Nov 13, 2019
Hi all,

So, I've recently bought my 2014 Leon 1.8 and I'm really loving it (previously had a 1.2 Ibiza copa so pretty big change for me).

I've been looking around online for opinions on remaps or engine chips but wanted to get an up-to-date take on them. I've looked at stage 1 maps with Celtic Tuning, Dynomap, Revo etc. and they offer boosts from 180bhp to 220bhp (ish) and 184lb/ft to 225lb/ft... I'm ready to buy into one of them however my only issue here is with my insurance.

I've contacted Admiral and they've quoted me £100 odd to update my policy for the modification... but that's for 'Engine chip - +25% BHP'. After checking the list about 8 times I couldn't see anything to do with a remap at all so that leaves me wondering if I'll be okay going Stage 1 or if I should go for something like a JB4/DTuk/Bluefin/Race-chip? They also look a bit more appealing because my car has a 1 year warranty so i'm thinking it'd be easier to just remove the chip if it did have to be taken in for anything? or should the map not really matter if I was to get them to set it back to stock before taking it in?

I'm new to this kind of thing so any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Bluefin is a remap.

one that you apply yourself via the controller.

it can be seen on the ecu even after returning to stock

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Remaps will always be better than a “tuning box” tuning box’s just trick the ecu.

Nov 13, 2019
I'd go for the remap but admiral saying 'Engine Chip' rather than remap/map is putting me off - don't want to get done over by insurers if anything was to happen down the line

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I'd go for the remap but admiral saying 'Engine Chip' rather than remap/map is putting me off - don't want to get done over by insurers if anything was to happen down the line
Chip / remap will be the same thing in their eyes. All they will ask is % bhp increase

Stephenator280

Nov 5, 2017

When I got my remap done, my insurers, esure, only seemed to have one category for tuning/remap/chipping which they called ‘chipping’. I clarified with the guy on the phone that what I had done fell into the correct bracket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 13, 2019
When I got my remap done, my insurers, esure, only seemed to have one category for tuning/remap/chipping which they called ‘chipping’. I clarified with the guy on the phone that what I had done fell into the correct bracket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brilliant, it's probably going in for stage 1 in December then - quite excited to see the improvement now

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.