Exhaust sounds, pops, bangs etc

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
people generally associate pops and bangs with a car being powerful and fast, so therefor want their car to be the same.
Why do you think you see cars with such tiny engines with so many exhaust pipes?

If you look closely you will see that the exhaust diameters on those are tiny. Or... like on the Ford ST they have a valve in the exhast that closes one to maintain exhust pressure when letting off on acceleration. I noticed this when following one the other day and it was actually quite distracting watching that thing flapping about like your grannies bingo wings. I'd rather have a single exhaust pipe than some kind of over engineered penis enlargement.

Reactions: Zer0

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
Looks like I'm alone on this one then, I love a good pop and bang, not because I think I'm in a racecar, but because it makes me smile, it's fun and playful and makes me giggle after a hard day at work! Lets me enjoy the car and have a laugh whilst not breaking any speed laws, and if someone is pathetic enough to take offence by a few pops and bangs from a car which I've paid for, then tough for them, they'll get over it!

Reactions: JCB360

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Looks like I'm alone on this one then, I love a good pop and bang, not because I think I'm in a racecar, but because it makes me smile, it's fun and playful and makes me giggle after a hard day at work! Lets me enjoy the car and have a laugh whilst not breaking any speed laws, and if someone is pathetic enough to take offence by a few pops and bangs from a car which I've paid for, then tough for them, they'll get over it!

Exactly this.
Driving to work this morning I had to slowdown as a car turned off, I had an open road in front of me and just absolutely nailed it in 2nd, let off the accelerator and just let the pops take over. Had a very big smile on my face.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
What's the point in pops and bangs? Why do people wish their car to do this? I understand wanting the car to sound nice when idling/revving but i've never understood the pops and bangs aspect? Genuine question by the way.
On DSG cars it's a function of the shift protocols, you could silence it, but you'd lose power and most exhaust noise as well.
I think it started with rally cars back in the 80's.
When my wife heard the farts and pops she said buy it.

Reactions: Zer0

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
I can never hear any pops or bangs.

If I open the windows I can only hear the whoosh of air coming through. Lol.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I love the sound of the pops and crackles, maybe the slight “bang” I can’t make from what sounds like a dsg up shirt (mainly in the wet/frosty conditions) if I plant the throttle and let off around 3krpm just as the TCS kicks in.

Moron?....yes. Do I care....? Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LouG
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise