MK1 Cupra Strange Hesitation on Part Throttle

stayinlow

Aug 15, 2018
Ok, so I have a MK1 Cupra that I bought a few weeks ago. I got it on 69k with FSH. It had a tiny bit of hesitation after fitting an induction kit on part throttle, but since having it remapped to stage 1 it has definitely increased.
I was told that maybe the DV was failing etc, so just replaced with a 710p (it was a 710n}, but it has not made any difference.

The car potter's around in traffic slowly with no problems, and also goes fine at WOT in any gear. The problem arises either when holding part throttle to only accelerate slightly, or if you let of part throttle and put it back on. The car almost stutters, and it's as though the car wants to go more than you are letting it if that makes sense?

Anyway, hopefully someone can maybe shed some light on this, or point me towards getting it sorted.

Many thanks

stayinlow

Aug 15, 2018
Just to add as I forgot in the original post

VCDS is not showing any errors other than P0411 - Secondary Air Pump incorrect flow - intermittent.

Also no CEL on either

Is this likely to be the problem?

Last edited:

wilfster

Mar 6, 2010
This is common. My LCR is on 150k and does this particularly on a trailing throttle, especially if the engine is cold. I think it's turbo flutter, the ECU getting confused about how much boost you need at a particular throttle opening, so cutting the boost in and out. Does it happen around 2000rpm? Mine has done it for the last 20/30k - you get used to it. Have you had the boost checked?

stayinlow

Aug 15, 2018
My brother has my laptop until he's back tomorrow, so I'll check the boost then.
As for when it happens, it does happen around 2k, but also it can do it higher in the rev range. Basically runs great at low revs and full throttle, but anything in between is a bit strange

wilfster

Mar 6, 2010
Since my earlier post I've fitted a new turbo boost relief valve. There can still be a slight flutter around 2000rpm but it's much smoother than it was before.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Mine also does this every now and again, albeit the car is stock. When i lift off the throttle at around 2k the turbo kind of cuts out sharply rather than trailing off.

Im fitting a new DV in the new year, but any other ideas while we're here?

Cheers

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Mine also does this every now and again, albeit the car is stock. When i lift off the throttle at around 2k the turbo kind of cuts out sharply rather than trailing off.

Im fitting a new DV in the new year, but any other ideas while we're here?

Cheers
I had the turbo issue your on about, only knew because of the boost gauge id drop a gear then needle would go flat. Did the n249 delete and seemed to solve it

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
I had the turbo issue your on about, only knew because of the boost gauge id drop a gear then needle would go flat. Did the n249 delete and seemed to solve it

I met a chap down my street who has the BAM engine in his Audi and he offered to do the N249 delete for me, wasnt planning on doing that mod but seems like its hard to lose out with it so might give it a punt in the new year!

Reactions: bigT's lcr
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.