Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Reactions: Walone and Sword

Louder

Dec 17, 2018
Excellent guide. I've done this job before to fit an amp but come to do it again today and completely forgot I had to remove the shroud to access the last two screws.
Thanks

Reactions: Lozzy15

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
The photo's should load up, they do for me. How are you viewing it? Maybe try a different web browser?

I can see them too. Sometimes if people view them from work, they get blocked by the corporate firewall.

Reactions: Lozzy15

jjsmith72

Dec 28, 2014
Hi guys & gals,
Nice and simple how to for you today. I will be showing you how to remove the glovebox, which also involves removing the nav/media unit to do so, so I'll show you how to do that too. This is realtively easy to do and shouldn't take long. Removing the glovebox gives better access to the fusebox and the HVAC blower amongst other things hidden behind it.

If I've linked you here from another one of my guides, then the tools required will have been listed in that guide too. There aren't any extra listed here that you need.

Tools
T20 & T25 Torx driver
Flat-bladed screwdriver
Radio removal tools or long pair of scissors

Removing the media unit

To begin with you can remove the media unit. Open the glove box and insert the removal tools or the blades of a pair of scissors into the 2 flat holes at the bottom of the unit:
uZgZICG.jpg

Then pull the unit out. With the unit fully out of it's enclosure, disconnect all the electrical connections. The ones circled in red have a tab that slides out before they will disconnect:
T0xwZ0x.jpg

The black square connector also has a tab that needs to be pressed down to release the clip's locking mechanism. With the tab pressed down, the lock will rotate upwards, allowing removal of the connector.
Tab highlighted by red arrow, rotate in direction of green arrow:
dkZimUj.jpg

Once all the connectors have been released, the media unit can be removed.

Removing the glovebox
With the media unit gone, we can now get the glovebox out of the car.
Start by removing the T20 Torx screws under the glovebox. 3 secure the upper cover in the footwell (Circled in red) and another 3 secure the bottom of the glovebox itself (Circled in green). When the cover is loose, it has a light that need to be removed/disconnected:
dp1955Q.jpg

With the footwell cover removed, looking up from the bottom of the glove box there is a electrical connector to disconnect (Circled in green):
BN2nULi.jpg

Now with the glovebox open, you need drop the compartment down to gain more access. To do this you have to press both sides inwards at the same time and pull it down (Press inwards and in the direction of the red arrows):
qbeAfho.jpg

Next, remove the plastic shroud around where the media unit was located. To do this, run your fingers along the bottom of it to the rear, and then pull it towards you. Once removed, there are 2 T25 screws in the back of the upper corners where it lived. You may need to use an extension to reach them.

Left screw (Already removed in photo):
d6YVSxB.jpg

Right screw(Already removed in photo):
YyZY10E.jpg

Now you need to remove 3 T20 screws along the top front edge of the inside of the glovebox.

Where the glovebox closes, on either side there is a plastic tab and the rubber stopper. The plastic tab can be popped out with a small flat-bladed screwdriver, while the rubber stoppers have a T20 screw inside of them. In the centre of the rubber is a small hole that the Torx driver can be pushed into to undo the screw:
4F13bLG.jpg

If you have removed everything listed above, the glovebox should now pull forward. As it does, there are a few more things to disconnect. Firstly, push the wiring loom from the media unit up and out of the way. There is a cutout in the glovebox to allow this:
Qx6h6vw.jpg

Once it's pushed through the hole, you need to release a securing tab for the wiring loom that is attached to the top of the glovebox:
fJWoFXW.jpg

Then disconnect the glovebox light:
N8AQjn4.jpg

Finally disconnect the passenger airbag switch.
Ensure the ignition is turned off before doing so, else you may activate the airbag light.
The connector has a red tab that has to be pulled up to allow release (other side of the connector, not shown in the picture):
dQWyfCu.jpg

You can now remove the glovebox:
VaYBk6t.jpg

To refit, it is the reversal of removal.
While it is removed, turning on the ignition may activate the airbag light.

Any questions or suggestions feel free to post or message me.
Regards,
Lozzy
Yea that's what it is! thanks
Hi, could you let me know what all the connections are for on back of unit as I'm upgrade from the 5inch cd screen that doesn't have the glovebox unit.

Thanks

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Hi, could you let me know what all the connections are for on back of unit as I'm upgrade from the 5inch cd screen that doesn't have the glovebox unit.

Thanks

Hi,
I have some wiring diagrams that show what all the connectors are. You'll have to figure out which one is which using the info in the diagrams. If you're not sure how to make sense of them, check out these links to see how you can read the diagrams:

I've split the 8 pages of diagrams across 2 images to save space. I've noted 3 door and 5 door diagrams on the images:
3f7c9Cz.png

DHbdzwu.png

jjsmith72

Dec 28, 2014
Hi,
I have some wiring diagrams that show what all the connectors are. You'll have to figure out which one is which using the info in the diagrams. If you're not sure how to make sense of them, check out these links to see how you can read the diagrams:

I've split the 8 pages of diagrams across 2 images to save space. I've noted 3 door and 5 door diagrams on the images:
3f7c9Cz.png

DHbdzwu.png
That's great, thank you for this.

UnHandyAndy

Dec 23, 2020
Ayr
Thanks for this great guide @Lozzy15 , I‘m a total numpty mechanically and was able to do this procedure no trouble at all. I went on to swap out my heater matrix and now have plenty of hot air and a system that doesn’t lose coolant (also due to guides on here). My only advice to other rookies: if you need to do this job, invest in a couple of Seat SatNav/Media Unit pullers, they’re about £6 quid and save a lot of faff. I also needed a flexible driver (which I had bought by accident :rolleyes:) to get to a couple of awkward Torx bolts as part of the matrix job. Excellent Forum site, thanks again.

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
Hi, I followed your guide on getting the glove compartment out. There an electrical connector which you said needs to be disconnected. I disconnected it but have no clue where it goes back or what it’s even for. I’ve attached the pic that you put up. cheers mate

Attachments

• 1BCC8B09-D486-475D-B8EF-8445AFD07E79.jpeg
    1BCC8B09-D486-475D-B8EF-8445AFD07E79.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 818
Reactions: UnHandyAndy

UnHandyAndy

Dec 23, 2020
Ayr
Hi, I followed your guide on getting the glove compartment out. There an electrical connector which you said needs to be disconnected. I disconnected it but have no clue where it goes back or what it’s even for. I’ve attached the pic that you put up. cheers mate
Hi,

If you're lucky that's the exact same point I got to. I was so keen to make sure everything was re-connected before I put the glove box back in, I forgot that one of the electrical plugs actually connected to the bit of trim I had taken off. So I was searching for a socket under the dash, that was actually lying in the back seat at the time! If you've still got the glove box out, turn it over and you'll see the socket for it. I think it might supply the glove box light, but somebody better qualified will hopefully correct me. If you already have the glove box back on, from memory its at the left had side, and you really need to lie in the footwell and look up to see it. Good luck.

Reactions: CardiffFR150

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Hi,
As far as I can remember it's for the switch that detects if the glovebox is open or not so the light comes on. As UnHandyAndy has said if you've put everything back in you need to look up from below to find it, with the lower cover removed first. It should be near the left hand side of the glovebox.

Reactions: CardiffFR150

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
Hi,

If you're lucky that's the exact same point I got to. I was so keen to make sure everything was re-connected before I put the glove box back in, I forgot that one of the electrical plugs actually connected to the bit of trim I had taken off. So I was searching for a socket under the dash, that was actually lying in the back seat at the time! If you've still got the glove box out, turn it over and you'll see the socket for it. I think it might supply the glove box light, but somebody better qualified will hopefully correct me. If you already have the glove box back on, from memory its at the left had side, and you really need to lie in the footwell and look up to see it. Good luck.

Cheers mate I’ll check that out now! The glovebox and all the plastics are still out. I’ve had to take a break because it was frustrating me so badly. I had no heat in my car so took the matrix out gave it a little clean by physically blowing water through it, put it back together and today I’m getting a slight bit of heat coming through.

im thinking I may have almost cleared some sort of blockage. I’m also thinking of buying a push bike because I’ve had enough of cars:LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: UnHandyAndy

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
Hi,
As far as I can remember it's for the switch that detects if the glovebox is open or not so the light comes on. As UnHandyAndy has said if you've put everything back in you need to look up from below to find it, with the lower cover removed first. It should be near the left hand side of the glovebox.

Cheers pal I’m gunna give it a shot now. Thank you matey

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
UPDATE**

Finally decided to buy a brand new heater matrix today. Put it in and I’m glad to say I finally have heat!!! Not just warm air lol actual boiling hot blowers! After almost getting ripped off by my local mechanic, hours and hours of YouTube videos and the help of you guys on this forum I finally got there. Now I just gotta put the glove box and all the other bits back together if I can find all the screws lol

Apr 19, 2021
Guide now located in the new resources section of the site

HI,

Great guide followed and helped me with the replacement of the heater core. However, I turned on the ignition and now the airbag warning light has been activated, any idea how to get this reset?

Regards...

CardiffFR150

Jan 5, 2021
Cardiff
HI,

Great guide followed and helped me with the replacement of the heater core. However, I turned on the ignition and now the airbag warning light has been activated, any idea how to get this reset?

Regards...

Apparently the dealership are the only ones that can turn this light off. If it was me I’d probably try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. Seems like a minor error in the system to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.