How many ibiza 1.5 evo where built?

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
My Drive: Seat Ibiza 1;5 evo

Just a thought I had the other day. In this world of mass production. I have not owned a rare car as such. Would not really want too as spare parts my become an issue or expensive. : (

However my Ibiza with the 1.5 engine was not in production for long 8 months maybe a year??? Thankfully many other Seat and VW products share this engine. Arona, Leon, Polo, Golf, to name but a few. Not sure about Skoda's and Audis? Which means spares should be plentiful.

I know the factory in Spain must be capable producing a hundreds a week? Yet at the time they where producing many models. Also in a time when new car sales was a bit slow to say the least. However due to the very short run before Seat decided to drop this line. It surely can not be many, compared to the three cylinder derivatives? Out of interest and curiosity can anybody put a figure to this?

Many people seem to be disappointed they never got the chance to get a 4 cylinder 1.5 which has a nice smooth unstressed bigger car feel to it. Yet still very fugal on fuel. Are they sought after? Will this mean this derivative may hold its resale value better?

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Hello there,

I'm not sure how many were made or sold,
but from what I've heard the reason why the 1.5 engine was possibly dropped by VWAG was the ongoing issues with the ECU, the 1.5 engine had erratic idle causing stalling and dangerous power loss at junctions at low revs, plus can suffer with bad turbo lag at low speeds.
Most of the issues are at first start up from cold when the ECU is going through it's cold start program, but people have still experienced these problems even when the engine is up to running temperature.
An ECU software update was made available at most VW Dealerships from late May or early June 2019
This has had mixed opinions most of which didn't fix their problems, I think the 1.5 TSI was ment to replace the 1.4 TSI, but due to the idle running issues and the ECU software recall upgrade not working for most, VWAG I think decided to end production of the 1.5 engine, as they weren't able to rectify the above issues experienced ?

If your 1.5 SEAT Ibiza is problem free then you're one of the lucky few.

There's a thread on this Forum that I found about this 1.5 TSI engine.
Link below:
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/ibiza-1-5-disappeared-off-the-uk-site.447715/

Hope this helps
Si

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
SEAT sales weren't slow last year - it was a record year for the company!

I'm not convinced they''ve stopped making it mind you.

For instance I can spec and order a Skoda Octavia with one right now on Skoda UK.

I believe withdrawing it from small cars like the Ibiza was done to maximise profits - buyers who want the 1.5 are forced to buy a bigger more expensive and profit-making vehicle.

Reactions: RUM4MO

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
Hello there,

I'm not sure how many were made or sold,
but from what I've heard the reason why the 1.5 engine was possibly dropped by VWAG was the ongoing issues with the ECU, the 1.5 engine had erratic idle causing stalling and dangerous power loss at junctions at low revs, plus can suffer with bad turbo lag at low speeds.
Most of the issues are at first start up from cold when the ECU is going through it's cold start program, but people have still experienced these problems even when the engine is up to running temperature.
An ECU software update was made available at most VW Dealerships from late May or early June 2019
This has had mixed opinions most of which didn't fix their problems, I think the 1.5 TSI was ment to replace the 1.4 TSI, but due to the idle running issues and the ECU software recall upgrade not working for most, VWAG I think decided to end production of the 1.5 engine, as they weren't able to rectify the above issues experienced ?

If your 1.5 SEAT Ibiza is problem free then you're one of the lucky few.

There's a thread on this Forum that I found about this 1.5 TSI engine.
Link below:
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/ibiza-1-5-disappeared-off-the-uk-site.447715/

Hope this helps
Si
Wow! Si that was a very comprehensive reply, thank you. I have no idling issues. Or the reported Kangerooing, stalling or loss of power. So not had the software update. However there is noticeable turbo lag at low speed.

I understand this engine is still very much available in other models? Arona, Leon, Polo, Golf, Skoda fabia Not sure about Audi's? This engine just got taken away from the Ibiza? They are obviously still producing this engine. Do you possibly think it has been removed due to a production shortage. Caused by so many new models requiring this engine? The decision was based on taking it away from the value car choice. Which was first to benefit from the new latest chassis platform.

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
Wow! Si that was a very comprehensive reply, thank you. I have no idling issues. Or the reported Kangerooing, stalling or loss of power. So not had the software update. However there is noticeable turbo lag at low speed.

I understand this engine is still very much available in other models? Arona, Leon, Polo, Golf, Skoda fabia Not sure about Audi's? This engine just got taken away from the Ibiza? They are obviously still producing this engine. Do you possibly think it has been removed due to a production shortage. Caused by so many new models requiring this engine? The decision was based on taking it away from the value car choice. Which was first to benefit from the new latest chassis platform.

Mate of mine works for VW in Dorset,
he mentioned that VW were possibly going to drop the 1.5 engine due to complaints of it's erratic idle running issues, but admitted it's not 100% it hasn't been confirmed, which is why I typed ? in my original post reply.
Also told me that not all cars with the 1.5 engine suffer any problems, which is strange.
Apparently the software update for the ECU can help but not always.
This is all I've been told regarding the above issue.

Other than that it's like what camelspyyder has said, just been dropped from the small vehicle's ?

Si

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It does seem to be a weird thing with the 1.5TSI, a friend of my wife has a late 2017 Golf with that engine and no problems, my mate has a May 2018 T-ROC with that engine and again no problems, at least his car still has the original version of S/W s would I'd expect the Golf my wife's friend has, and both have new S/W version available going by a TPI I saw online that Skoda issued.

As said, having that engine in small cars would be brilliant - but, it seems when you fit that engine to an R-Line Polo, the car costs more than the basic Polo GTI - and so that would be a problem, so currently no space in the market for it until VW Group can drive costs down. My wife has a 6C Polo 1.2TSI 110PS, I'm sure a Polo 1.5TSI with either 130PS or 150PS would be a very handy runabout to have, as would a similar Ibiza or A1, not sure that Skoda could justify charging customers for a Fabia with that engine in while sticking to their "sensible" sales image.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
There can't be many 1.5 TSI ibiza about with all the option boxes ticked. My 2018 1.5 TSI FR has almost all options, keyless, climate control, reversing camera, wireless charger/GSM signal booster (they were banned a few months after I got mine), adaptive cruise etc. You can't even buy a brand new arona/ibiza FR with all these options today.

1.5 TSI ibiza are also quite rare on Autotrader and ones with the extras are extremely uncommon.

Anyway my 1.5 will be on the market next year as I've just put the cash down for a Mini Electric.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I noticed an email from Autoexpress in my mailbox, looking at the next version of Skoda Fabia, petrol engines will be 1.0 and 1.2 both 3 cylinder engines with top output of 105 either HP or PS I've forgotten - so does this mean that 100 or so HP or PS is just a bit too much for the 1.0 3 cylinder petrol engines?

kwlw

Nov 22, 2019
I believe it's all about WLTP. They needed to spoil the cars because of it. Some of you guys, pay taxes according to the data VAG has provided to your country legislation. Some of this data was "not realistic". So IMHO they needed to lower the idle, 0w20 oil and other bad stuff to somehow crimp out of situation currently and drop some fuel drinking models out of production because of this. Probably margin of profit on them is not worth the fines. There will be layoffs quite soon, because of new EU regulation which forces manufacturers towards electric cars.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...w-emissions-rules-come-with-39-billion-threat

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
I really can not believe electric cars are the answer yet. I can remember being in London in the 70's with leaded petrol fumes. Used to give you a splitting headache. The buildings where all stained black with it. If it rained your face would have streaks on it. I will not go in to what came down your nose after a day in central London. I am certainly not advocating that the air there now has the health benefits of Switzerland mountain air, far from it

Car exhaust is so much cleaner today. Also the mpg you get out has probably doubled around town. In the 70's it was good with a medium sized family car to get 28 to 30 around town. Possibly 35 mpg on a run. There are very big polluters getting away with it scot free. Airlines, What comes out of the thousands of planes going over? Petrol refineries with no filtration what so ever. Supermarkets flying parsley from Peru. Poorly build inefficient modern homes. Other countries having there turn at a dirty industrial revolution. China, India, Russia, Not to mention the USA.

I am not an ecowarrior by any means. However it just can not be the motorist solely to blame. I also do not think we have been told the whole truth on battery cars. Such as the mining of the lithium. How recyclable are life expired batteries??? How much extra generation capacity will be needed for all these cars on charge? It is certainly not carbon neutral. I hate that very saying. As there are 15 billion human beings on this planet and rising fast. Unless we are all going to go back to living in caves and picking our arse, I just can not see carbon neutral happening soon.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes, "whole life environmental impact" should be considered before making any changes, EVs has some very environmental destroy elements in them - just not destroying our backyard, NIMBYishs.

Improved infrastructure should be taking care of how we use or need to use our cars, plus at least in UK fuel prices should rise and Road Tax should drop to just a punitive annual admin fee after the initial new car payment - I would say having an Audi S4 which costs well over £550 a year in road tax and only gets used to run about 3K miles a year. So my point there is, how fair is that system, someone with a smaller but still slightly dirty car running 20K a year and a lot of that in inner cities, should be paying a lot more than me in "pollution tax".

More money needs to go into electrical energy storage and even domestic energy storage - but, in reality, before buying in from foreign lands, thousands of wind generators, there should have been investment in mass electrical energy storage so that the two winning parties in this game were not just the foreign makers of these wind generators and the landowners who harvest money from being paid to keep their wind generators offline during dips in demand.

So yes "business" and incompetent "government" are the only winners here.

Reactions: IanH72
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise