Golf sill trims

Geraint Thomas

Jun 24, 2019
Just wondering if anyone has fitted, or know if these Golf sill trims would fit a Leon?
Screenshot_20191027-180912.jpg
Screenshot_20191027-180932.jpg

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
You’re relying on the profile and length of the car’s sill to be the same on both the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf and mk3 Leon for the Golf sill extensions to fit the Leon.

The wheelbase of the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf is 2,637 mm, whereas the wheelbase of the Leon is slightly shorter at 2,631 mm so the Leon’s sill may also be slightly shorter, in which case the Golf sill extensions would be slightly too long. If you cut the end of the sill extension off to shorten it, it would leave an unsightly hole in the cut end of the sill extension.

On the Golf, these sill extensions are attached to the car in the factory onto a series of screws / studs that are screwed into holes along the length of the sill. The sill extensions have horizontal slot holes in the reverse side and these are lined up with the screws in in the sill. The sill extension is then slid towards the rear of the car to lock it in place, and two (I think) hex headed bolts are screwed through the underside of the sill extension up into the sill to secure it.

Be aware that drilling holes in the sills of your car will probably invalidate your corrosion warranty.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
You’re relying on the profile and length of the car’s sill to be the same on both the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf and mk3 Leon for the Golf sill extensions to fit the Leon.

The wheelbase of the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf is 2,637 mm, whereas the wheelbase of the Leon is slightly shorter at 2,631 mm so the Leon’s sill may also be slightly shorter, in which case the Golf sill extensions would be slightly too long. If you cut the end of the sill extension off to shorten it, it would leave an unsightly hole in the cut end of the sill extension.

On the Golf, these sill extensions are attached to the car in the factory onto a series of screws / studs that are screwed into holes along the length of the sill. The sill extensions have horizontal slot holes in the reverse side and these are lined up with the screws in in the sill. The sill extension is then slid towards the rear of the car to lock it in place, and two (I think) hex headed bolts are screwed through the underside of the sill extension up into the sill to secure it.

Be aware that drilling holes in the sills of your car will probably invalidate your corrosion warranty.
In the photo above, it almost looks like its got a cap on the end. If it does, shortening wouldn't be an issue I don't think.

S4BiT

Dec 8, 2018
About the sill covers from another brands, i myself was looking for the one from Audi B8 (B8.5) A4, they are having nice blades with the S-line package and the sill curve looks almost identical to our. Also they are not exactly the lenght of the Audis sill so it can sit normally even if our sills are a little bit shorter/longer. They are looking as a newer Performance Pack sill covers from theire design. The price also wasnt a lot from new and the fixing can be made with the two-sided tape and/or glue.
Just a one more option to think about..

S4BiT

Dec 8, 2018
One random pic from the internet.

Attachments

• C6AE3102-E344-49AF-9BFF-7E9FAE0D5B90.jpeg
    C6AE3102-E344-49AF-9BFF-7E9FAE0D5B90.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 69

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008

Another reason i havent bothered. Considered the maxton side skirts but theres no way on this planet i am drilling the sills of the car

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
How are the standard skirts fitted then? I've had mine since new as were done by the dealer I ordered the car through. Do they drill the sills to fit these?

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
How are the standard skirts fitted then? I've had mine since new as were done by the dealer I ordered the car through. Do they drill the sills to fit these?
Standard skirts are glued on and use a screw at each end that go through existing holes in the arch liner.

I’m sure others who fitted the Maxton skirts have treated the holes to avoid rusting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kirky

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Standard skirts are glued on and use a screw at each end that go through existing holes in the arch liner.

I’m sure others who fitted the Maxton skirts have treated the holes to avoid rusting.
Thanks for clearing that up.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Once drilled the holes will start rusting

Photos from VW’s Service and Repair manual showing the official method of how the sill extensions are attached to the Golf. 12 threaded bolts are screwed along each sill, and one further bolt screwed into the underside of the sill.

So lots of holes to be drilled, and yes, IMO potential for corrosion. They do use corrosion resistant fixings though! :D

FC7595AE-9418-46AE-B970-65203BCA56DB.jpeg
0F703B31-4B40-4A06-B89C-186BC614F17C.png

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Could they not be tiger sealed on??
Not sure they could be attached with adhesive - see the picture of the reverse side of these sill extensions below. The only part of the reverse side that makes direct contact with the car’s sill are the edges of the sill extension, and the edges are very thin, so not a good wide contact surface area to apply sealant / adhesive to.

Also bear in mind that these sill extensions are attached to the part of the car’s sill that’s covered with stone chip protection. That part of the sill isn’t a smooth surface, so I doubt the small contact surface (edge) on the rear of the sill extension would adhere very well to the dimpled stone chip covering on the car’s sill.

Probably why VW decided these should be fixed to the car with a more permanent ‘bolt and slot’ solution.

3D32234E-7215-4F2F-BCC5-DC457E77A656.jpeg

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.