Driving temperatures

Dec 10, 2019
Wales
Guys,

I am very new this forum, and to my cupra
I have a MK1 Cupra 225, 52000 miles

Can any of you advise from a cold engine when it is best to start opening her up i.e temperature, time, how high to take the revs? Also cooling down as well.

I have tried Google but would rather have advice from owners of this car.

I have always had 1.6 engines this is very new to me but have wanted one and It is untouched

Thanks all.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
Hi I would say wait till it’s up to normal running temp with I think is 90 the needle should be straight up in the middle off the gauge and I normally do a chill out run two miles from home and it’s the last thing I turn off when I do get home lights wipers seat belt off all windows up fold mirrors in radio off then turn engine off or just wait 30 seconds with the engine just ticking over that’s what I do some may say different on the cool down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
As above.
I warm it up for 2-3 mins before pulling away.
Others will tell you it’s unnecessary.
I always wait until temp gauge has hit normal temp.
Believe it’s 90. Or strait in the middle of dial before giving it beans. Until then I keep it under 4000 revs.
When warmed up take it just into redline.
Change gears at 5800-6500
and you’ll be using every drop of power.
You have a limiter there anyway so if your change is late it’ll just bounce on limiter rather than spit bits of engine out. Don’t be scared to hit limiter. It’s there to protect. Not ideal but it happens rarely when you’re getting used to the speed it revs out and the best change point on a new car.
Cool down I try and do last mile or so off the gas as much as poss.
Leave it running when you stop and let turbo cool a little before switching off.
By the way. Sounds like a decent car. 52K is low.
Although mine was 49k with a few BIG hidden problems.
I hope yours is plain sailing.
Good luck with it.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: sjt301084

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Ye warm up to tempreure and to cool down around 30 secs for the turbine to stop spinning with the oil feed still running

Reactions: sjt301084

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
The gauge on the dash is coolant temperature not oil temperature. It takes much longer for oil to warm up and that’s the important thing, right? Shoot me down if I’m wrong. I guess the longer you can leave it to warm up the better.
Anyhow, guidance above seems pretty good.
I love @Sparkie comments about bouncing off the rev limiter!!:yes:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
The gauge on the dash is coolant temperature not oil temperature. It takes much longer for oil to warm up and that’s the important thing, right? Shoot me down if I’m wrong. I guess the longer you can leave it to warm up the better.
Anyhow, guidance above seems pretty good.
I love @Sparkie comments about bouncing off the rev limiter!!:yes:

Yup, you are right. I use the coolant temp + 2 miles as a guess. But I don't rag it for the sake of it anyway. Just if I'm getting round a car doing 28 in a 60. Normally I'll just cruise at the speed limit.

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
For what its worth... and its probably not a lot. I have been testing out warm-up times in our Ateca. Normal water temp warmup is quicker than oil warnup. However with modern oils its not such a huge issue. I tend to wait until water temps are up +5mins for the oil.

Cool down is simple enough just dont thrash it for the last couple of miles and if you really want to sit on the drive with it running for a couple of mins although in a stock car id say thats less important personally.

jamfull

Feb 6, 2011
Using my liquid gauge it takes about 4 miles for my oil temp to reach normal temperature

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.