Struggling to find my next car?? (Focus st line or Leon Fr)

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Seen quite a few options but mainly nailed it down to the Ford Focus St Line and Seat Leon 1.4 FR 150 2016/66/17

Love the spec on both cars and I currently own a 1.2 Ibiza Fr(2012) but love the new spec of the Leons too. This time of year condensation is annoying in any car but supposedly its still a problem in the leons too going forward compared to other companies e.g. ford has rear and front heated windscreens. The Leon(s) im looking at are 2016 and newer so is condensation still a problem in the new models.

Only test drove the ST line 1.0 today but struggling to find a decent Leon Fr with black alloys within my budget looking to spend about 11500 tops. seen a few cheaper options but the alloys are horrible.

Any recommendations what to look out for or any known issues in the newer leons? Or recommend a better alternative than the two cars mentioned?

ST line iv seen and drove: https://www.carshop.co.uk/used-car/FORD/FOCUS/MV67ZPU

Leon Iv seen from the same garage: https://www.carshop.co.uk/used-car/SEAT/LEON/GL17DWX
cheers.

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
The Leon’s engine line up is much stronger than Fords and more reliable. Ford have had reliability issues with their Ecoboost engines blowing heads etc and servicing them because of their oil isn’t as cheap as a Seat either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RYANBRZ

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I have a 1.4 2017 Leon FR, condensation isn't much of an issue for me. It does happen sometimes, but I find the window heater relatively good in these cars and it clears most of the time within a few minutes. The heat also get up quickly on these cars.

I find putting the HVAC onto auto while driving helps to prevent condensation from occurring in the first place. Also ensuring no damp/wet items are in the car helps alot.

The 1.4 is a good solid engine and I've been happy with mine since I got the car at the beginning of the year. Not many complaints that I've seen from other people either in regards to the 1.4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wilkesy and Hag

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
The new 2018/19 focus st line is a good looking car but the prices are crazy.

compared to the older one that you have linked in the leon is the better looking car imo.

Never really liked the shape of the old focus

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Given the choice of a Leon FR or Focus ST I’d go for the Leon. As @Hag has mentioned, I’ve read of potentially expensive issues with Ford’s Ecoboost engines, so would avoid buying a car with an Ecoboost powerplant.

@Wilkesy - the colour of the Leon at the link you’ve posted looks like Mediterranean Blue which i think is a solid (non-metallic) colour and IMO isn’t one of the more popular colours or one of best colours to show off the body lines of the Leon. However, colour is a very personal thing and different people will have different preferences, which is a good thing! If I was looking for a Leon with black alloys, I think I’d be looking for a Red, White or a Silver coloured car to provide a contrast between the car body colour and black wheels. It may be easier to find a car with silver coloured alloys and then consider getting the wheels powder coated in black.

There’s plenty used Leon’s out there for sale, so don’t buy the first one you see; check out a few examples and take your time in tracking down the right car for you.

Good luck in your search.

Reactions: Hag

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Given the choice of a Leon FR or Focus ST I’d go for the Leon. As @Hag has mentioned, I’ve read of potentially expensive issues with Ford’s Ecoboost engines, so would avoid buying a car with an Ecoboost powerplant.

@Wilkesy - the colour of the Leon at the link you’ve posted looks like Mediterranean Blue which i think is a solid (non-metallic) colour and IMO isn’t one of the more popular colours or one of best colours to show off the body lines of the Leon. However, colour is a very personal thing and different people will have different preferences, which is a good thing! If I was looking for a Leon with black alloys, I think I’d be looking for a Red, White or a Silver coloured car to provide a contrast between the car body colour and black wheels. It may be easier to find a car with silver coloured alloys and then consider getting the wheels powder coated in black.

There’s plenty used Leon’s out there for sale, so don’t buy the first one you see; check out a few examples and take your time in tracking down the right car for you.

Good luck in your search.
thanks for honesty, yeh really struggling to find a leon with black alloys just a stand out colour. At the moment I do have a burgundy red ibiza fr which looks great. another I have seen is in nottingham, I'd probably get thr alloys changed to make it all black eventually

https://www.thecararena.co.uk/used-...r-tech-pack-ss-5dr-nottingham-201911204566537

Is there a name for black alloys version or is just as simple as buy a nice technology pack version FR and get them painted?

P.S. I love that light blue colour too but arent that many around where I live.

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
Why not buy a cheaper leon with alloys you aren't too keen on then swap the alloys for ones that you do like. I have done this previously. The perfect car maybe out there but with awful alloys and because of this nobody else pay attention to it which helps make it a bargain for you.
The money you are talking should too be honest be enough for a early 17 plate facelift if whoever's selling can be bargained down, otherwise you can go slightly cheaper and either respray a design you like - the 18" performance design look good in black and I'm sure there are enough out there who would respray them for not much.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
£50 an alloy for painting I’d say. Looks lovely and has the Tech Pack which is a must

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
...Is there a name for black alloys version or is just as simple as buy a nice technology pack version FR and get them painted.
The current ones are just described as 18* SPort Black in the brochure. iirc there have been Black Editions in the past, just a few bits of black trim & wheels.

just seen this one too but would have to change the alloys with the change, how much are we talking for poder coating or 4 black alloys?
If they are in good condition and don't need any additional refurb work, then £65 each if you give them the wheels with tyres on is a ball park price.
Budget on £300 the set and you'll have change from a properly done job.

I certainly wouldn't let wheel colour decide which car to buy, it's so restrictive that you'll be missing out on the best cars. Buy the best spec/condition car for you and budget for the wheel painting.

Reactions: '& Son' managed

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
If you can live with 5 door instead of a 3 door your number of choices will grow considerably. It will also give you a much better chance when it comes to selling the car when it comes to that - the number of people interested in 3 door cars is very limited (learnt through experience). I took a look and if you were willing to travel (it's only going to be a train ride) then there are a fair number of 17 and 67 plate cars which come well within your limit and are fr tech specd with 1.4 engines.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've driven a 2014 Ibiza FR, owned a 2016 Ibiza FR and now own a 2016 Leon FR. I also seriously wanted a Fiesta S and Focus ST and looked at and drove both.

Short answer, get the Leon FR.

The issues with the Ford Ecoboost engine are not trivial. Odds are that most owners will enjoy years of trouble free motoring but a simple coolant leak is very likely to destroy your engine and Ford will take £4'500 off you to replace it! They have already replaced about twenty thousand of them, and even under warranty have only covered the cost of half of those. Once you're out of warranty, you're screwed.

I also hate Ford dealers. I have a friend who worked for one for thirty years. Hasn't got a good word to say about them. Build is not very impressive either. Sit in a Leon then sit in a Ford. It's a shame because these Fords are supposed to be great to drive and I've never owned a Ford but my reasons for not buying one are still valid.

Even the post facelift (2016) Ibiza FR is much better than the earlier Ibiza FR. The difference in the interior is obvious but less so are the tweaks to the suspension. The car drives much better.

The Leon FR however is a big step up over either. It isn't as point and squirt as the Ibiza, it's a bigger car, but it retains enough of the playful nature to be entertaining to drive. The 150 engine is responsive, perky and on the move the car feels lighter than it is. Despite a bit of firmness around town, the Leon is massively more refined and comfortable than the Ibiza. Even the seats are slightly wider!

I've also had a Mk7 Golf and I prefer the Leon to that as well. They are good cars.

Fortis

Jul 11, 2019
I've driven a 2014 Ibiza FR, owned a 2016 Ibiza FR and now own a 2016 Leon FR. I also seriously wanted a Fiesta S and Focus ST and looked at and drove both.

Short answer, get the Leon FR.

The issues with the Ford Ecoboost engine are not trivial. Odds are that most owners will enjoy years of trouble free motoring but a simple coolant leak is very likely to destroy your engine and Ford will take £4'500 off you to replace it! They have already replaced about twenty thousand of them, and even under warranty have only covered the cost of half of those. Once you're out of warranty, you're screwed.

I also hate Ford dealers. I have a friend who worked for one for thirty years. Hasn't got a good word to say about them. Build is not very impressive either. Sit in a Leon then sit in a Ford. It's a shame because these Fords are supposed to be great to drive and I've never owned a Ford but my reasons for not buying one are still valid.

Even the post facelift (2016) Ibiza FR is much better than the earlier Ibiza FR. The difference in the interior is obvious but less so are the tweaks to the suspension. The car drives much better.

The Leon FR however is a big step up over either. It isn't as point and squirt as the Ibiza, it's a bigger car, but it retains enough of the playful nature to be entertaining to drive. The 150 engine is responsive, perky and on the move the car feels lighter than it is. Despite a bit of firmness around town, the Leon is massively more refined and comfortable than the Ibiza. Even the seats are slightly wider!

I've also had a Mk7 Golf and I prefer the Leon to that as well. They are good cars.
Nicely summed up cheers. I’ll have a proper look tonight think I might have a look at the Nottingham black one on Saturday

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
I agree about the wheels comment too. I had the same dilemma as. Not like the standard 17s but I got the right car and deal. I them added my wheels of choice a few months later. Agree with the 5dr point which is why Seat stopped making them as to did Audi and Ford. They just don’t sell as well. Even Hot Golfs are more desirable as 5drs due to being able to do everything. The 150 Leon’s are also better on fuel than the 125 Leon and both the Focus Ecoboost Engines and much smoother to drive

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
I worked with Ford for 3 years and agree ref dealers in service, pricing and a little arrogance whereas with Seat and Skoda you don’t tend to get that and costs for maintenance are better. I was on the Skoda side shared with the Ford site and the difference in mentalities in the same building was weird

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The fords look good and are good to drive. Add the performance/sporting heritage and you've got a boy racer's wet dream! Which is why it can be hard to find one that's not been ragged as they are chosen by the penises of penises.

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Okay thanks definitely good food for thought and sorry about the previous comments I was in a rush haha hence the not making sense parts haha...

I am swaying more to the idea of having a Leon FR now, just trying to find one. Weird question but does auto trader have all cars or not and could it be a matter of check each individual garage around me to check if they stock one?

iv seen a couple and like the black FR at Nottingham from the link in the previous post and certainly change the alloys eventually and the grey one in Leeds. Seen a local 125 fr 16 plate which looks bang one black alloys and black roof with the white body surrounding, problem is the tax and fuel consumption is terrible compared to the 150 bhp

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Okay thanks definitely good food for thought and sorry about the previous comments I was in a rush haha hence the not making sense parts haha...

I am swaying more to the idea of having a Leon FR now, just trying to find one. Weird question but does auto trader have all cars or not and could it be a matter of check each individual garage around me to check if they stock one?

iv seen a couple and like the black FR at Nottingham from the link in the previous post and certainly change the alloys eventually and the grey one in Leeds. Seen a local 125 fr 16 plate which looks bang one black alloys and black roof with the white body surrounding, problem is the tax and fuel consumption is terrible compared to the 150 bhp
Autotrader advertise a lot of cars but they do by no means advertise all cars.

A lot of dealers will be able to sell a car before it makes it on to autotrader. Some private sellers will advertise on forums such as this, piston heads or the like. THink rightmove and zoopla for houses neither one advertises every proeprty available. There are fees involved with selling the car so people will try and avoid as much of that if they can by only advertising on one site. Autotrader is probably the most well known.

If you can, it is worth going to a dealership that is part of a group to see if they have anything in stock. IF you are east of England, I can recommend Marshalls. Also check Seat used cars, but they don't usually go back more than a couple of years.

Another option, depening on how long you are willing to wait, is to go to look at used car auctions. Mostly people looking for a quick sell, i've not used one myself and found my car on Auto Trader at a great price.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.