pre face or facelift?

Mrs Ibiza 130

Jul 9, 2010
south wales border
looking tobuy a Mk3 FR tdi with anything from 20,000 to 45,000 on clock, 2016 pre face go for around 7k-8k where a 17 plate go for 11k. Is it worth hanging out for a 17 plate, how much better is the computer,satnav media and so on? do u also get the door lightings above door handles in a preface lift? plus there style is a bit different as in bumper and lights, They retro fit? So other than electric handbrake all the changes retro fitable?
not sure if I want 5 door hatch or st yet.

Any help greatful

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
So the difference on the infotainment is it's a 6.5" screen on the pre facelift with proximity sensor vs an 8" without on the facelift. Also the pre has more buttons to do the same that is done in software on the facelift. Last they decided to remove the 2nd dial on the facelift which was used for zooming in or out - instead you need to pinch to zoom like on a phone.
The software on the older units can be updated to match and as I understand you can retrofit the screen onto prefacelift cars.
In terms of the interior lights, on the pre facelift it's just the option of white or red accents. Facelift, you can choose pretty much any colour.
Front and rear lights are a different design on the facelift and are all led whereas the older design has normal bulbs for the indicators. The facelift lights are much brighter and a more coherent design. Also the fogs are also leds.
Also the facelift cars all tend to include front assist that detects if you are getting too close to the car in front and either warns or sets the brakes up to improve your chances of not hitting them.
Cant think there is too much other differences.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
Hatchback vs st. I've had both if you need the space the st is brilliant and it makes little difference to how it performs as the extra length is behind the rear wheel, meaning they drive pretty much identically.
If you have dogs also the rear lip is much lower so easier for them to hop in or out. Also you can set the base to make a flat floor which is very handy.
One last thing in terms of the different tdi models, only the 2.0 tdi 184 gets independent rear suspension which gives a better ride, but if this doesn't bother you too much and you dont think you need the power then you can obviously save some money.

devexwarrior

Nov 4, 2019
I had a post-facelift model as a hire car while my insurance paid up so I could buy a 2016 FR Sport Tourer. in addition to what is said above, the post facelift has an electronic handbrake, auto-dimming drivers mirror and an auto setting for the headlights. Slight differences in cockpit layout - the newer one has two usb sockets and a slightly bigger slot in front of the rear lever but that's all I can think of.

I actually prefer the older info screen - the side buttons make it quicker to select what I want.

Reactions: The Daily Meme

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
You won't be able to retro fit anything from a later model into an earlier one, it's just too complex an integrated system - so don't plan on being able to do doing that.

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
I had a post-facelift model as a hire car while my insurance paid up so I could buy a 2016 FR Sport Tourer. in addition to what is said above, the post facelift has an electronic handbrake, auto-dimming drivers mirror and an auto setting for the headlights. Slight differences in cockpit layout - the newer one has two usb sockets and a slightly bigger slot in front of the rear lever but that's all I can think of.

I actually prefer the older info screen - the side buttons make it quicker to select what I want.
Not all facelifts have the auto dimming mirror and auto lights. My 2018 FR ST does not.

Reactions: devexwarrior

devexwarrior

Nov 4, 2019
Not all facelifts have the auto dimming mirror and auto lights. My 2018 FR ST does not.
Fair one, presumably they are options which my hire car happened to have. As it happens I am quite happy with an old fashioned handbrake. the electronic one on my colleague's Kia SUV jammed on and it cost her £1400 to fix!

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester
Not too much difference between the 2 having driven both.

I do however like how you can customise the led and dash colours to match your car colour on the facelift model.

Only red or white on the pre face lift, luckily my car is red so it suits quite well ;)

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
Auto dimming mirrors and lights are part of the Convenience pack and are available on both pre and post facelift. Almost all things are possible as retrofits as can be seen where others have done them on these forums including the screen. In fact since my fr st didn't have a Convenience pack and I missed the functions from my hatchback I bought the parts and retrofitted them. I only needed obd2eleven (which works with android (although I understand carista does pretty much the same things on iphones)) to code the car to turn on the auto lights, wipers and coming home/leaving home functions. Also turned one touch auto folding mirrors and chequered backgrounds as a bit of fun.
I've also seen people retrofit things like a reversing camera which is a nice bonus. Just a case of searching for the guides.
I got the feeling the op though has retrofitted stuff before which is why I didn't mention this though.
Yep forgot about the slightly different locations for usb including two in the back and two in the front on the facelift vs 1 in the front on the pre facelift. Also they added wireless charging on facelifts as an option but it doesn't work with android auto - you still have to plug a usb lead in, hopefully they can software update this (not sure about carplay).
Also slightly later (2018) they added the option of a digital dash.
And pre and post is the option of seat sound with sub and extra mid speaker (again retrofits have been done but this is a more difficult one). Very recent cars may come with the option of beats audio instead, only difference from seat sound seems to be an amplifier under passenger seat, but not sure of any more details of it.
One thing you may wish to look out for if it's your kind of thing is the panoramic sunroof on the st as it goes a lot further back than on the hatchback and is pretty decent. However it depends on if you'd use it, they are sometimes known to creak unless oiled, and add weight in the top of the car which may affect how it would drive but I can't imagine too much.

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
Forgot to mention keyless start and entry only came on the facelift if that is something you want.
One option regardless you will really want to look for is the winter pack with heated front seats and heated wiper jets (and lamp sprays), or alternatively the leather pack, but I'll be honest I'm not sure I got on with the full leather drivers seat and its lumber support. Although its electric I'm not sure the lumber is as good as the simple manual one normally fitted.

devexwarrior

Nov 4, 2019
The vehicle I usually drive at work - a Transit police van, has heated front seats. I hate them - I get in at the start of the shift and spend ages adjusting the seat and mirrors are set for the last user who is inevitably tiny, set off and half a minute later it feels like I've peed myself. Heated jets would be great but seats-naaah.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
To be honest, I would buy either pre or post facelift as it would be the price and the rest of the spec that would decide it for me. Having said that, I'd rather have the pre because...

I hate electric handbrakes. Had one on a Golf and it drove me mad. A solution looking for a problem, and causing a bunch of other problems in the process.

The radar gismo on the front of the car is witheringly expensive to fix if it goes kabluey. And if it goes faulty it stops the cruise control working as well, which is pretty annoying.

If possible, get the ST. On the move you don't notice the extra weight and it's a fantastically practical car. As well as the extra boot size there are other less obvious benefits. The roof rails make using a rack much simpler and safer and the boot well will swallow a full-sized 17'' FR alloy. The hatch only has room for a space-saver. I have an ST and it will be replaced by another one I reckon.

devexwarrior

Nov 4, 2019
The first thing I did with my ST was get a full size spare alloy from FleaBay. A friend in the trade supplied a new jack and I'm well set now. The compressor will com in handy for checking the family's tyres when they visit.

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
Fair dos heated seats are a personal choice, but on their lowest setting they are handy to take the edge off when it's really cold and the other stuff is handy.
Agree that the estate is much better. Having bought a set of 19" cupra alloys for my last st - an fr I managed to easily fit these in the back. Once fitted I'd add they did improve the road holding without affecting the ride too much.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
looking tobuy a Mk3 FR tdi with anything from 20,000 to 45,000 on clock, 2016 pre face go for around 7k-8k where a 17 plate go for 11k. Is it worth hanging out for a 17 plate, how much better is the computer,satnav media and so on? do u also get the door lightings above door handles in a preface lift? plus there style is a bit different as in bumper and lights, They retro fit? So other than electric handbrake all the changes retro fitable?
not sure if I want 5 door hatch or st yet.

Any help greatful
My sister some how has a prefacelift with the facelift infotainment system. No idea how she found that one. It is a black 5 door 2.0 TDI FR

Reactions: CupraK290

Mrs Ibiza 130

Jul 9, 2010
south wales border
Auto dimming mirrors and lights are part of the Convenience pack and are available on both pre and post facelift. Almost all things are possible as retrofits as can be seen where others have done them on these forums including the screen. In fact since my fr st didn't have a Convenience pack and I missed the functions from my hatchback I bought the parts and retrofitted them. I only needed obd2eleven (which works with android (although I understand carista does pretty much the same things on iphones)) to code the car to turn on the auto lights, wipers and coming home/leaving home functions. Also turned one touch auto folding mirrors and chequered backgrounds as a bit of fun.
I've also seen people retrofit things like a reversing camera which is a nice bonus. Just a case of searching for the guides.
I got the feeling the op though has retrofitted stuff before which is why I didn't mention this though.
Yep forgot about the slightly different locations for usb including two in the back and two in the front on the facelift vs 1 in the front on the pre facelift. Also they added wireless charging on facelifts as an option but it doesn't work with android auto - you still have to plug a usb lead in, hopefully they can software update this (not sure about carplay).
Also slightly later (2018) they added the option of a digital dash.
And pre and post is the option of seat sound with sub and extra mid speaker (again retrofits have been done but this is a more difficult one). Very recent cars may come with the option of beats audio instead, only difference from seat sound seems to be an amplifier under passenger seat, but not sure of any more details of it.
One thing you may wish to look out for if it's your kind of thing is the panoramic sunroof on the st as it goes a lot further back than on the hatchback and is pretty decent. However it depends on if you'd use it, they are sometimes known to creak unless oiled, and add weight in the top of the car which may affect how it would drive but I can't imagine too much.

I mainly like to change the multimedia system to a facelift 8" for a few reasons
1 the connective to phone and able to use phone on screen.
2 the pic option, as daughter likes to take pics so she likes the idea she can look at them on a screen than taking her laptop.
3 the change lighting option as ide like to do the front door cards from a facelift.
4usb ports.
Im looking at a 14 plate 35k fr st in white 184bhp 8k price
looking at a site the stereo can only be upgraded/retro fitted if the one in the car is

MY16 MY15 with satnav High what ever that is MQB Coding done it

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
Yes too be honest I should have qualified the upgrade in that it is possible to upgrade the screen on a mib2 unit, which are cars from roughly march 2015 onwards up to when the facelift came out in 2017. But that would be the screen. I dont think you would need to have a sat nav high model.
I'll add though that the mib2 unit with the 6.5" screen can connect to your phone if full link has been enabled, which most have been. Most obvious way to spot a car with the mib2 unit is look in the space under the heater controls where you generally place your phone. If it's the later unit it will have a usb port and headphone Jack. These are in the glovebox in the earlier cars.
Also I dont believe youd be able retrofit more about the lighting.
Not sure about photos from phone as I've never tried to do it. I think this is some only on cars with the sat nav high but cant be sure (can't remember from my old car). My current car does have a high unit but it is a facelift car. The main differences with the high model I understand are that it contains a hard disk of some sort, and that the maps are stored on that rather than an sd card. The facelift units have a wifi hotspot but I dont know if that is on the normal facelift model or not.

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
Personally I'd search for a pre facelift with the later mib2 headunit. This would save too much fading around. The bigger screen would be just that so I'd imagine it wouldn't be worth the messing around.