Switching interior lights to LED

Oct 24, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Hi All,

First post here! I'm also a new driver/not familiar with cars.
I've seen multiple threads relating to this, but not sure if it applies to my model.

I have a 2015 1.2 Petrol, DSG, 5 Door Seat Leon. I'm looking to change all the interior lights to LED's.
Can anyone link me to a set that will work? Is there anything I need to take into consideration?

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Welcome to the forums.

From what i've gathered messing around with bulbs is if you're replacing halogen bulbs with LED's, you need to buy 'Canbus error free' . Most of what you see on ebay etc are these.

I've also learnt that any bulbs on dimmer switches, for example, above head reading lights and footwell, they won't work properly and flicker on and off. Although i was told on here you can lower the brightness in your settings, as the flickering may be because it is drawing too much power.
I'm yet to try that though as i purchased some red halogens instead and they work fine for me.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Thanks Guys, I bought some 501 W5W and 239 C5W bulbs from Halfords today, hoping these might work!
If not, then I'll buy the ones you have suggested :happy:

From memory i don't think halfords LED's are error free so you might get an error light on your dash after using these.

Again you might not :)

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I changed all my interior bulbs to LED's when I got the car.

You need several different types of bulb, there is a thread listing them somewhere.

I buy all my bulbs from an ebay seller called fizzmo and have done for years. Here is a link to some of his bulbs, I think these are the ones for the rear passenger compartment lights: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-8-SMD-LED-501-T10-W5W-WEDGE-CANBUS-NO-ERROR-FREE-XENON-WHITE-SIDE-LIGHT-BULB/290617372321?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

salsajoe

Apr 12, 2017
Yorkshire
Tried a couple of interior LED lights but found them too bright at night. Just left the glove compartment one in the end.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
As per @Bendy, in my opinion, the Fizzmo lights are the best quality LEDs - no errors, no issues with polarity or dimming, and didn’t have one fail.

When modding interior LEDs first became popular on the MQB platform cars I reviewed many different types on the Briskoda forum. The internal lights are not monitored on VAG cars, less red bulbs on the doors (which the Leon doesn’t have). Car has a mixture of T10 W5W array (over head console x 5), Festoons (36mm from memory above sun visors x 2, additional required for pano roof) and T10 W5W 180 deg blade for footwell, glovebox and boot.

Reactions: HighFlyingBird
Oct 24, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks everyone!
I changed all my interior bulbs to LED's when I got the car.

You need several different types of bulb, there is a thread listing them somewhere.

I buy all my bulbs from an ebay seller called fizzmo and have done for years. Here is a link to some of his bulbs, I think these are the ones for the rear passenger compartment lights: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-8-SMD-LED-501-T10-W5W-WEDGE-CANBUS-NO-ERROR-FREE-XENON-WHITE-SIDE-LIGHT-BULB/290617372321?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Very handy, thank you! :)

Oct 24, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks everyone, I managed to swap them all over! Only issue I seem to have is with my front 'map reading' lights.
When these are switched off, they still slightly light? The rest of the lights do not do this ....

Oct 24, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
@BillyD96 Hi and welcome.
Did you get them sorted?
I had a similar problem on my MY2018 FR. Fitted a pair of these in front map reading lights and they cured the 'staying lit when off' issue.

https://www.horizonleds.co.uk/inter.../T10-501-W5W-smd-led/t10-501-w5w-canbus-5-led

Hope this helps

Hi Don, I haven't gotten to the bottom of this yet. If the switch is fully switched off then they stay off. However, if they're set to come on when the doors open then they're constantly dimly light. I've also noticed my glove box light is always on, is yours? I suspect the boot light may be the same. Over the last few weeks my battery has died 3 times and I suspect this may be the cause.

Don1961

Apr 11, 2019
Hmmm. So they stay dimly lit after doors are closed and interior lights have gone out?
Not sure about boot/glove box.... I'll check those tonight

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members