Moving From An Ateca to Mk3

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
As some of you may know we have an Ateca, this has been a good car but in reality its not likely to see the usage that we expected and my wife is now considering changing it. Its an Excellence with 4-Drive, DSG etc.

We got the 4-drive as we live in a small village and getting our daughter to school entails trips over some lovely hills and we figured if we did get any snow it would help, more on that later though.

Im not 100% sure this is the right section though as I think we are looking at a Leon Cupra, I think it will be a 2017 plate or something around there, but im after some thoughts.

Are there any things to really be aware of when buying the mk3? We have a 2007 mk2 as well and thats been a really good car.

Going back to the 4-Drive point, my main question is how much its really worth it. I have seen some vids on the internet where winter tyres have been tested on a 2wd car vs a 4wd car on summer tyres and winter tyres make a huge difference so we are thinking it would make sense to get winter tyres anyway. Also can you get 4-drive on anything other than the estate? We're not against the estate but wonder if we really need that space or if a hatchback will do.

Thoughts on a postcard,

Thanks

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
4drive is on estate only, but it’s also available on the the Xperience model as well. (Higher ride height and plastic bumper and arch extensions).

And yes winter tyres makes a bigger difference than 4WD. Put them a 4WD as well though and you’re laughing.

Reactions: RUM4MO

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
4drive is on estate only, but it’s also available on the the Xperience model as well. (Higher ride height and plastic bumper and arch extensions).

And yes winter tyres makes a bigger difference than 4WD. Put them a 4WD as well though and you’re laughing.

Thats what I thought, 4wd AND winter tyres in my mind mean rally car! :roflmao:

We bought the Ateca with a specific thing in mind, towing, that has now gone and she does like fast thing, we met through motorbiking and she was very good at that, so we agree that the Cupra makes sense...

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
If you want 4wd and hatchback then why not look at an audi s3 / golf r

Mainly the cost. The price is quite a lot higher for the same car... We do like the SEAT brand as well (i know its all VAG)

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I personally find that the estate doesn't ever feel like an estate. In fact moving from the Mk2 to the Mk3 the estate felt more chuckable and nimble.

It was the 4drive that made it feel a bit more lardy, but if you're going from an Ateca to a Leon Cupra, you'll probably find the opposite! :)

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
Winter tyres make a world of difference. Make sure you don’t like in an area prone to Golf Rs/Audi S3s being stolen off the driveway. It’s enough to put me off buying one.

Reactions: RUM4MO

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
Winter tyres make a world of difference. Make sure you don’t like in an area prone to Golf Rs/Audi S3s being stolen off the driveway. It’s enough to put me off buying one.

I live in a small village my neighbours have much nicer cars that these, AMG V8biturbo Mercs and the like. It’s a random place of petrolheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jazzjames