DSG gear knob removal

Nov 19, 2019
Evening all, id really like to replace the standard DSG shift knob in my FR as I think the standard one really lets the interior down however I have been struggling to find a guide for our model. I see there are a few floating around for the golf but I'm unsure if its the same. I ve tried the search function but cant seem to find what I'm after.

Has anyone replaced there's? how did you get it off and what did you replace it with?

TIA

Reactions: ghostbustertab

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Evening all, id really like to replace the standard DSG shift knob in my FR as I think the standard one really lets the interior down however I have been struggling to find a guide for our model. I see there are a few floating around for the golf but I'm unsure if its the same. I ve tried the search function but cant seem to find what I'm after.

Has anyone replaced there's? how did you get it off and what did you replace it with?

TIA
So long as you don't want to change the collar and button, you can change the sides and top piece with a trim removal tool.

On my carbon, the gear knob was a mish mash of black, leather and chrome. So changed it to chrome and Carbon Fibre. I'd of preferred Black and Carbon, but as the collar and button where chrome, i changed the black trim to chrome...

This is the picture before I also swapped the Black central trim to a chrome one:

index.php
index.php

Nov 19, 2019
So long as you don't want to change the collar and button, you can change the sides and top piece with a trim removal tool.

On my carbon, the gear knob was a mish mash of black, leather and chrome. So changed it to chrome and Carbon Fibre. I'd of preferred Black and Carbon, but as the collar and button where chrome, i changed the black trim to chrome...

This is the picture before I also swapped the Black central trim to a chrome one:

index.php
index.php

Hey Damo, This is exactly what I'm after. Did you get the parts from the bay? I have tried prising the sides off in the past out of curiosity but they seem rock solid.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hey Damo, This is exactly what I'm after. Did you get the parts from the bay? I have tried prising the sides off in the past out of curiosity but they seem rock solid.
I got them from AliExpress.

There is a video on you tube on how to do it. So long as you price it from the right areas you should be okay. Defo from the top first. Once you have the leather sides off, you can see how to remove the top section.

I'll see if I can find the video.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Here you go. I've put the URL so you don;t have to watch the rubbish at the start, jut the rubbish in the middle lol

I wouldn't recommend doing it with a spoon while trying to make a video for YouTube lol

Reactions: Mohamed emarah
Nov 19, 2019
I got them from AliExpress.

There is a video on you tube on how to do it. So long as you price it from the right areas you should be okay. Defo from the top first. Once you have the leather sides off, you can see how to remove the top section.

I'll see if I can find the video.

Awesome cheers Damo, Parts have been ordered. :thumbup:

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
What about this on eBay? I’ve got the Silver centre trim with the DSG lettering as shown at the top of this pic
77b41869f87b43b2379cd460d8061e63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
Or this just for the centre part
a28515ff1ce3989a5e686b19dfa47716.jpg

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
What about this on eBay? I’ve got the Silver centre trim with the DSG lettering as shown at the top of this pic
77b41869f87b43b2379cd460d8061e63.jpg

Yeah I have that DSG bit now.

I’ll take another photo as realised it’s missing from my build thread.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
That silver centre trim makes such a difference doesn’t it

I don’t understand why they mixed it all up.

My old 280 was all black, the facelifts where all chrome. But my carbon had a chrome collar, chrome button and black strip.

I’d rather the chrome was black, but it fits with the interior.

Reactions: Hag

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
Mines an FR pre facelift and it was all just matte black/ grey plastic and looked really cheap compared to a VW or even Skoda trims

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I've got the bog standard OEM gloss black and plastic one which I quite like but I'm sure it'll look awful once it scratches. I'd prefer better plastic on the sides but like the gloss black part.

What's the FR one look like?

Jul 7, 2020
I'm very late to this, bit for anyone searching in future - I ordered a DSG knob from eBay advertised as for

"Passat CC , Jetta, Golf 6 /GTI MK6".

It was compatible. The insides looked a bit plasticky, so I ditched those, prised off the sides and centre piece (with a guitar pick) and put them on my mk3 Leon. Replaced my old knob which looked like it had been chewed by a dog.

Reactions: The-Cupra