On the prowl for a Leon Mk3

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Given all the info everyone has given in the thread , it comes down to personal choice. If you're really stuck between which one to go for and can't decide, I'd make a pro/con list for each and see which one tops out to help make your mind up. That's probably what I'd do.

Reactions: Sword

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I'm buying a 1.4 act FR. Drove it for about an hour and a half yesterday. We've had a 1.6TDi Leon for years and I've had a Golf with the independent rear end.

I wanted the 1.8 but there are not many around which makes finding a really good one hard. In the end I settled for the 1.4 because everything I read suggested the 1.8 is not that much faster but drinks more fuel and doesn't hold its value as well. I don't care about the last two, if I'd seen a clean 1.8 in the sort of spec I wanted I would've bought it, but I'm not waiting for for months to buy a car.

There is a difference in the suspension. The independent is more 'alive' feeling. It's more supple and responsive which lets you play with the balance of the car more. If you push hard, you will appreciate the difference. The beam axle grips well and feels tight but hit broken tarmac mid bend and it's out of its depth. It's not terrible but no way the beam is as composed or controlled as the independent set up.

Reactions: Jazzjames

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
I'm buying a 1.4 act FR. Drove it for about an hour and a half yesterday. We've had a 1.6TDi Leon for years and I've had a Golf with the independent rear end.

I wanted the 1.8 but there are not many around which makes finding a really good one hard. In the end I settled for the 1.4 because everything I read suggested the 1.8 is not that much faster but drinks more fuel and doesn't hold its value as well. I don't care about the last two, if I'd seen a clean 1.8 in the sort of spec I wanted I would've bought it, but I'm not waiting for for months to buy a car.

There is a difference in the suspension. The independent is more 'alive' feeling. It's more supple and responsive which lets you play with the balance of the car more. If you push hard, you will appreciate the difference. The beam axle grips well and feels tight but hit broken tarmac mid bend and it's out of its depth. It's not terrible but no way the beam is as composed or controlled as the independent set up.

Enjoy your car!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.