Conundrum on model

Fuelwatcher

Aug 21, 2003
Horsham, West Sussex
Visit site
I have 3 choices and every time I read something else I change my mind.

Tsi 1.8 FR 2016 (16) DSG - 12k - £12000
Tsi 1.8 FR 2017 (67) Manual - 9k - £12700
2.0 TDi FR 2016 (16) DSG - 38k - £11990

I will be doing up to 8k a year but most probably less and my work commute is around 10 miles, semi regular round trips of 50 miles.

The temptation of diesel was fuel economy of over 50mpg and still bags of pace and course DSG. The temptation of the manual petrol is the deal is very very good.

So is the TSI that fuel hungry (have heard 30odd mpg). Is DSG really worth it and that good. I have DSG in one car and whilst I like it I am not blown away by it.

Any help appreciated

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
I’d say your commute and mileage should rule out the diesel. What about a 1.4TSI (150)? It’s a cracking engine and you’ll get an 18 plate FR for under £13k and 45-50MPG on a run.

Edit: oh and personally, I think the DSG is brilliant.

Reactions: Rooster

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
A diesel would be more suitable if doing lots of mileage, 8k a year isn't going to reap you any real world benefits in terms of fuel consumption, plus short trips i.e 10 miles could end up causing DPF issues.

I have a 1.4 Leon, with shorter regular trips (4 - 7 miles) and I average around 38mpg from full tank to full tank, the 1,8 won't be much lower. This also depends on your driving style

Manual vs DSG the age old debate. Depends which you prefer. All I will say is that although they rarely go wrong, if they do DSG boxs cost alot to repair.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I'd probably go

Tsi 1.8 FR 2016 (16) DSG - 12k - £12000

then take the Seat extended warranty for peace of mind. Well worth the money. I have a manual 1.4tsi and around 46mpg long term.

8k miles is low so def not enough to justify a diesel.

Reactions: Kirky

Fuelwatcher

Aug 21, 2003
Horsham, West Sussex
Visit site
I kinda figured the diesel was out due to mileage. I have an Octavia vrs dsg which I love....however the deal on that 67reg 1.8 tsi manual is so very good. The 12k deal on the dsg seems a little high and they were in no mood to negotiate. Its whether iw would regret getting a manual. the thing 2jth dsg is the oil change required and as pointed out when they go wrong....they go wrong!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
I felt the 1.4 was too slow for me. I like a bit of oomph and fun but feel seats figures are way ott for fuel economy. that's why the diesel was so tempting.

I’ve got a 184 TDI DSG and do a similar mileage but I just love the power it gives and wouldn’t have anything but a DSg as better than a manual 90% of the time.

Economy is ok and as long as you take it for runs at the weekend the DPF thing should be ok as I’ve only seen the light twice in 2 years and a simple blast out clears it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuelwatcher

Aug 21, 2003
Horsham, West Sussex
Visit site
so hard....and everyone had their opinions. The best deal by a mile is the manual 1.8 tsi and is the newest and so a few new things in it arsenal butni do love the dsg. as for diesel will i really benefit I do not know but the power and fuel consumption is tempting.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
so hard....and everyone had their opinions. The best deal by a mile is the manual 1.8 tsi and is the newest and so a few new things in it arsenal butni do love the dsg. as for diesel will i really benefit I do not know but the power and fuel consumption is tempting.

I’ve got the VAG 1.8 EA888 engine in my manual 6 speed Polo GTI (slightly higher power output in the Polo GTI than the 1.8 powerplant in the Leon). IMO it’s a great engine with good performance and my long term fuel consumption is 42 - 42.5 mpg (I’m not a boy racer!).

In your position, I’d go for 1.8 tsi petrol with DSG and get a good warranty (Seat’s own extended warranty?) when any warranty that comes with the car expires

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
I t

I think you’re overestimating the power differences in these cars. For example the 1.8 petrol is only .5 of a second quicker to 60 than the 1.4 and I think (but stand to be corrected) the diesel is the same as the 1.4 at 8 seconds. Real world driving, there probably isn’t much difference between them.

I think you need to drive each and see which you prefer bud.

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
Previously had an st fr tdi 184 (as well as a hatchback version before that) and personally I'd go for the 1.8. The 184 is great but you aren't doing the mileage, I do a similar distance to work but was doing larger distances between sites.
My reason for the suggestion is that if you are used to that level of power you'll miss it, plus the both higher models benefit from multi-link rear suspension which isn't on the lower models. I'm sure those with 1.4's will suggest this isn't worth it but I'd disagree.
One thing I will say is that I think those prices are somewhat inflated as I sold my 24,000 mile car on 16 plate for about £10,500 (car was immaculate with full leather interior, convenience pack, etc.).
If you aren't looking to buy outright I'd look at bank loan costs to see if buying elsewhere is worth it - e.g. a private seller who may be quite a lot more reasonable to move on price - admittedly there are those that think that because they are selling the same car from their home it's worth the same as a dealer even without their overheads.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
I averaged almost 45 mpg over 2 years in my manual 1.8 FR (64 plate) doing about 9k a year, was with a 12 mile each way daily commute plus a fair few longer journeys.

check the tech, the 17 plate car may have upgraded infotainment.

the 1.8 has better suspension and brakes than the 1.4. I found with 1.4 loan cars that you had to work them hard to get the power whereas the 1.8 was just much more relaxed with a much broader power band.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
The 2.0 TDI is a gem IMO. A bit boring to drive perhaps because it's a diesel but plenty of power available through most of its (limited) rev range and very cheap to run.

Fuelwatcher

Aug 21, 2003
Horsham, West Sussex
Visit site
@womble68 those prices may seem inflated to you but they are some of the best deals around. I have tried hard to negotiate with 2 or 3 and little if no movement despite walking away. 1.8tsi is tempting but the dsg version is hard to find full stop. plenty of good deals on manuals. 1.4s are two a penny and to say there is little difference in power...I beg to differ and the car or you have to work that much harder to squeeze it out. The diesel I drove today with DSG was very nice.

Reactions: Hag
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.