Wheel Hop and Sub8 ?

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I've seen lots of threads about this and to use a dogbone insert etc which I still don't have fitted , I still experience it in the wet in my car and even in the dry sometimes but not that often and i run Pilot Sport 4s all round and was thinking if its just naturally worse on a Sub8 as the alloys are 12kg aposed to 13.7kg on the standard alloys ? As that's about 8lbs lighter on the front so maybe it's just inherently worse even with an insert added ?

Hassen27

Feb 19, 2019
We have the same issue with the Cupra St, stock power, 19s and Michelin Ps4s.

Turning off TC reduces it massively. Tomorrow getting the Revo lower torque mount polybush and can update if it helps to get rid of it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
280/290/300 bhp in a fwd car. It’s just common sense that you won’t really be able to apply all that power to the road.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I've seen lots of threads about this and to use a dogbone insert etc which I still don't have fitted , I still experience it in the wet in my car and even in the dry sometimes but not that often and i run Pilot Sport 4s all round and was thinking if its just naturally worse on a Sub8 as the alloys are 12kg aposed to 13.7kg on the standard alloys ? As that's about 8lbs lighter on the front so maybe it's just inherently worse even with an insert added ?
Normally you'd expect the dampers to be better at controlling less weight. I think tyre carcase construction might have an effect on how bad it is. But the PS4S's have made a huge difference to mine. I'm also using DCC Sport instead of comfort with them.

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
280/290/300 bhp in a fwd car. It’s just common sense that you won’t really be able to apply all that power to the road.
Same with 150horse.after lowered improved but still not perfect however ps4 fitted too.insert was terrible with dsg on idle.I had to remove few days later.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Same with 150horse.after lowered improved but still not perfect however ps4 fitted too.insert was terrible with dsg on idle.I had to remove few days later.

I think I'd rather ease the throttle getting away than have an insert as I think the vibration would drive me mad lol

Reactions: Kirky and LouG

Hassen27

Feb 19, 2019
I think I'd rather ease the throttle getting away than have an insert as I think the vibration would drive me mad lol
Revo lower torque mount fitted today. Initial impressions:
1. Slight increase in vibration at idle only. Nil once moving. Will let mount bed in and see. Doesn't bother me and I doubt my wife would even notice
2. 80% of wheel hop gone. Very surprised it was effective. Even when tc now cuts in, it's not that juddering/noisy and it is much more manageable.
3. I really had to boot it from standstill to get tc to kick in. Easing off the throttle with tc on and there was no issues.

Very happy so far and will see how it goes over next 2 weeks as it did in when installing polybushes in the Impreza.

Next might consider the engine mounts and maybe a tcu software remap from Revo.

Hope that helps
2bc3892ab8c6c1124f1d2898f92da64f.jpg
c59e70ff0f876d597825513873ee2342.jpg

Reactions: RYANBRZ

RYANBRZ

Sep 10, 2019
1. Slight increase in vibration at idle only. Nil once moving. Will let mount bed in and see. Doesn't bother me and I doubt my wife would even notice
2. 80% of wheel hop gone. Very surprised it was effective. Even when tc now cuts in, it's not that juddering/noisy and it is much more manageable.
3. I really had to boot it from standstill to get tc to kick in. Easing off the throttle with tc on and there was no issues.

Very happy so far and will see how it goes over next 2 weeks as it did in when installing polybushes in the Impreza.

Hope that helps

I'm looking at getting the full Revo mounts as I am not found of dog bones due to the increased vibrations. It's good to know that just the lower torque mount made a big improvement, will be interesting to know how much difference the engine mount will make. Did you fit the lower torque mount yourself? if not how much was the labour?

Reactions: Hassen27

Ken H

Dec 20, 2015
Cork , Ireland

Hope that helps

Very interested to see how this works out!

Ken H

Dec 20, 2015
Cork , Ireland
I'm looking at getting the full Revo mounts as I am not found of dog bones due to the increased vibrations. It's good to know that just the lower torque mount made a big improvement, will be interesting to know how much difference the engine mount will make. Did you fit the lower torque mount yourself? if not how much was the labour?
Are these new products from Revo ?

Hassen27

Feb 19, 2019
Think it did the job with minimal nvh.

Used my local Revo dealer in Dublin, Larkin Automotive. They fitted it too. Charged 1hr labour but they have the removal tool, so part cost less and they had it in stock. To compare, all in it was €10 extra from buying the mount+tool on Revo website.

Ken H

Dec 20, 2015
Cork , Ireland
Afaik, they had them for a while. Larkin Automotive in Dublin and Daltons in Portlaoise should have them in stock too, in case you're in Ireland
In Cork. Revo do have an authorised dealer here also as far as I know. Would be interesting to know how good these actually are. Wheel hop for me is absolutely brutal it seems to the car . It’s the one thing I would love to sort out.

Hassen27

Feb 19, 2019
In Cork. Revo do have an authorised dealer here also as far as I know. Would be interesting to know how good these actually are. Wheel hop for me is absolutely brutal it seems to the car . It’s the one thing I would love to sort out.

PM me please so we don't clog OP thread and we can talk about it further :)

I will start a new thread with my subjective experiences with the above when I get a chance and further mods to try to get rid these issues.

RYANBRZ

Sep 10, 2019

going from contis to ps4S has really helped reduce wheel hop for me

Ken H

Dec 20, 2015
Cork , Ireland
going from contis to ps4S has really helped reduce wheel hop for me
Have them on the back, Goodyear up the front as there was alot of thread left in them. Yes i will definitely replace with ps4s up front also. Going back to Tara's original post , i also have the lighter wheels from Seat fitted and I do feel that it makes the wheel hop worse.

EoinM

Think it did the job with minimal nvh.

Used my local Revo dealer in Dublin, Larkin Automotive. They fitted it too. Charged 1hr labour but they have the removal tool, so part cost less and they had it in stock. To compare, all in it was €10 extra from buying the mount+tool on Revo website.

Long shot you see this, how did the mount bed in for you? I had it fitted yesterday on my 290 ST and there are some vibrations, just wondering if it settles much over time?

Hassen27

Feb 19, 2019
Long shot you see this, how did the mount bed in for you? I had it fitted yesterday on my 290 ST and there are some vibrations, just wondering if it settles much over time?
Bedded in after about 1 week. Now you don't even notice any nvh. Made a nice difference too. Didn't cure the wheel hop issue but 80% gone. If you disable tc and feather the throttke, you can modulate it better and get it off cleanly. Well worth doing imho

Reactions: EoinM

EoinM

Bedded in after about 1 week. Now you don't even notice any nvh. Made a nice difference too. Didn't cure the wheel hop issue but 80% gone. If you disable tc and feather the throttke, you can modulate it better and get it off cleanly. Well worth doing imho

Thanks. With working from home at the moment I've only done a couple of hundred km...it's an excuse to go for a few blasts I suppose so

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members