Headlight condensation is this normal?

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
IMG_20191015_163138.jpg IMG_20191015_163144.jpg

Hi,
Got lots of condensation in my headlights (led ones) mainly in the drivers side but a little in the passenger side according to the dealer I've spoke to this is normal, so does anyone else have this normal amount of condensation in their headlights.
Thanks.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I think at some point many years back Seat changed the manual to basically say condensation in the headlights is normal. Says something like using the headlights during normal use will dry them out.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
The LED's generate very little heat, unlike the 'old' halogen bulbs, therefore never really drying the headlight units out. You've got to hope for a sunny warm day to dry them out! I've only had condensation in the lights after washing the car.

Reactions: RUM4MO

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Mine had condensation in both when the car arrived new. I waited until a warm day then parked it facing the sun and removed the twist caps at the rear of each, letting them dry out all day before replacing the caps securely. I haven't noticed any condensation problem since.

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
See a lot of different makes and models with a bit of condensation in headlights, not just a Seat thing.
Back in 2002 I bought my first brand new mk1 leon and after driving it home on the motorway in heavy rain both headlights had condensation in them but one was a lot worse than the other.
Rang the dealer, said it’ll dry out on its own.
It got worse then the frost arrived and the inside of the headlight actually froze. Still Seat refused to change it even though the car was only 3 weeks old. Fortunately the dealer agreed with me that Seat were in the wrong and they swapped one off a demo in the showroom and were ordering a new one for that. They even fobbed me off with “it’s cause the cars are built in a hot climate so when it gets cold here it will cause condensation.”:fool:
Seems that customer care has never been a strong point but some dealers are okay.

Reactions: RUM4MO and Legojon

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
It isn't possible to make a completely sealed unit, even if there are no serviceable parts inside, but there should be a filter and desiccant over the vent - which I think the earlier models skipped hence why so much dust and moisture in the pre-facelift headlights.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It isn't possible to make a completely sealed unit, even if there are no serviceable parts inside, but there should be a filter and desiccant over the vent - which I think the earlier models skipped hence why so much dust and moisture in the pre-facelift headlights.

Yes I've noticed that the parts lists now show a filter over the end of the vent pipes, I might consider buying a few of these for my S4 and wife's Polo, dust is certainly a big issue with some car models.

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
IMG_20191028_112139.jpg

This was taken yesterday after it had been in the sun for a while.
I'll ring round a few other dealers to try and find a sympathetic one.

Mine had condensation in both when the car arrived new. I waited until a warm day then parked it facing the sun and removed the twist caps at the rear of each, letting them dry out all day before replacing the caps securely. I haven't noticed any condensation problem since.

Did you have led lights or are they bulbs?

I've tried driving with lights on but as said LED lights don't create as much heat as bulbs.
Thanks.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Did you have led lights or are they bulbs?

I've tried driving with lights on but as said LED lights don't create as much heat as bulbs.
Thanks.

LED, but the facelift version. The units aren't sealed and the rear cap just twists off.

salsajoe

Apr 12, 2017
Yorkshire
I dried mine out by removing the rear caps and directing a hair drier on low into the headlight. Worked nicely!!

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
Yes it's pretty normal. At least a little like you have. I've seen the same on tons of different cars. I think it's only an issue if it turns into a small pool/lake I'd guess.
I assume the cause is the units aren't designed to be fully sealed, so will allow a small amount of condensation to get in either naturally or as a result of washing the car.
Personally I'd only see it as an issue if the lights packed in.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Pretty normal, mine does it (Pre facelift LED's) there is a vent in the headlamp body, however the LED's don't produce any forward radiating heat to clear it, like a normal halogen headlamp would.

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Happens to my car too, left the square cap dangling off at the back for a while but didn't help, might give it another go tomorrow

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Condensation in Seat headlight (and Leon taillight) is their speciality. I had it on my Leon LEDs pre-FL Mk3, and even on my Ibiza, but these had Bi-xenons, so these do generate heat...Ibizas did not have condensation in rears. Now have another LED headlight car, but never had any condensation in the headlight or taillights!

Richard-leon184

Leon 190 FR DSG
Nov 17, 2016
caterham
View attachment 10897 View attachment 10898

Hi,
Got lots of condensation in my headlights (led ones) mainly in the drivers side but a little in the passenger side according to the dealer I've spoke to this is normal, so does anyone else have this normal amount of condensation in their headlights.
Thanks.

unfortunately it Is! i just swapped my 2014 184 fr for a 2019 190 dsg fr , the old car suffered from it and so does my 7month old car !!
it does go away after a few hours! i had no issues with the led lights on my 5 year old car , so can only assume it just happens , i Have never bothered to mention it to the dealer. My 2014 car suffered a cracked rear light cluster after about 4 years and let in water , seems it was a design fault . Eventually replaced it for a new one £100.

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
My 2014 car suffered a cracked rear light cluster after about 4 years and let in water , seems it was a design fault . Eventually replaced it for a new one £100.

Over tightening when new :banghead2

My 63 plate has it, but nothing I can do. It still works so hopefully it carries on behaving

IbizaNI

Mar 23, 2015
Newtownards, Northern Ireland
unfortunately it Is! i just swapped my 2014 184 fr for a 2019 190 dsg fr , the old car suffered from it and so does my 7month old car !!
it does go away after a few hours! i had no issues with the led lights on my 5 year old car , so can only assume it just happens , i Have never bothered to mention it to the dealer. My 2014 car suffered a cracked rear light cluster after about 4 years and let in water , seems it was a design fault . Eventually replaced it for a new one £100.
Over tightening when new :banghead2

My 63 plate has it, but nothing I can do. It still works so hopefully it carries on behaving

My 2015 rear right taillight has a crack on it on the far right side and on heavy rainy days and after washing it's pure wet in it but it hasn't failed yet surprisingly.

I mentioned it to 2 different dealers, one of them twice, took pics and all and they sent them off to Seat to see if they would replace it but all 3 occasions Seat said no so I'm just living with it until it fails, £100 doesn't sound too bad though if I absolutely have to replace it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.