shoulder is in a better state.

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
Ive had a serious of crappy injuries, most recently a dislocated shoulder. How did you overcome the getting in from work at 1930 and finding the energy to put your running shoes on?
I get up at 6 to leave for work at 6:30 and dont usually get home until gone 7. By which point im knackered. Luckily there is a gym at work which i make use of but there isn't a lot I can do besides cycling and running machines until my shoulder is in a better state.
To be honest, I don't do a huge amount of running in the evening. I'm pretty lucky in that it is ok for me to go out for an hour at lunch while at work. There are plenty of showers, changing rooms etc. I do run in the evenings occasionally though and you're right, it's not easy after getting in after a long day at work especially now I don't really see daylight anymore.

Bad news is, 10 days away from my Ultra and I have a minor knee injury. I think it is an IT band issue so I'm taking a few days off. Perhaps run this weekend (Possibly a Parkrun) then a couple of small runs next week to keep the legs loose. Whatever happens with the knee I'll be on the start-line and giving it a bloody good go on the 9th.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I like to do a bit of running, don't do many races these days, I've got older and slower.
I still do parkrun every week, its only 5k but keeps me active and I like to volunteer when I can.
Does anyone else do parkrun?

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
I like to do a bit of running, don't do many races these days, I've got older and slower.
I still do parkrun every week, its only 5k but keeps me active and I like to volunteer when I can.
Does anyone else do parkrun?
I do Parkrun occasionally. Saturday mornings tends to be snarled up by the kids doing Swimming, Ballet etc. Always really enjoy them when I do make one though.

Chester 50 mile ultra for me this Saturday. Conditions look horrendous. Should be fun.......

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members