German or Spanish Built?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Suggest a new dealer or salesman :cry: odd when the 'seller' doesn't know their product! :D

In my 40+ years of car ownership, I’ve found most car salespeople I’ve dealt with generally know less about the product they’re selling than a reasonably well informed buyer who’s spent a little time doing some research. There will always be exceptions though, and I have dealt with one or two very good salespeople, but the majority have been lacking in product knowledge.

The salesperson’s primary objective will be to hit their monthly / quarterly sales targets so they get their bonus and commission - good product knowledge is unlikely to be high on their list of priorities.

Sad but true, based on my personal experience.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Never ceases to amaze me how little product knowledge a lot of sales people have. Having said that, our local SEAT dealership are top-notch.
Unlike the one who insisted that the Ateca is made in Spain o_O

Reactions: Loadmaster748

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I certainly would never have guessed that an Audi wasn't built in Germany...

If asked, most people would think that was the case. However, Audi have production facilities in Hungary, Belgium, Slovakia, Mexico as well as Germany, and the current A1 is built at the Seat Factory in Martorell, Spain.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Yeah most salesmen are genuinely clueless.

Take that from someone in the trade for the last 10 years on the service side. The sales guys bar the odd one, don't have an interest in cars, how they work or what they do etc..

Also, due to the nature of their job, they move from manufacturer to manufacturer all the time, and just end up blagging to get a sale due to lack of product knowledge.

Best thing always to do is do your research and work it out on your own !

20VT_AUQ

Roar
Dec 5, 2019
who cares LOL, both Spain and Germany are serious countries with rigid quality controls and methods.

I worked for Renault's factory there's one in my city (Valladolid) and another one 40km from here (Palencia) where the Megane RS is built like any other Megane. Would be fun to work in Martorell where my Toledo mk2 was originally made :)

Not accurate to say a car is "german" or "spanish" or whatever. In today's world everything is multinational, specially with cars. A car can be designed by a Spanish guy, engineered by a German team, and assembled by some Czech dudes, and that's fine by me.

Reactions: '& Son' managed

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Years gone by we would attend courses with the manufacturers on new models and be subject to testing on this now, salesmen/women are lucky to see a brochure, they do get information packs but I’ve seen the product in the showroom before any info arrives. Time and cost cutting are the enemy but, there are good ones amongst the bad, you find a good one and stick to him.

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
who cares LOL, both Spain and Germany are serious countries with rigid quality controls and methods.

I worked for Renault's factory there's one in my city (Valladolid) and another one 40km from here (Palencia) where the Megane RS is built like any other Megane. Would be fun to work in Martorell where my Toledo mk2 was originally made :)

Not accurate to say a car is "german" or "spanish" or whatever. In today's world everything is multinational, specially with cars. A car can be designed by a Spanish guy, engineered by a German team, and assembled by some Czech dudes, and that's fine by me.

To be quite honest, I'd rather a be car built in Germany instead of Spain. Probably an outdated and unjustified opinion, but that's how I feel.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
To be quite honest, I'd rather a be car built in Germany instead of Spain. Probably an outdated and unjustified opinion, but that's how I feel.

I’ve had four VW’s; three were built in Germany and the current one was built in Spain.

IMO, the Spanish built car is a better built car than the previous three; no interior creaks or rattles after nearly four years on a car with a firm suspension set up, and unlike the previous three, all panel gaps are even and a consistent size.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.