Cupra R ABT issues

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
So what about the dreaded GPF issue that ABT says restricts power.... not a problem so it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was expecting it to be an issue, I even said to the bloke mapping it that I would be happy for around the 340 mark. I would have thought it was a very kind dyno if they hadn’t have done the runs before. And it was only on the 95 ron map not the 98

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
I was expecting it to be an issue, I even said to the bloke mapping it that I would be happy for around the 340 mark. I would have thought it was a very kind dyno if they hadn’t have done the runs before. And it was only on the 95 ron map not the 98

Get some good juice in it and it should be better again. I never run mine on anything less than 98. Will@VRS does know his stuff. Did you get a Black Friday deal.

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
Get some good juice in it and it should be better again. I never run mine on anything less than 98. Will@VRS does know his stuff. Did you get a Black Friday deal.

Unfortunately I can only get 97 ron anywhere near me just BPs and ESSOs. Always put the 97 in tho.
And yes he does, All nice blokes there would recommend. Think it was 25% off the APR stuff

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Think you’re missing the point. It’s not about being a track day special. If it’s marketed and sold as 345bhp ABT option it should be capable of this in all conditions or disclaimed explicitly otherwise, thus stopping this sort of thread coming about.

if they don’t think they can realistically achieve 345bhp in all conditions (even on a dyno run ffs) then they should have left it at 300bhp and not bothered.
A standard Cupra will not make 300 hp when running on 95 (as allowed by VAG), the ECU is protecting the engine on the lower octane fuel. Would you return your car in this situation?
Many people on here simply to not understand that vehicle manufacturers always have to consider litigation if they produce a product that fails through their negligence.
Don't buy the ABT unit, buy some aftermarket thing that'll void your warranty if that's what you prefer. I won't.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
A standard Cupra will not make 300 hp when running on 95 (as allowed by VAG), the ECU is protecting the engine on the lower octane fuel. Would you return your car in this situation?
Many people on here simply to not understand that vehicle manufacturers always have to consider litigation if they produce a product that fails through their negligence.
Don't buy the ABT unit, buy some aftermarket thing that'll void your warranty if that's what you prefer. I won't.
So what about the fact many stock 280’s/290’s are over 300?

You take things very seriously and never seem to agree with many people on here I’ve noticed!

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
Nope 95 high torque, no garages anywhere near me well above 97 so went with the 95 map to be on the safe side

Ahh, makes sense. Was really close getting 98 high TQ but until someone show some Dragy times etc with APR im not getting it. I know plenty of people have dyno results with great resultat but thats not really interesting. I've seen dragytimes with Revo BETA and those are solid :)

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
A stock Cupra will make 300hp on 95, not much so during July and August in the UK, but any other time it won't be a problem!

The stock ECU will only provide about 6.5° of advance from 4500 to 5900rpm, it then steps up from there to 10° at redline, running stock boost and moderate IAT's it will hit those ignition targets no issue on 95!

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
A stock Cupra will make 300hp on 95, not much so during July and August in the UK, but any other time it won't be a problem!

The stock ECU will only provide about 6.5° of advance from 4500 to 5900rpm, it then steps up from there to 10° at redline, running stock boost and moderate IAT's it will hit those ignition targets no issue on 95!
That’s odd, as a couple of guys in Ireland who don’t get anything other than 95 over there haven’t been getting those numbers before a remap.

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
If they were on the Dyno during the summer months I can see there been a drop in power, but any other time they should be! Got many datalogs from cars on 95 and they would suggest no power issues! Our ecu's are very IAT sensitive though a little to sensitive really!

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
So what about the fact many stock 280’s/290’s are over 300?

You take things very seriously and never seem to agree with many people on here I’ve noticed!
Really? Over 300 on SEAT's engine dyno? You don't seem to understand that all dynos differ from day to day. Even run to run. If you had real experience in the motor trade you'd know this. Instead of getting sucked into internet wisdom.
I find not taking vehicle mods seriously can result in tears, and I'll never pretend to agree when I don't. It makes life easier.

Last edited:

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Just saw a post on the FB group with an R ST ABT dyno’d at 331hp and 335lb/ft of torque.
That’s slightly down on hp but slightly up on torque from what ABT claim I think (440nm vs 454nm in this result)
If mine made that I’d be happy.

No idea if the chap has any supporting mods though.

Marko70

Jul 6, 2019
Just saw a post on the FB group with an R ST ABT dyno’d at 331hp and 335lb/ft of torque.
That’s slightly down on hp but slightly up on torque from what ABT claim I think (440nm vs 454nm in this result)
If mine made that I’d be happy.

No idea if the chap has any supporting mods though.
which group is that?

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Really? Over 300 on SEAT's engine dyno? You don't seem to understand that all dynos differ from day to day. Even run to run. If you had real experience in the motor trade you'd know this. Instead of getting sucked into internet wisdom.
I find not taking vehicle mods seriously can result in tears, and I'll never pretend to agree when I don't. It makes life easier.
You do need to lighten up though. A lot of these people you talk about on the internet, actually meet up and talk to each other in person and it’s not just internet bravado. They see these things in the real world. Whether it’s at a local meet, race track, drag strip or Dyno days.

Where I agree a Dyno is not always the most accurate thing, these engines do generally produce more power than the factory numbers suggest. This has been shown by drag strip times and GPS recorded in gear accelerations.

The press are not the most accurate of people at times but even a lot of them commented that the 280 Spanish horses seems to have just as much poke as the 300 German horses at the time. ECU tuners who look at maps like Racingline were even saying the ECU file on a 300 Golf R was identical to that of a 280 Cupra.

So lighten up, you come across as if you’re the font of all knowledge when it comes to cars. Yet let’s be honest you aren’t. (And neither am I for the record). I know you seem to like to be the resident grumpy b*****d. But sometimes you just come across as a bit of a, well ****. I’d like to assume you’re not and you’re trying to be helpful. But it certainly doesn’t come across that way.

Last edited:

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Just at the windup, I’ve enjoyed following this thread especially with such a great outcome on the power front. Looking to map mine next year and the tuner said +60bhp (I have a 280) but considering they’re all practically the same engine and I have an r600 and vwr pipework I would be hoping for more.. so seeing one with the PPF getting such gains.

Lighten up folks.

Reactions: JCB360 and Damo H