Good deal?

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
It's time my MY19 Cupra got some new boots! I've heard horror stories about the stock Continental tyres wearing out fast! I've now done 10k and the tyres seem to be okay!

I've had this new 290 for a year, checked the tread and the fronts are on 4mm on fronts and 6 on the rear.

Anyways, I've just ordered a couple of PS4s to see what all the hype is about!

I hope I got a good price!

fe402e48c2a931dd4d9a2f7607cad7be.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I think that is around the average price from what I've seen on here and facebook groups. They are meant to be the best tyre for the 19 inch alloys.

Reactions: Peller

Hobbiniho

Jan 17, 2009
shetland/ Aberdeen
i managed to wear out a set of the contis in 6.5k so you were doing well getting 10k out of them with 4mm still left, unfortunately for me my lease company have a strict exact replacement policy so no michelins for me, let us know how you get on with them

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
i managed to wear out a set of the contis in 6.5k so you were doing well getting 10k out of them with 4mm still left, unfortunately for me my lease company have a strict exact replacement policy so no michelins for me, let us know how you get on with them
I did my conti's in 4k haha but what I did was wait until they had about 2mm left then swapped them form ps4s, and when the lease deal ended just put the original contis back on

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Had the new tyres fitted earlier. The young fitter was a bit apprehensive as I asked him to confirm that there was no marks on the alloys before he started!

It was done quick enough but I noticed that one tyre was on the wrong way! The poor lad was horrified as he said he was paying too much attention at taking care of the wheels!

I think his workmates will be giving him a bit of a ribbing for it!

Anyways, done a long journey on them and there's is a difference compared to the stock Conti's. They're definitely quieter and grip without to much hop.

I'm just wondering if I should've put a set on the rears even though the stock tyres are above 6mm....

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'm just wondering if I should've put a set on the rears even though the stock tyres are above 6mm....

Put the stock tyres on the front, they'll wear out quicker. I find the rears always last at least double the fronts. Saves wasting them.

Reactions: Peller and Damo H

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I get what your thinking. I just thought that the PS4's on the front would improve the traction over the stock tyres. To be honest I don't think the Conti's are a bad tyre, especially compared to the downright dangerous Bridgestones fitted to my old 280!

I've put my Conti's in the garage as there is plenty of tread on them, using them as a back up incase of a puncture as we all know that 19 "tyres are not kind to the pocket!

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
Price wise, I paid approx. £130 a tyres fitted at costco but that was for a set of 4 so the discount at the time would still have been better. Plus you can't always choose when you need tyres vs when there are offers.
In terms of where to fit them, i have been told and agree that new pairs should go on the back of the car.
The reason is you want the most traction at the back so that if the car wants to let go in a corner the grip is dictated by the back of the car.
If you do it the other way, and the old tyres are losing the hold at the back the car is much more like to do a 180 - this has happened to me a long time back, but fortunately in clear circumstances so nothing happened and obviously learnt from that :)

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Legojon

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I get what your thinking. I just thought that the PS4's on the front would improve the traction over the stock tyres.

As above. I always put the brand new tyres on the back. Just keep rotating them to the front at each tyre change.

Reactions: Damo H

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I believe this is the advice of most tyre manufacturers and garages. Always fit new tyres to the rear of only replacing two tyres.
https://www.edentyres.com/should-i-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/
https://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/should-you-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/
I asked that question when I had my new tyres fitted but the garage said. You could... but why would you do that. Around 20,000 miles on the front set since they were changed now. And 43,000 on the rear set. Rears are Continental Sport contact 3 i think. The fronts are Dunlop of some sort. I chose them becasue of their sound rating.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I asked that question when I had my new tyres fitted but the garage said. You could... but why would you do that. Around 20,000 miles on the front set since they were changed now. And 43,000 on the rear set. Rears are Continental Sport contact 3 i think. The fronts are Dunlop of some sort. I chose them becasue of their sound rating.
My Saab 9-3 Aero had a tendency to lose its back end in the wet so I always put the new tyres on the rear. The habit has just stuck with me.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
My Saab 9-3 Aero had a tendency to lose its back end in the wet so I always put the new tyres on the rear. The habit has just stuck with me.
I've managed to throw the back end out on more than one ocaision in my Sport Coupe. In my mind, i would want the new tyres on the front to improve traction when cornering and accelerating etc. The back wheels dont need as much grip to stay on the road as there are less forces going through the tyres. However, under hard cornering, it is possible to put the back end out. But that, to me, is better than under steering.

Reactions: '& Son' managed

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I've managed to throw the back end out on more than one ocaision in my Sport Coupe. In my mind, i would want the new tyres on the front to improve traction when cornering and accelerating etc. The back wheels dont need as much grip to stay on the road as there are less forces going through the tyres. However, under hard cornering, it is possible to put the back end out. But that, to me, is better than under steering.
Not on a 9-3 it's not! Losing the back end on that thing was just plain scary.

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
Ultimate grip is at the back, regardless of the front. Therefore if you have great tyres at the front and rubbish at the back you are more likely for the car to step out.
This is more of an issue with tyres with stiff sidewalks. The car I did my 180 was a civic type r with sticky new tyres on the front and worn out old tyres on the back, so front drive similar to the leon more power unless it's a cupra (and no traction control/esc).

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
I would put the michelins on the front as that is where the grip is needed most on a powerful front wheel drive car and to eliminate wheel hop. The contis are still a good tyre so you dont need to worry about having them on the rear. If you do a lot of miles tho i would swap the contis to the front so as to get michelins on all 4 corners quicker.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I would put the michelins on the front as that is where the grip is needed most on a powerful front wheel drive car and to eliminate wheel hop. The contis are still a good tyre so you dont need to worry about having them on the rear. If you do a lot of miles tho i would swap the contis to the front so as to get michelins on all 4 corners quicker.
Yes but if you have less grip at the rear your more to likely oversteer and heading backwards into a hedge...

Last edited:
Reactions: Legojon and Kirky
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.