Keyfob stopped working after battery change!!

wolfie150

Oct 8, 2009
Birmingham
As per the title really...had the message on the dashboard saying change keyfob battery..the keyfob hadn't actually ceased working but decided to change the CR2025 battery inside anyway.

Prised the key apart...used a small screwdriver and the present battery flipped out and replaced it with the another battery.

Went to the car and pressed the keyfob...the indicators etc flashed once and I thought great job done...

BUT since this it has not been working...no red light on the keyfob or reaction from the car itself.

Is this a common occurance or have I done something wrong... the battery is definately inserted corrected.

Any help would be appreciated before a trip to the stealers where I will no doubt be asked to part with some hard earned!

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
As per the title really...had the message on the dashboard saying change keyfob battery..the keyfob hadn't actually ceased working but decided to change the CR2025 battery inside anyway.

Prised the key apart...used a small screwdriver and the present battery flipped out and replaced it with the another battery.

Went to the car and pressed the keyfob...the indicators etc flashed once and I thought great job done...

BUT since this it has not been working...no red light on the keyfob or reaction from the car itself.

Is this a common occurance or have I done something wrong... the battery is definately inserted corrected.

Any help would be appreciated before a trip to the stealers where I will no doubt be asked to part with some hard earned!
No red light on the fob suggests that the battery is duff. If you are no where near the car and pres the button the red light on the remote still shows on mine. Maybe just take it apart again and check nothing is loose.

briancbb

Sep 4, 2015
Kirkcaldy
Before a trip to the stealers I would definitely repeat the process, take the battery out, check contact areas and reinsert.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
It’s not unknown for some batteries of dubious quality to fail very quickly, so maybe you have a duff / faulty battery - more likely to be the case if you purchased it off certain on line auction sites.

I’d try a different battery and if yours was bought off the internet, ensure the replacement is purchased from a reputable source.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I had mine replaced at its service and the warning came back on within a week, couple days later the car wouldn’t lock/unlock, replaced with my own batteries and works a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019
Strangely enough i had the same issue last month or the month before. I just changed another battery AGAIN and it works fine now.
Chances are it's a dud, like the others are saying.

Tivver500

Nov 23, 2019
I have had similar issues with my Ford key.... They seem to be very sensitive to battery type/make/voltage.
I ended up buying a stack of Duracell batteries (online) and have had no problems since.
The 'other' batteries showed the same cell voltage on load but wouldn't work.....

wolfie150

Oct 8, 2009
Birmingham
Thanks for all the help and replys guys..been busy so not replied sooner...but yes a reputable battery from a reputable source has done the trick..

:coolthumb

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
By the way, there are a lot of fake batteries out there, especially Duracell. My tactic is to buy from a good brand but not the leading brands, as those are the ones that get copied.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I don’t change them till the battery fails, but if you must, then don’t throw the old one away until a couple of days have passed, it’s handy as a fault check if something like this happens.

We had the ‘change battery’ message on for months last time.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
By the way, there are a lot of fake batteries out there, especially Duracell. My tactic is to buy from a good brand but not the leading brands, as those are the ones that get copied.

I don't want to read stuff like this especially as I have 5 packs of 2 LR44s Duracells on their way right now - less of a problem with their usage hopefully - and hopefully I've bought the real things at a good price!

VW Group used to favour Sony as their key battery provider of choice, I've never checked my 2011 Audi S4's or my wife's 2015 Polo keys yet, so far so good, one day, hopefully in a timely manner I will check or change them all, I did do with our previous "set" of cars, buying Sony batteries online from a "good?" supplier.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I don't want to read stuff like this especially as I have 5 packs of 2 LR44s Duracells on their way right now - less of a problem with their usage hopefully - and hopefully I've bought the real things at a good price!

VW Group used to favour Sony as their key battery provider of choice, I've never checked my 2011 Audi S4's or my wife's 2015 Polo keys yet, so far so good, one day, hopefully in a timely manner I will check or change them all, I did do with our previous "set" of cars, buying Sony batteries online from a "good?" supplier.
All my last few SEATS had Panasonic batts in, and I always replaced with same and never had any probs, My 2014 Cupra fob lasted just over 4 years before the batt needed replaced.

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
Warning appeared on dashboard last Tuesday, so I put a new battery (Duracell) in the keyfob.

Absolutely no problems at all. Worked perfectly immediately.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.