Creaking noise

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
Hi guys, my14 Fr 184 keep getting a creaking noise when I go over speed humps, it’s not noticeable over bumpy roads, but very loud over humps. Any ideas what it could be?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I don't know what it is but it's a common issue. My car does it. I put it into the dealer a couple of times while it was under warranty but they said they couldn't find anything, surprize surprize. Personally, I think it's the plastic covers on the rear dampers but that's a guess.

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
I don't know what it is but it's a common issue. My car does it. I put it into the dealer a couple of times while it was under warranty but they said they couldn't find anything, surprize surprize. Personally, I think it's the plastic covers on the rear dampers but that's a guess.

If it is the plastic covers, can these be removed to remedy the situation?

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
I believe most cars now do this, it's usually the wishbone/control arm bushes, as long as it's only a minor creak every now and then, nothing to worry about.... if it turns in to a knocking noise, then something needs to be done.

Obviously I havnt heard it, but this seems to me the most likely cause

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
I believe most cars now do this, it's usually the wishbone/control arm bushes, as long as it's only a minor creak every now and then, nothing to worry about.... if it turns in to a knocking noise, then something needs to be done.

Obviously I havnt heard it, but this seems to me the most likely cause

It’s definitely not a knocking noise, and it’s only noticeable on certain humps, damn annoying as my mark 2 fr was very quiet, no creaks/knocks etc

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
My lasy cupra and my one now creaks over bumps and even off my drive ( off camber 35' slope ) every now and then, i wouldn't worry about it mate. New cars are not built like they were 10/15/20 years ago.

Everything now that isn't serious is a " model characteristic " and that's coming from someone in the trade

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

I would not as they are dust/stone covers for the piston rods of the dampers, same thing with 6C Polo and probably similar aged Ibizas etc, not a brilliant design as they just press fit/clip onto the bump stops so invariably never sit parallel to the damper so can touch at any time.

Stevie1

Jul 21, 2019
Hi guys, my14 Fr 184 keep getting a creaking noise when I go over speed humps, it’s not noticeable over bumpy roads, but very loud over humps. Any ideas what it could be?
Thanks

What area of the car are the creaks coming from? I have a 16 plate FR SC and the whole car felt like it was creaking when reversing up my driveway. Found it to be the rubber seals on each door. Cleaned the rubbers using Autoglym vinyl and rubber care a few weeks ago and problem solved so far

Tigerobe

Feb 20, 2017
What area of the car are the creaks coming from? I have a 16 plate FR SC and the whole car felt like it was creaking when reversing up my driveway. Found it to be the rubber seals on each door. Cleaned the rubbers using Autoglym vinyl and rubber care a few weeks ago and problem solved so far

It’s from the back, and it seems like it’s coming from the suspension

Stevie1

Jul 21, 2019
It’s from the back, and it seems like it’s coming from the suspension

Doesn’t sound like the same noise then, good luck finding the source, creaks drive me crazy!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015

Not that I know of. I've not found it to be a big enough issue to push me into doing something about it. Creek only happens over speed bumps so not like you're listening to it all the time. Might feel differently if I lived in speed-bump city!

veno

It is the front lower control arm bushings. They changed mine last year, now started to creak again on bumps, talked with the garage and they offered to grease them, but they said it is not always a fix. They said bushings are fine, just creaking in the cold mornings... I found when it is wet or warm weather there is no creak... I hoped Seat will push new part with better material quality... this is what I read on the Volkswagen forums, which is common problem on the mk8 golfs too...

jf_cole

Jan 28, 2020
Did you ever resolve this? Mine creaks like mad over ramps and it only has 17k miles from new. Sounds like ARB bushes - might try grease them when the weather gets better.

Mikertroid

May 31, 2019
I had creaking audible at low speeds from the rear. Turned out to be the rear seat back latch hook. Just put a thin layer of tape over it and its stopped. Not what you'd expect in a new car, but I think its par for the course for one of these.