DIY hardwire dashcam installation

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
@bigup Glad you sorted it. That's what I ended up using rather than a 5v converter because that caused interference with the radio.

Reactions: bigup

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the guide.

Just installed my dashcam at the weekend. I bought a complete hardwire kit off Amazon and used the 10a fuse slot (bottom 4th from left) which also goes off with ignition. It took me about 30 mins, happy days.

Cheers

Reactions: bgb

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
I’m changing fuses tomorrow as my dashcam is playing up freezing constantly and I think it’s because I have set it on a permanent live fuse (which I wanted but now it’s no good anyway as the windscreen is iced up/ watered over at night )

will try the yellow one as OP circled in this guide.

thanks for this guide, very useful.

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
I’m changing fuses tomorrow as my dashcam is playing up freezing constantly and I think it’s because I have set it on a permanent live fuse (which I wanted but now it’s no good anyway as the windscreen is iced up/ watered over at night )

will try the yellow one as OP circled in this guide.

thanks for this guide, very useful.

One of my dash cams started freezing and it turned out to be the memory card, something to check if you have a spare card.

Reactions: LR231998

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
One of my dash cams started freezing and it turned out to be the memory card, something to check if you have a spare card.

yeah I’ve had a bad experience recently. Sandisk one packed up and was only recording 20 secs at a time so I bit the bullet and got the genuine nextbase 128gb U3 one and now it’s started freezing occasionally. I think it could be partly down to the weather how cold it is out. But I will put it onto a ignition on feed and see how it goes from there. I also run the rear one plugged into the front camera (NB 522GW) so I do think it’s a lot of work to be recording two videos 24/7.

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
yeah I’ve had a bad experience recently. Sandisk one packed up and was only recording 20 secs at a time so I bit the bullet and got the genuine nextbase 128gb U3 one and now it’s started freezing occasionally. I think it could be partly down to the weather how cold it is out. But I will put it onto a ignition on feed and see how it goes from there. I also run the rear one plugged into the front camera (NB 522GW) so I do think it’s a lot of work to be recording two videos 24/7.
The card I had trouble with was a SanDisk, although it works fine in my mobile, so I think it was maybe a compatibility issue. Swapped it for a Samsung Evo U1 and it now works perfectly.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
The card I had trouble with was a SanDisk, although it works fine in my mobile, so I think it was maybe a compatibility issue. Swapped it for a Samsung Evo U1 and it now works perfectly.
The next base one is the one that I’m experiencing freezing with which is why I’m sure it’s a camera/ power issues

Reactions: MiTz

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
The next base one is the one that I’m experiencing freezing with which is why I’m sure it’s a camera/ power issues

Mine didn't work with a 128gb card, so using a 64gb now, which seems to be best for my cam.

Best of luck with it anyway mate

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Mine didn't work with a 128gb card, so using a 64gb now, which seems to be best for my cam.

Best of luck with it anyway mate
Yeah the series 2 nextbase cams can handle 128gb cards and nextbase actually produce this size card. Dash cams are one of those things that are so frustrating. It’s either video playback issues (app not connecting etc) or actual recording issues (freezing etc etc). They’re incredibly unreliable especially for the high end prices. Software seems to be glitchy too.

May I ask what camera you have?

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
Yeah the series 2 nextbase cams can handle 128gb cards and nextbase actually produce this size card. Dash cams are one of those things that are so frustrating. It’s either video playback issues (app not connecting etc) or actual recording issues (freezing etc etc). They’re incredibly unreliable especially for the high end prices. Software seems to be glitchy too.

May I ask what camera you have?

I have an Auto Vox D6 pro and also an Apeman C660, both are very good cams for the money

bgb

Jan 22, 2019

I know the genuine Nextbase one is 'U3' but i was told and found out that my Thinkware F770 would only work well with a 'U1'.

128gb Sandisk 'U1' hasn't thrown me any errors in the last 8 months, maybe worth giving it a go? I paid £20 for mine on amazon but now they are around £12.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B073JYC4XM

That one is the exact one talked about on Thinkware and Dashcam forums :yes:

Thinkware themselves produced a high capacity card once that everyone found stopped working...:rolleyes:

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
I know the genuine Nextbase one is 'U3' but i was told and found out that my Thinkware F770 would only work well with a 'U1'.

128gb Sandisk 'U1' hasn't thrown me any errors in the last 8 months, maybe worth giving it a go? I paid £20 for mine on amazon but now they are around £12.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B073JYC4XM

That one is the exact one talked about on Thinkware and Dashcam forums :yes:

Thinkware themselves produced a high capacity card once that everyone found stopped working...:rolleyes:

I had a U1 Sandisk card, and then a U3 Sandisk card which worked but only for around a month, then stopped recording after 20 secs each video.

To use both front and rear camera you need to use a U3 card, if not it wont (and doesn’t) work. I now have the U3 nextbase card. I went to the car today and the camera had stopped completely and the battery low warning came up on my car.

I’ve now swapped the fuse to an ignition live only fuse and drove around 75 miles today and it seems to be working well with a bit of luck.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Hey guys, sorry for bumping the thread.

Due to a recent theft of an S3 close to us I'm thinking about upping security a little.

My parking space is to the side of our house but due to trees etc I don't have a clear view from the house.

Is there a dash cam solution that has motion detection and the option to relay a warning or to stream live video to my phone via WiFi when parked?

The car is parked less the 6 metres away from where the WiFi router is placed.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
You'd be better off with a home CCTV system as many are now designed to ping alerts to your mobile phone and live stream etc. That's what my Arlo cameras do.

A dashcam isn't going to help you as the thieves don't enter the car through the widescreen :D

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Hey guys, sorry for bumping the thread.

Due to a recent theft of an S3 close to us I'm thinking about upping security a little.

My parking space is to the side of our house but due to trees etc I don't have a clear view from the house.

Is there a dash cam solution that has motion detection and the option to relay a warning or to stream live video to my phone via WiFi when parked?

The car is parked less the 6 metres away from where the WiFi router is placed.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

You can have a look at the Blackvue range of Dashcams. Certain models will send you warnings to your phone.

Look towards the DR750 or DR900. Both have Wi-fi over the cloud connection which allows real time viewing of images seen by the cam and motion detection. They are costly, but what’s your car worth to you??

@paddy6789 May have more info as I think he has the higher end Blackvue Dashcams fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.