Length of commute - engine issues?

Chlub Hibernian

Mar 7, 2017
I went my route to this morning to work as a test run, the oil barely got to 60. As stated by others, the coolant reached full running temp.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Letting it warm up before isn't going to do a grave amount for these either, unless you're leaving it to do so for 20 minutes which would be silly, a waste of fuel and an increase in risk of it being nicked while doing so :think:

And you’ll probably find most if not all car insurance policies exclude theft of the car if it’s left unattended with the keys in the car. Assume that if the OP’s car has keyless start, leaving it unattended with the engine running would also not be covered by most / all insurers

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Oil temp is not as critical to cold start wear. Modern low viscosity oils flow much better when cold now, and they cling better to bearing surfaces, a short warm up will ensure all surfaces lubricated.
Of course its common sense that you don't thrash the thing. Engine manufacturers design the things to be driven normally from stone cold and still have a normal service life. All the OP has to do is give the car a good run once in a while to burn off fuel dilution and other contaminants.

Reactions: Chlub Hibernian

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Horrible situation to end up in, Cupra for the weekend, a well used secondhand small electric car for through the week, as long as you get it plugged in over night - or even get your work place to go green and do all your charging there - maybe a bit early for buying a small well used electric car yet!

The other issue with walking to work and leaving the car there Monday evening to Friday afternoon, is the weather in many parts of the UK is complete shyt in late summer, until late spring - so that is a lot of days of arriving at work soaked or at least with soaked outer clothing and same when getting back home, using public transport anywhere outside of London is not always an easy option, UK is not a progressive country no big plans exist to improve infrastructure using public funds - just push/allow work places to exist away from current transport links or force house prices up and keep work places in city centres - then get annoyed/confused when people need to use their cars.

Reactions: Lozzy15

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
a waste of fuel and an increase in risk of it being nicked while doing so :think:

Had a friend who just left the engine running outside the house (was a Clio though) just to get their little one, to bring into the car (3-4 mins) and their car was stolen with keys inside. They even had house CCTV but still cannot find the person!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Had a friend who just left the engine running outside the house (was a Clio though) just to get their little one, to bring into the car (3-4 mins) and their car was stolen with keys inside. They even had house CCTV but still cannot find the person!

Did they do that same routine every morning?

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Horrible situation to end up in, Cupra for the weekend, a well used secondhand small electric car for through the week, as long as you get it plugged in over night - or even get your work place to go green and do all your charging there - maybe a bit early for buying a small well used electric car yet!

The other issue with walking to work and leaving the car there Monday evening to Friday afternoon, is the weather in many parts of the UK is complete shyt in late summer, until late spring - so that is a lot of days of arriving at work soaked or at least with soaked outer clothing and same when getting back home, using public transport anywhere outside of London is not always an easy option, UK is not a progressive country no big plans exist to improve infrastructure using public funds - just push/allow work places to exist away from current transport links or force house prices up and keep work places in city centres - then get annoyed/confused when people need to use their cars.

As long as it's not a Leaf needing a new $33,000 battery. Actually that story was a rip off, the batteries are only $10,000 plus fitting in OZ now.

The UK is not the only place with crumbling infrastructure. We're heading for 4th world status.
But at least you have proper intercity motorways.

Last edited:

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
I am in the process of buying a pedal bike for commuting to work to save mileage, petrol and wear on my cupra. my commute is around 10 minute drive although most days I drive 40 mins to a different town to see my misses. good for health, your wallet and the car! obviously I won't be cycling the 40 min commute lol

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I can thoroughly recommend E bikes. 25 - 35 km/h is literally no sweat. Along with mowers, they are the only sensible use for electric motors.

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
As long as it's not a Leaf needing a new $33,000 battery. Actually that story was a rip off, the batteries are only $10,000 plus fitting in OZ now.

The UK is not the only place with crumbling infrastructure. We're heading for 4th world status.
But at least you have proper intercity motorways.
We may have proper Intercity motorways but you should see the state of the roads where I live, they may as well have just left the bloody things cobbled there's that many bumps and holes in them

Reactions: LouG

andycupra

status subject to change
As most others I wouldn't even consider driving 1mile.
That will take you 10mins to walk.

I work 6 miles away from home and cycle 90% of the time and most days I triple the distance to make it a decent length ride

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10 mins? that's at a good jogging pace...

15 mins is a fast walk.
more like 20 mins.

however i completely agree, for 1 mile i'd not look to drive, i'd walk, cycle etc..
if i 'had' to have a car at work, i'd be asking why i am not paid more, get subsidised finance, or have a company car.. or ask if being able to get a car within say 20 mins if on the off chances its required is acceptable?

Chlub Hibernian

Mar 7, 2017
10 mins? that's at a good jogging pace...

15 mins is a fast walk.
more like 20 mins.

however i completely agree, for 1 mile i'd not look to drive, i'd walk, cycle etc..
if i 'had' to have a car at work, i'd be asking why i am not paid more, get subsidised finance, or have a company car.. or ask if being able to get a car within say 20 mins if on the off chances its required is acceptable?

Sadly, the car needs to be there. I've very greatfully taken the advice here and I'm letting the engine heat up a bit etc.