Exhaust sounds, pops, bangs etc

mitchybenny

Oct 19, 2019
Hi guys,

After being on the forum for a month or 2, seen a few examples of cars similar to mine (I’ve got a 66 plate Cupra 290 estate) and the noises that other people’s cars make are a fair bit different to mine.

I’ve seen a fair few vids and clips of nice sounding revving, aggressive sounding pops, bangs and dsg farts (thinks that’s the term). Mine doesn’t really seem to do much if any at all of any of it? Just wondering if anyone had an idea as to maybe why? Feel like I’m missing part of the personality of the car haha.

Cheers guys

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Manual or DSG? If it’s a manual the engine needs to be in cupra mode, it it’s DSG then needs to be in sport mode on the DSG panel I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitchybenny

Oct 19, 2019
My bad. Forgot to say it’s DSG. I’ve tried it all. Even in Cupra mode (dsg in sport) I still get not a lot compared to other examples :(

Stephenator280

Nov 5, 2017
I suspect most of the ST’s with louder sounding exhausts (which have not be outright replaced) have had at least a res-delete done. As for myself (I have a dsg 280st) pops and bangs were not noticeable and dsg farts were so quiet as not to notice.

After my res delete it was much better. There are a number of threads on this, the one below I was party to at the time I had it done

Cupra 300 Resonator Delete
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...p?posts/4802688/&share_type=t&link_source=app

I also had an issue with a blockage on one of my exhausts, due to a collapsed baffle, so further down the tread I had that removed and the exhaust improved as a result

Last edited:

boggle

Dec 28, 2012
KENT
99 octane helps with the pops and bangs. With the dsg box try upshifting early with hard acceleration, ideally needs to be in cupra/sport

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
I've got a 1.4 with res and backbox delete.
Pops like a gun if I rev it stationary, and on deceleration it gives off a lot of little pops which are easily audible in the car and close by. Can also make it pop if I leave the throttle slightly on during gear change.
https://streamable.com/59l2z

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
I'll pop and bang at every opportunity I can, puts a huge smile on my face while just driving about normally!

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
IT really irritates me when my brother deliberately changes down gears to make his M140i pop. It sounds really awful and it is seriously embarassing when you are the passenger.

I dont mind the pops and bangs if they arent forced. Its when we are doing 30 in a 30 zone and he changes down to second or first. :repuke:

Stephenator280

Nov 5, 2017
IT really irritates me when my brother deliberately changes down gears to make his M140i pop. It sounds really awful and it is seriously embarassing when you are the passenger.

I dont mind the pops and bangs if they arent forced. Its when we are doing 30 in a 30 zone and he changes down to second or first. :repuke:

I bet his car sounds good though(pop or not) the B58 is a lovely engine

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Pops and bangs and DSG farts on a country road in the daytime, accelerating on a highway, or tunnel hell yea! (even if I'm just the observer). Doing the same at residentail streets, at night when it's quiet time, hell no!

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
What's the point in pops and bangs? Why do people wish their car to do this? I understand wanting the car to sound nice when idling/revving but i've never understood the pops and bangs aspect? Genuine question by the way.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
What's the point in pops and bangs? Why do people wish their car to do this? I understand wanting the car to sound nice when idling/revving but i've never understood the pops and bangs aspect? Genuine question by the way.
Race cars probably. Since most race cars exhausts are straight pipes, they pop and bang anyway due to excess fuel ending up in the exhaust when letting off on acceleration. Natural progression is for people to want their cars to be more like race cars.

Same reason people put skirts and aero kits on their cars, and those weird black blankets on the bonnet (never understood this one)

I've driven an Aventador (6.5 L, V12) before and during deceleration and changing down gears it had a lovely throaty burble, but i don't recall any pops. Thats all I would want, but unlikely to get that with a 2-litre, 4-cylinder engine.

Edit: i think what made the whole pop and bang thing more priminent might have been that top gear episode where they spoke about the Jag F-type and the artificial pops and bangs. Or at least that was the first time pops and bangs in road cars was drawn to my attention. I never noticed it or saw any cars doing it before that.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Race cars probably. Since most race cars exhausts are straight pipes, they pop and bang anyway due to excess fuel ending up in the exhaust when letting off on acceleration. Natural progression is for people to want their cars to be more like race cars.

Same reason people put skirts and aero kits on their cars, and those weird black blankets on the bonnet (never understood this one)

I've driven an Aventador (6.5 L, V12) before and during deceleration and changing down gears it had a lovely throaty burble, but i don't recall any pops. Thats all I would want, but unlikely to get that with a 2-litre, 4-cylinder engine.

Edit: i think what made the whole pop and bang thing more priminent might have been that top gear episode where they spoke about the Jag F-type and the artificial pops and bangs. Or at least that was the first time pops and bangs in road cars was drawn to my attention. I never noticed it or saw any cars doing it before that.

To each their own i guess.
What i take from your explanation is that people generally associate pops and bangs with a car being powerful and fast, so therefor want their car to be the same. Which i can reason with but still think it's a bit pointless haha.

Like you said i would rather just a bit of a rumble and a bit of noise when at speed.
Enjoy it while it lasts i guess... Before everything is electric!!:whistle:

Reactions: The Daily Meme
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.