Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Guide now located in the new resources section of the site

Last edited:

Diggler

Feb 9, 2019
UK
Out of interest did F40 already have a 20A fuse in it? In the book it says this is for the 12v Sockets but mine didn't have a fuse in that position and the centre 12v socket was not LIVE. Took me a while to work it out, but it seems that they never fitted a fuse for the 12v sockets!?

Last edited:

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Out of interest did F40 already have a 20A fuse in it? In the book it says this is for the 12v Sockets but mine didn't have a fuse in that position and the centre 12v socket was not LIVE. Took me a while to work it out, but it seems that they never fitted a fuse for the 12v sockets!?

That's very odd! Yes I'm pretty sure mine is fitted with a 20 amp fuse from memory.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
So, I got the same camera and ready to install - please correct me if I am wrong this is what I need extra:
- Cigarrete lighter to cable adapter as per your picture
- Fuse piggy back that goes in 40 slot
- Attach red wire from the cigarrete lighter adapter to the red wire of the fuse piggy back adapter
- Attach black wire from the cigarrete lighter adapter to the ground
- ...profit!

@Lozzy15 can you confirm?

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
So, I got the same camera and ready to install - please correct me if I am wrong this is what I need extra:
- Cigarrete lighter to cable adapter as per your picture
- Fuse piggy back that goes in 40 slot
- Attach red wire from the cigarrete lighter adapter to the red wire of the fuse piggy back adapter
- Attach black wire from the cigarrete lighter adapter to the ground
- ...profit!

@Lozzy15 can you confirm?
That is correct pal.

Reactions: Jaco2k

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
For anyone with a Thinkware camera and iPhone who has updated to iOS13.

You may have realised the App stopped connecting since the update, caused me some frustration!

Any way, on their forum they mentioned the new iOS has messed with the App and advised not to update...

Bit late for me BUT today they have released an update to fix the app, thought someone else may be in the same boat!

Oh and also, apparently BlackVue have suffered the same fate, so look out for their update!

Reactions: Lozzy15

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
For anyone with a Thinkware camera and iPhone who has updated to iOS13.

You may have realised the App stopped connecting since the update, caused me some frustration!

Any way, on their forum they mentioned the new iOS has messed with the App and advised not to update...

Bit late for me BUT today they have released an update to fix the app, thought someone else may be in the same boat!

Oh and also, apparently BlackVue have suffered the same fate, so look out for their update!

The issue only affects iPhones then? I'll have a check on mine phone (Android)

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Does anyone else have their DAB reception get murdered with a rear view dash cam? I have a NextBase camera in both the front and the back. As I understand the DAB antenna is in the rear windscreen, it also seems the ferrite core around the cable doesn't make a difference. I am not that bothered since I can connect Bluetooth to my phone and use Spotify or a radio app, but it would be nice to switch to the radio as i sometimes get bored of listening to the same playlist on my hour and a half long commute.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Does anyone else have their DAB reception get murdered with a rear view dash cam? I have a NextBase camera in both the front and the back. As I understand the DAB antenna is in the rear windscreen, it also seems the ferrite core around the cable doesn't make a difference. I am not that bothered since I can connect Bluetooth to my phone and use Spotify or a radio app, but it would be nice to switch to the radio as i sometimes get bored of listening to the same playlist on my hour and a half long commute.

I haven't any issues since fitting my cam. I only use DAB stations when I do have the radio on.
I also had a front and rear cam in my last car that used the rear window for radio and no issues with that either.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I haven't any issues since fitting my cam. I only use DAB stations when I do have the radio on.
I also had a front and rear cam in my last car that used the rear window for radio and no issues with that either.
The DAB reception on my commute isn't great at the best of times anyway. Oh well... Hopefully newer versions of these dash cams will recognise that they need to be insulated to stop this problem.

Edit: After reading several reviews of Nextbase cameras, it would appear that those cause issues in a lot of cars. But so do the Halfords own brand ones.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019

My Thinkware F770 has been good as gold since install. I believe if the camera manufacturer uses an inferior cable type, you'll have issues. Also if the rear cam draws a larger current, again causes interference.

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
@Lozzy15 - A couple of questions now you've been running the installation for a while:

Where did you end up placing the power magic pro box?

Do you find you need to access the switch on the box at all to turn off the power for parking mode?

What settings did you chose for the battery level? There are only two choices for cars, either 12v or 12.5v.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
@Lozzy15 - A couple of questions now you've been running the installation for a while:

Where did you end up placing the power magic pro box?

Do you find you need to access the switch on the box at all to turn off the power for parking mode?

What settings did you chose for the battery level? There are only two choices for cars, either 12v or 12.5v.

Hi ReddStripe,
I placed the box behind the removable panel on the end of the dash on the passenger side, this allows easy access should you need to access it.
If I ever needed to turn off parking mode, I'd just unplug the wire to the dashcam unit in the window screen. For battery level I initially set it to 12v, and true to form it did shut off power to the unit when the battery reached 12v, but the car didn't like it being at 12v (Sometimes got a warning on the dash about the battery having low power) so I changed it to 12.5v.

You can also set it to turn the cam off after a certain amount of time, or both time and voltage where it turns off when whichever occurs first.

To see the location I put my box, see this video I made. I made it to show someone the wiring for the subwoofer I have installed, but you can clearly see where the magic pro box is situated in it:

Cheers,
Lozzy

Reactions: ReddStripe
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.